(Build 1618) Bug report : No, Pig + Open + Backspace

DannyDanny Registered User, Hog Beta
edited May 2007 in v2.1.0
Name: Danny den Bekker
Date: 9th of may 2007
Software Version and build number: V2.1.0 Release (Build 1618)
Number of displays: no external display's
Connected USB Devices: 1 dp2000

During programming yesterday I changed the hue and saturation values for a few of my RGB led fixtures and updated the que they were in. After that the console froze. I tried pig+open+backspace to see if maybe the editor or something else had crashed. But it didn't respond. Waited for a minute or 5, tried it again, still not responding.

I did have output on my dp2000 but only from the master where my houselights are at, the trackball and the touchscreens of the console also responded as normal but I couldn't select anything

After disconnecting the power and restarting the console I tried to reproduce the "bug" but didn't manage to recreate it

Comments

• cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    Hey Danny,

My guess is that you suffered from a crashed launcher process. In this case Pig,Open,Backspace will not function. Was this an auto-update or did you update a cue you had open in a cue editor?
  • DannyDanny Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    Hi Chris, I had the que I edited openend in a cue editor.

Didn't have any problems today, while edditing my rgb led que's. But can you give me an indication what caused the launcher process to crash or is that to complicated
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    Its kind of hard to say. Obviously since this doesn't easily reproduce it was most likely due to a build up of operations or having the console in a certain state when it crashed. We'll keep an eye out for this...especially when updating HS values.

-Chris Muenchow
  • DannyDanny Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    Thanks Chris,

I was really curious because this was a thing that never happend to me before.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    I just saw this on a console for the first time today....

- Select a LARGE number of fixtures (preferably of different types)
    - Open HSI Picker
    - Drag finger around, picka few points, drag again for fine tuning, etc.
    - Eventually the console "appears" to lock up (no response to user input), but if you give it enough time it seems to come back as if nothing happened....sometimes as much as 5-10 mintues....almost like a catatonia.
    - Not always reproducable, but nearly so.
  • ahelgorahelgor Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    hmmm.. I've seen the colourpicker make the Hog go down on it's knees for a long time now..(last build).. It doesn't mather that much how many fixtures i select though.. more fixtures= longer time... it's a real pain to wait for the desk..I would guess that this is very related to the remake of the view/windows that came in 2.1..
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Are you seeing a bigger delay with the colour picker than you saw with previous software versions? I've been looking at this side-by-side with v2.1 and v2.0.2 and I'm not seeing much of a difference.

Thanks.
  • ahelgorahelgor Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    me or marty?? .. well, i do atleast.. the difference is HUGE..this could of course be related to the general decrease of speed over time that people are seeing with this release also.. another caouse that has crossed my mind more often lately is that my showfile has a thing or two to do with it..

(I work several days a week with one particular showfile on one H3, and it's here i see most problems..actually my colleagues are seeing more problems than I am, and we are all feeling it relates to the colourpicker somehow.. I have a hogpc rigg, that i use for most other things outside that house, and I usually don't have that much problems with the Hpc rigg.. so lately i've been starting to think it might have something to do with the showfile or one particular fixture library, and that is the RGB+colour that I got steve to make for me..A little in to the programming session i have to wait for the desk to finish after i've "found" the right colour with the picker, before i continue to punsh buttons..-if i don't wait, i can easily bring the programmer down..as mentioned in another thread.. sometimes its a secon or to, sometimes it's more like 10-20 seconds..)
    -I've never seen this before 2.1)

-If you wan't my showfile i can upload it to you..

-Another thing about this H3 in question.. I saw another post here lately that said you had to wait for the ups to go out.. how long are the ups supposed to keep it alive??
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Anders,

I was actually asking both of you, since your reports are similar.

I'll definitely dig into this a bit more and see if I can gather any hard evidence about performance differences. I'm still looking at the reports of "general slow-downs" that have been discussed in other threads, but at this point there have been very few similarities between the reports and the problems have been very difficult to reproduce here in our test lab. This is one of our highest priority issues, but with a symptom as general as "my console slows down" it's very easy for users to say they've had the problem even though they could be having completely different problems.

I doubt that the problems you're seeing are specific to a certain library, but our RGB libraries operate in 3 separate colour spaces, so there's a bit more processing that happens with them when you're working in the colour picker.

I'd be glad to take a look at your show file if you think it would help me to reproduce the issue that you're seeing.

Most of the consoles I work with (including the one I own) are at least a few years old, so I'm not entirely sure how long the UPS batteries last when new. I don't have the power specs in front of me, but that would be the best way to compute the answer. When the Wholehog 3 UPS engages, the first thing it does is try to gracefully shut down the console to ensure that there isn't any show file corruption. If I get my console into a state where it isn't able to shut down and then pull the plug, it stays on for about 5 minutes.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    teerickson said:
    Are you seeing a bigger delay with the colour picker than you saw with previous software versions?

I've never really had a problem personally while programming, probably because I only use HSI as a reference to CMY values and don;t really move around the disc a whole lot.

However, I have seen this happen 3 times to a fellow programmer in the last 2 days.

Config:
    (1) H3 Console - v2.1.0 b1618
    (3) DP-2000
    (2) Mini-playback wing
    (2) ELO 19" external touchscreens at max res.