(1618) Bug Report: Copy Between Fixtures Doesn't Copy All

SourceChildSourceChild Registered User
edited May 2007 in v2.1.0
Name: Todd Scrutchfield
Date: 05/09/07
Software Version and build number: v2.1.0 (1618)
Number of displays: Two 19" Elotouch external @ 1024x768
Connected USB Devices: Two 19" Elotouch (PS2 Keyboard and Mouse)
Networked Devices: DP2000 (10/100 Switch)
Detailed description of the problem including instructions to reproduce (if possible) and exact syntax used:

Copy does not work correctly.
From the command Line. 551 thru 553 copy 561 thru 563
Result is that nothing appears for fixture 562 in the editor or programmer.
I then type 552 copy 562 to complete.

A variation I try is 551+552 copy 561+562
And still nothing shows up in 562

I try 551+553 copy 561+563 and it works.

This error seems to only work on layer 562, 552, 542, 532, and 522.

In my convention is 5xx for catalyst fixtures.
x1x is layer 1, x2x is layer 2, etc.
xx1 is left, xx2 is center, and xx3 is right.
Basically what I am saying is that when I copy, all parameters for the center screen are not copied.

Incidentally, I can however copy from a left into a right or a right into a left across layers but I cannot copy groups of fixtures into the center screen layers.

List any errors reported by the software:

None

No crashes, no lockups, no errors seen. Just a bug.

I will be uploading the show file later tonight to Tom.

Comments

• SourceChildSourceChild Registered User
    edited May 2007
    File is Uploaded
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    Hey Todd, I thought you never used cloning :poke: :poke: ;)

http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=3727

This may be a stupid question, but you do have all the paramters you want cloned over active inthe programmer correct?

I usually Touch a layer before I clone it.
  • jabadgerjabadger Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2007
    When you are cloning/copying fixtures try using this syntax as I have had this particular problem before (usually when trying to clone effects) and have used this syntax to solve the problem;

551 Thru 553 Copy FIXTURE 561 Thru 563 Enter

Push the Fixture button when specifying the target range (incidentally, this is the same thing you do when you want to clone one group to another).
    edited May 2007
    Marty Postma said:

Hey Todd, I thought you never used cloning

:angryfire: Hey Marty...
    :hitwithrock:

I usually don't clone. Never really have to. BUT

Since I just upgraded a show from 10 to 12 layers per catalyst, I had a few extra layers I had to add (which basically means cloning in a zillion palettes :aiwebs_010: )

I don't touch though, I use suck but in this case I don't need to because I'm opening a palette in the editor so all values I want to clone are active in the editor already.

Very rarely to I ever touch just because I'm one of those crazy people obsessed with the tracking concept. If it's a large palette with tons of data though, I might be inclined to touch and then knockout.

Why do you ask?
    edited May 2007
    jabadger said:

incidentally, this is the same thing you do when you want to clone one group to another

WHOLLY FLYING PIGS!!!
    :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Jason!!! You taught me something new!!!

Press Fixture
    Touch the source fixture group
    Press Copy
    Press Fixture
    Touch the destination fixture group

The syntax never quite made sense and then I try it!
    WOW! I guess I'll have to remember I can use more than a command line to select fixtures!

Hey Marty, is this why you're giving me such a hard time about cloning?
    edited May 2007
    Yea...that was exactly my point in the other thread regarding Fixture...:twak:

http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=3727

....scroll down to about post 16 or 17...:rolleyes:

I try to track as much as possible myself, but sometimes it is just safer to use Touch so that if something else gets edited prior to that (like adding an extra effect) it doesn't mess things up later on down the line....just my personal preference though.

My point on that though was if you have a cue up and try to clone with nothing in the programmer, or certain parameters not in the prgrammer, then nothing is going to happen. As you know, you have to bring the Source fixtures into the programmer in order to clone.

I feel you on the cloning a zillion times though....so here's one for the developers...

Can we get an enhancement for Replicate Fixtures in patch to only apply to palettes...not palettes, cues, everything, etc.

Or maybe a choice of where to replicate...like Palettes, Groups, Cues, Scenes. Allowing to pick any or all. This could save a whole lot of time in cases like this.

