Fixtures jump to tilt endstops in programmer

rosswillrosswill Registered User, Hog Beta
edited June 2007 in v2.1.0
I can't reliably reproduce the issue but sometimes when I go to adjust a group of fixtures they jump to maximum tilt as if I had held down the + key and touched the wheel. I have only seen this with pan and tilt but it could be happening with other attributes also.

Regards,
Ross

Comments

• cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited May 2007
    Hi Ross,
    i think if you have a search in the forums you will find other threads mentioning the same issue releating to software ver b1618,has happened to me within f/x editior a bit.

Regards C
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    This issue crops up usually after using a modifier with an encoder (Backspace, Slash, Minus, or Plus)
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Ross,

This issue is logged as bug #10590 and we're working on a fix that we hope to include in our next software release.

Sometimes when encoders are moved, the amount of change is so small that it wouldn't cause a change in the real world value that we use for control. Because of this, our encoder moves are accumulated and applied so that even if you move an encoder value very slowly, it will still cause parameters to change.

This problem is happening because we're accumulating encoder movements even when modifiers (backspace, plus, minus, slash, etc.) are being held and these accumulated movements get applied the next time that you move the encoder. This should only be happening immediately after using modifier keys. The best workaround is to use the smallest encoder movements possible when working with modifiers to knockout, invert, equalise, etc.
  • rosswillrosswill Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    Hi Tom,

I see this even without using modifiers. Applies to tilt mainly but then again perhaps my habit is to move tilt before pan when adjusting a focus. Typically I select a group or fixture adjust the tilt and it jumps to the end of travel.

Regards,

Ross
    edited May 2007
    Ross,

That's very interesting. Every instance where we've seen this happen has been due to using modifiers with the encoders. I'll certainly see if we can get this to happen in any other ways here in the lab. I'll also check with our developers. Since they've found why the problem is happening with the modifiers they may be able to tell me other cases where this can happen.

If anyone else has seen any other variants of this defect, please let us know. We want to make sure we handle every possible case when we get this fixed.

Thanks.
  • SourceChildSourceChild Registered User
    edited May 2007
    Tom,
    I noticed a few instances of this over the last week. When I identify it, I will report but it looks as if even touching the encoders when they are dormant causes acumulation. I remember one other instance that I will report as soon as I see it again.
    edited May 2007
    Todd,

I haven't found any cases where encoder deltas are accumulated when there isn't anything on the encoders toolbar. If you have a repro where this is the case, it would be great if you could let us know how you're getting it to happen.

Thanks.
  • Akito.HAkito.H Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    Tom,
    I am confronted with this problem, too.
    After pushing clear, I am confronted with this problem well.
    However, the method of reproducing this problem has not been discovered yet.

Akito
  • Jan OpsethJan Opseth Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    Yup we are also seeing this, sometimes its happend quite often, this also happends without using the modifiers.

Cant seam to find anything that reproes it...
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    Let's see if maybe this is how you are running into it without using modifiers...

Another repro situation:
    1) Select a fixture
    2) Apply a sine effect to intensity
    3) Using the encoders change effect size to 100%
    4) Press the POSITION key on the front panel
    5) Turn encoder wheel for PAN and watch the pan value jump

Notes:
    The same thing happens when using encoder wheels to adjusting TIMING.

-Chris Muenchow
    edited May 2007
    chris,
    I can verify this in the begining of next week after the rigg is up here.
    c_muenchow said:
    Let's see if maybe this is how you are running into it without using modifiers...

Another repro situation:
    1) Select a fixture

Notes:

-Chris Muenchow
  • davidfitwedavidfitwe Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    I have seen this a lot with my Mac 550's with the pan and tilt. I seem to recal it happing more with the pan then the tilt. Never with any modifiers. You just move the encoder a little and the light goes flying to an extream. I just thought it was the lights, but after reading everyones post I believe it is the console now. Very annoying when you want to move a light a little to update a cue and the light goes way farther then you wanted, hit clear. start over.

Add this to one of the bugs I can't wait to be fixed.
    edited May 2007
    David,

Rest assured that this is an issue we've already tracked down and are working on a fix for. We hope to include this fix in an upcoming release.

Thanks.
    edited May 2007
    Maybe this should be a "hotfix" if you have tracked it down, beacuse as David states, its VERY anoying when u just are going to update some stuff with minor changes, then the LD is wondering if you are completely drunk :)
  • Akito.HAkito.H Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    This problem occurs when Hog uses with Wysiwyg(R19).

Thanks,
    Akito
  • HillbillyHillbilly Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    This issue is extremely annoying...especially when it happens during a show! Several times I've tried to nudge a focus only to have fixtures wildly pan or tilt into the crowd. I agree with the hot fix suggestion on this. Once it gets nailed down, let's get it out to the public.
    edited May 2007
    Once we've implemented a fix for this issue, we will assess the risk and testing needs for the fix. Based on where we are in our release cycle, we will decide what the best way to move forward is.

It's possible that testing and releasing a patch would take as much time as including the fix in our next release. We'll find the safest way to get this fixed for everyone as soon as possible.

Thanks.
    edited May 2007
    Chris,

I can verify this, it happends only after being used in an effect.

jan o

Ps.

I think we currently running the worlds most northern hog3 system on this job:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=69.675833,18.919444&spn=0.3,0.3&q=69.675833,18.919444
    c_muenchow said:

Another repro situation:
    1) Select a fixture

Notes:

-Chris Muenchow
  • MtomaselliMtomaselli Registered User
    edited May 2007
    I have experienced this problem many times. It is so random and ridiculous that I have had to jump back a few builds. If I select fixtures and start to adjust pan, tilt or color the encoder values on the HOG and the fixtures will jump to the extreme endstops. If you hit clear or undo and try again everything is fine until it happens again. I reported this problem a few weeks after (1618) was released to Mitch. This seems to be a major bug and should be pulled off the site until you find a fix. Nothing is more frustrating to be in a "LIVE" show..grab some fixtures and have this happens.....makes you look like an idiot.
    edited May 2007
    Mike,

When this problem was first reported, we did a bunch of testing and determined what was causing the problem. We've been very open with users here about how they can avoid this issue and we're currently working on a fix for the problem. There are plenty of users who have not been affected by this problem, but who are enjoying all of the improvements and bug fixes in version 2.1, so it wouldn't make much sense to pull it off of our web site.

Thanks.
  • MtomaselliMtomaselli Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Tom -
    When do expect to release the next build with the fix for this? Currently I am running 1.3.9 (1053) and have started programing one of the largest events I do every year. The "views" refresh in v2.1.0 is something I do not have in 1.3.9 (and need) but I am not comfortable running 2.1.0 (1618) because of the encoder bug. FYI...when I first used (1618) it was when I upgraded from 1.3.9 (1053). I never used any of the other 2.0 versions. When I experienced the encoder bug I went right back to (1053). Any suggestions? Should I run 2.0.2 (1216)??
    edited June 2007
    Mike,

You should use whatever software version that you're most comfortable with. If you're specifically looking to avoid this problem (bug #10590), here's where you won't see it:

It does not happen with console software v2.0.2 b1216 or earlier.
    It does not happen with Hog 3PC v2.0.0 b1201 or earlier.

I hope this helps.