Cloning for Dummies

RobbieGRobbieG Registered User
Hello All,

New to this I may be, however was pretty good at cloning on Hog II.

Hog III now and I can't do it with the 'copy to' syntax.

I can 'copy to' fixtures selected in the programmer to a range of fixtures that I type on the keyboard.

However why can't I just press the group button for the fixtures i want to 'copy to'? ie is there a better syntax than [Group] 'copy to' [new group]?

If I do that the console wants to create loads more groups, for some bonkers reason. well probably a great reason but i don't know what it is...

Comments

• cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited June 2007
    When you are cloning/copying fixtures try using this syntax as I have had this particular problem before (usually when trying to clone effects) and have used this syntax to solve the problem;

551 Thru 553 Copy FIXTURE 561 Thru 563 Enter

Push the Fixture button when specifying the target range (incidentally, this is the same thing you do when you want to clone one group to another).

See if this helps,i've taken the text from another post similar to yours.
    C
  • quinnquinn Registered User
    edited June 2007
    RobbieG wrote:
    If I do that the console wants to create loads more groups, for some bonkers reason. well probably a great reason but i don't know what it is...

III's new "backwards" syntax introduces some long-needed flexibility into the command line. and as great as it is, cloning to and from groups is one of the very very few cases that the new syntax can't accomodate.

When you ask the console to [Group] 'copy to' [new group], it does exactly that: makes a copy of the actual group.

or, to put it another way, if [Group] 'copy to' [new group] were to clone levels in the programmer, how would you tell the console to make a copy of a group??

brad once had a notion of improving this.

so that's the story with that... now...

BEWARE of the Fixture key!

[Group] 'copy to' [Fixture] [new group] does *NOT* result in a successful clone. (as of 1618)

selection order is totally and completely disregarded in this "Fixture Group Clone" operation.

and it hasn't been fixed in any of the 800 or so builds we've seen over the last two years.
  • jabadgerjabadger Registered User
    edited June 2007
    quinn wrote:
    [Group] 'copy to' [Fixture] [new group] does *NOT* result in a successful clone. (as of 1618)

selection order is totally and completely disregarded in this "Fixture Group Clone" operation.

and it hasn't been fixed in any of the 800 or so builds we've seen over the last two years.

Um, we must be talking about different things here because I see it differently as I enter it in here. And it works just fine in relation to desk channels.

-I made two groups of 5 desk channels each.
    -Put the channels in the first group at different levels.
    -Type into programmer - GROUP 1 COPY FIXTURE GROUP 2 ENTER, bam. works fine.

Sooo, what are you talking about?
  • quinnquinn Registered User
    edited June 2007
    jase you're famous! one of my designers just came back from classes in new york (broadway master?? naw couldn't be...?) and totally remembered your name cuz they couldn't stop sayin it! go you yo.

i'm seeing issues (dis)regarding the selection order recorded in the Source and Destination groups

Group Cloning II.JPGGroup Cloning III.JPG
  • SourceChildSourceChild Registered User
    edited June 2007
    cormacjack wrote:
    551 Thru 553 Copy FIXTURE 561 Thru 563 Enter

OMG!:aargh4:

That is the exact same line of text for fixture numbers I used on a post a few weeks ago!

You're not stealing my lines are you
    :chairshot:

:rippedhand:

Damn! I guess I need to copywrite my posts!

:deal:

Oh incidentally, this was also a bug where 552 would not clone to 562. Also, in this specific line you wrote, there is no need for fixture to be pressed.

To get the results you want, touch the group buttom coresponding to the fixtures in the active editor you want to clone, then Copy, Fixture, and then the destination group you wish to add to the programmer.

I.E. "All Layer 5" Copy Fixture "All Layer 6"

This pretty much works 90% of the time all the time, haha.
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited June 2007
    Er yes it is the same line and i said as much in the post.......
    :dunno:

And by the looks of it world war 4 has just broken out....

Cj
    edited June 2007
    cormacjack wrote:
    And by the looks of it world war 4 has just broken out....

Oh Cj, I still love ya :cool:
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited June 2007
    quinn wrote:
    jase you're famous! one of my designers just came back from classes in new york (broadway master?? naw couldn't be...?) and totally remembered your name cuz they couldn't stop sayin it! go you yo.

Jason....FAMOUS....wow. I would have never known. To think I remember someone curling up on Main Street, pixies....well...nevermind.
    :tapedshut: :tapedshut: :tapedshut: :tapedshut: :tapedshut:
    edited June 2007
    WOW! Are we surrounded by celebrities?
    COOL!:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
  • jabadgerjabadger Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Quinn, I gotcha. Doing a straight 1 for 1 clone works but doing a reverse order does not.

Jon, puking too, don't forget the puking.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited June 2007
    jabadger wrote:
    Quinn, I gotcha. Doing a straight 1 for 1 clone works but doing a reverse order does not.

Jon, puking too, don't forget the puking.

Oh trust me...we never forgot that! I just stopped before I typed it.