Hog III problems and bugs

Anyone having problems creating playback macro's that actually work?
Anyone having problems with the main output window when changing the priority of the layout? Every time I change the order, it doesn't stay the way I lay it out.
Why does the show pallets button not stay toggled on?
Anyone else have a problem with not being able to use IFCB fader mode in cue lists? Scene mode does, however you cannot have more than one scene on a fader which eats up faders.
When changing rate on a playback, the cue stops while turning the rate wheel. This looks like crap during a live show. Hog II does it better.
Why when using a template page, can you not get next page button to return to the template page?
Why does a technobeam color macro work after creating it and saving it into the color pallet and the same macro on a PC beam will not work when trying to access it within the color pallet?
Both were recorded the same way.
There is a bug in the playback section where one cuelist affects other cuelists with the same fixtures even when the go or goto button is not pressed.

Hope there is something that will be done soon to fix these issues soon or I will have to go back to Hog II.
  • I'm going to try and answer some of these to the best of my ability...so here goes....

[QUOTE=JeffM]Anyone having problems creating playback macro's that actually work?

I use the comment macros on every show I do and do not have any problems. Which macros in particular are you referring to. Without that information, we can't help.

[QUOTE=JeffM]
    Anyone having problems with the main output window when changing the priority of the layout? Every time I change the order, it doesn't stay the way I lay it out.

I'm not sure what you mean about the priority of the layout. Are you talking about the physical windows? Are you using the lock feature once you set them in place? Are you recording these into a view and the view is being overridden by something?

[QUOTE=JeffM]

If it's not recorded in the view that way, it will change. If you record it into your view, it stays. And then if you record another view with it off, it will change. I record it into all of my views and never had a problem.

[QUOTE=JeffM]
    Anyone else have a problem with not being able to use IFCB fader mode in cue lists? Scene mode does, however you cannot have more than one scene on a fader which eats up faders.

Would I like it...maybe. I don't use it very much at all. Whether on scenes or cuelists, I have only used it a handful of times, so I can't really comment on whether or not I "miss" them on cuelists.

[QUOTE=JeffM]
    When changing rate on a playback, the cue stops while turning the rate wheel. This looks like crap during a live show. Hog II does it better.

I don't think I've experienced this so I can't comment on it.

[QUOTE=JeffM]
    Why when using a template page, can you not get next page button to return to the template page?

I believe (at least this was always my assumption) is that once the page is set as template, you don't want to accidentally change it so you must you the "Page X Open" command to get to it. That way if you weren't paying attention and changed something on the template page, it would change every other page that was already laid out. At least, that is my personal take on it.

[QUOTE=JeffM]
    Why does a technobeam color macro work after creating it and saving it into the color pallet and the same macro on a PC beam will not work when trying to access it within the color pallet?

Haven't worked with Techno's on the III so I can't comment on this one either....

[QUOTE=JeffM]
    There is a bug in the playback section where one cuelist affects other cuelists with the same fixtures even when the go or goto button is not pressed.

Can you describe this one in a little more detail? I'm having trouble figuring out what you're trying to say...

[QUOTE=JeffM]
    Hope there is something that will be done soon to fix these issues soon or I will have to go back to Hog II.

Sorry to hear that...I personally dread going back to Hog II software whenever I have to do it. Are there issues, absolutely. Are there issues that stop me during shows? Not really. I haven't had anything I couldn't handle or accept during a show for a long time.

As a Hog III user 5-7 days a week, maybe I have just become acustomed to the software and know where and what I cannot do. I don't know. I do know that I enjoy programming on the software and love all of the little bits of features that make it very easy to program.

This is just one user's opinion and your mileage may vary unfortunately....

J
  • [quote=JeffM]Anyone having problems creating playback macro's that actually work?

I haven't seen or heard reports recently of problems with comment macros. Can you tell us the exact comment macro syntax you're using and what's not working correctly when it runs?

[quote=JeffM]Anyone having problems with the main output window when changing the priority of the layout? Every time I change the order, it doesn't stay the way I lay it out.

As Jon mentioned, window layouts and option button states are stored in views. If you use priority to arrange the window, it will remain in that order if you close and reopen the window. If you recall a view, the window options will revert to what is stored in the view. Set the window options and layout that you want and then record this into your view.

[quote=JeffM]Anyone else have a problem with not being able to use IFCB fader mode in cue lists? Scene mode does, however you cannot have more than one scene on a fader which eats up faders.

There is not an IPCB crossfader option for cuelists. We do plan to implement this functionality and it is currently logged as feature request #6004. You can use scenes to manually fade a look in and out or you can use the manual crossfader option for cuelists to crossfade by hand through a sequence of cues.

[quote=JeffM]When changing rate on a playback, the cue stops while turning the rate wheel. This looks like crap during a live show. Hog II does it better.

Can you give me more details about what exactly you're trying to do? Are you changing the rate of a cue that is currently crossfading? Are you changing the rate of a chase?

[quote=JeffM]Why when using a template page, can you not get next page button to return to the template page?

The template page is designed to give users a way to have a set of common playbacks that will appear on every page. It generally isn't thought of as a page that is used on its own during playback, so the Next Page key will not take you to the template page. You can access the template page directly with the syntax "Page X Enter" (where X is the page number). You could also just create an empty page so that Next Page would take you to a page that just has your templated items.

[quote=JeffM]Why does a technobeam color macro work after creating it and saving it into the color pallet and the same macro on a PC beam will not work when trying to access it within the color pallet?

The Studio Beam has a different color system than most lights. It uses 3 wheels for CMY, but each has 2 additional slotted color flags at the end. This can make color palettes recorded with other fixtures apply in ways you wouldn't expect because they have both slotted and mixed color information, but only one or the other can be applied to the Studio Beam. I would suggest recording these palettes with only the Studio Beams selected (or merging just the Studio Beams into an existing global palette) so that you get exactly what you're looking for.

[quote=JeffM]There is a bug in the playback section where one cuelist affects other cuelists with the same fixtures even when the go or goto button is not pressed.

I haven't seen a non-active playback affect fixtures that it isn't supposed to, but I'd be very interested in hearing more about this. Can you give me exact steps that I can use to reproduce the problem here or send me a show file that will exhibit the behaviour that you describe?

[quote=JeffM]Hope there is something that will be done soon to fix these issues soon or I will have to go back to Hog II.

We are always working to improve the stability and functionality of the Wholehog software and we will be releasing a software update in the near future. If you can get me the details that I've asked for above, I'd be glad to look into your reports further and open defects or requests as necessary.

Thanks.
Related