Of course, if you had made all your palettes Per Type in the first place, you'd have a whole lot less work.;)
    edited May 2007
    Marty Postma said:

Of course, if you had made all your palettes Per Type in the first place, you'd have a whole lot less work.;)

:nono:

I don't want to piss off those boys over in collage heavan but it doesn't quite work the way they think. I like pixel matching my output without creating massive single piece content. My custom content is created and then cut into pieces for the apropriate screen. This means that if I build a palette called "Amber Twist," it's not just going to have a folder and file value that are global (per type), instead I will have a per fixture palette that I can't avoid.

The thing is that I have one show built which is constantly changing so I constantly have to change my palette content which means that even if I have a global palette, when I update it, its not globa anymore.
  • Zach PeletzZach Peletz Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Todd,
    I see what you are saying however there is a way that you can still achieve a global palette if you need to make changes. If you just have a palette with folder and file information then instead of using update, simply adjust your folder and file parameters and then Record Replace the palette. This allows you to keep its global state.
    edited May 2007
    Zach Peletz said:
    Todd,
    ...there is a way that you can still achieve a global palette if you need to make changes....

Zach,
    You are right but you're missing my point. Replace is fine and I use it. For example, when I take my HSI color palette for a color I call light blue and I change the blue to match set pieces, I will replace so that all the lighting fixtures and media servers can reference that color.

(Actually this is a lie because in many cases, the fixtures and types I am using do not produce the exact same colors so I will manually adjust a color until all light (or layers) are in sync. All you TV guys out there who have ever color balanced a TV monitor of video projector know what I'm talking about.)

No Zach, you are right in that any parameter that will be referenced exactly the same across fixtures or types can become global again when replaced. However, palettes for file references are for different files to be played on the left, center, and right screens. Since the parameters are different for each layer, the palette is generally always per fixture, and not per type, or global.
    edited May 2007
    SourceChild said:
    My custom content is created and then cut into pieces for the apropriate screen. This means that if I build a palette called "Amber Twist," it's not just going to have a folder and file value that are global (per type), instead I will have a per fixture palette that I can't avoid.

The thing is that I have one show built which is constantly changing so I constantly have to change my palette content which means that even if I have a global palette, when I update it, its not globa anymore.

Hey Todd,

I understand you dilemma entirely. Changing how an existing show is programmed in this manner is no small task to be sure.

Having said that, I would personally take a different approach to palette building for such a look.

I would make 3 different palettes for "Amber Twist". One for Left, a second for Center, and a third for Right. If recorded as either Per Type or Global then any given layer could be used anywhere, and updating files and/or adding layers in to the show become much easier.

Since no one responded to my earlier request here for the Replicate Fixtures enhancement, I'm going to post it in a new thread under H3 Requests & Enhancements.:)
    edited May 2007
    Marty
    Thanks. I agree with you. BUT....
    I started following your suggestion at one point when I started developing a content convention. I've honestly spent a few hundred hours just trying to figure out "how to build palettes" just to save on the volume of programming. Then I have to configure things so that a trained monkey can figure it out. I even wrote a manual to step people though procedures. It's nuts!

Just an indication of the magnitude of this show for Catalyst content:

I have close to 6000 content files (2000 each Left, CTR, and Right)
    • 40 folders with about150 files in each of content
    • Over 50 songs with up to as many as 8 files each
    • 73 weeks with special elements (up to 10 files of special elements per week)
    • 73 weeks with four themed looks per week
    • 17 Months with 6 themed looks per month
    I would imagine that if I were to compile all of my Hog shows together, I'd probably have close to a 350 Mb compressed show file. Then Tom and Scott would really kick my butt when I upload to HES.
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Todd,

To get back to your original post, there is a small bug that users may occasionally see when cloning that can cause some fixtures to not be properly cloned. It is most commonly seen when working with multiple fixture types and when the order of our internal fixture IDs differs from the selection order. This is currently logged as defect #10311 and I would assume that this is what you are seeing.
    edited May 2007
    teerickson said:

This is currently logged as defect #10311 and I would assume that this is what you are seeing.

Thanks Tom, Yes