LIVE EARTH

Someone posted on lightnetwork.com that the Germany stage had a Hog3 running the LEDs across 29 universes. Can anyone confirm this?
I was just thinking about something Brad had told me about the reason for the DP2000's each having their own DMX processor rather than all the processing being done in the console itself. I assume that 29 universes of LEDs is a good example. So, would this be more difficult for other consoles that don't have additional processing power in their nodes?
  • My business partner and I are currently pre programming a project with about 31 universes of LED fixtures. Before committing to a platform we did a shootout. Unfortunately with this amount of LED fixtures the WH3 left us with undesireable results even with its additional processing
  • I'm pretty shure he meant to say that he had a Hog3+Catalyst, and 29 universes of pixelmad out of the catalyst.. Atleast that is what i got out of the post/thread..
  • In tests and shows I have found that as long as you stick to less than 1000 LED (or any other HTP for that matter) channels patched per DP the results are acceptable. This is not to say that you can't use the other 2 outputs, simply that spreading the load across the network with other fixture types helps.

Ross
  • Scott,

I think that Anders is correct that the show in Germany used a Catalyst and that the Catalyst sent Art-Net out to the LEDs totaling 29 universes. I believe the Wholehog was actually only controlling the Catalyst. I have not confirmed this, but that is what i read when I saw the initial post.
  • At Live Earth Hamburg we used a Hog 3 with a big wing for the control of 2 Catalyst media servers. One of the Catalyst connected via an ImagePro and SDI to the "HiRes" LED wall. The second Catalyst ran the "LoRes" LED fixtures in the backwall (Pulsar ChromaPanels and ELP60 LED Striplites) on 29 Pixelmad universes.

The actual output of the Hog3 was only two universes (one per server / 12 * 40 channels = 480 channels per server)

For any additional info please feel free to ask.

Olli
    ---
    Oliver Ranft, Aachen, Germany
  • First of all I have to say that I had free choice of my FOH control tools.

Sure this job could have been done with other consoles as well - but with the Hog3 I have the fastest access to change cue timing and with the expansion wing I had a lot of direct controls.

The concept was to have a "festival setup" on the expansion and have on-the-fly access to different colour look and different effects as well as Flashing or strobing in different colours.

On the console masters I had inhibitive masters for the different LED lighting Layers (HiRes, Chromapanels and ELP60s) and a set of five masters that contained individual look per song (due to programming time I kept it simple like Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Break and AddOn)

Worked great with the Hog3 - no problems during programming or show. Just when returning to the venue after a short time of sleep and a long night of programming I found the console freezed up...
    But with a backup console in place (and the show backuped before heading to the hotel...) I did not have to wait for the battery to be exhausted to restart the console...

For the media server the Catalyst was the tool of my choice as I have long going expierence with it (since 2002 I think).
    One server created a split screen ouput on two mixes for the HiRes LED Strip (1536 x 96 pixels) which was converted by an ImagePro to SD-SDI to connect to the Encore running the LED Strip.
    The other server ran the Pixelmad plugin and sent Artnet on 3 universes to the 400 Chromapanels and on 26 universes to the 220 ELP60s (okay about 30 of them were ELP30s - have size fixtures).
    Worked well on the server site. We had a few timing issues on the side of the Artnet-Output-Nodes (Frames stuck in buffer when changing fast).

For more detailed information on media server setup this is the wrong forum - start a new discussion on www.catvx.com...

Lighting and Set Designer for Live Earth Hamburg was Andreas "Woody" Wodzinski.
    Video Director for TV Feed was Marc Achterberg.
    Moving Lights and Generics operated by Lars Wulff on a grey console with colorful screens... ;-)
    LED Backwall programming by me.
    Video Content for the backwall and LED strip created by Bjoern Feldmann-Bethe and me.

Cheers, Olli
    --

Oliver Ranft, Aachen, Germany
  • i have done up to 60 universes.

You have to be a bit clever with your networking - to make a large number of universes work - otherwise the network can become saturated at the artnet output device-

you need to use an ethernet switch which will route all the data to each individual artnet output device- there is a special output mode to try and facilitate this - you run artnet in 'direct mode' - to each output artnet box using the exact polled tcpip of each output box - not the broadcast output from catalyst.
    this is in the output setup for catalyst for artnet.

if you do this only the dmx universe for each box should only go down the ethernet cable between the ethernet switch and the output artnet box and not get sent to every artnet device.

---

If anyone wants to try - there is a test mode in the catalyst preferences which does 100 universes- though i dont think anyone has used it yet.

Richard
  • Richard - and all other interested in this discussion:

I started a new thread on www.catvx.com called Pixelmad @ Live Earth Hamburg.

This discussion is not really Hog3 related any longer...

Olli
Related