(1.3.2.1268) Bug Report: Blue Screen of Death

FxDrewFxDrew Registered User
edited August 2007 in Axon
Name: Drew Atienza

Date: 24 April 2007

Software Version and build number: 1.3.2.1268 (Firmware 1.3.0.22)

Networked Devices: None

Conencted Devices: (2) LCD Monitors using DVI to VGA Adapters. Mouse and Keyboard plugged in using PS2 connections.

Steps Used: I left the Server playing Library "On The Wall" file 2 (the bouncing ball) in Loop Forward mode for about 2 hours doing this while I was working on other projects and came to the error screen at the link below.

List any errors reported by the software:

http://www.fxproductionservices.com/forum/axoncrash.jpg

Comments

• schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2007
    Drew,

You won the lottery! Ok..not really :rolleyes:

Is this the first time you've seen that error on that particular server?

Thanks for the report! The screen shot is very much appreciated. We'll look into it and let you know what we find ASAP.
  • FxDrewFxDrew Registered User
    edited April 2007
    That's the first time I've seen it happen... Ever.... I rebooted it and it seems to be working... I'll leave it on again and see if it happens.

I thought you would appreciate the screenshot.

Thanks for looking into it.
    edited April 2007
    Sure enough, 2 hours later and I get this:

http://www.fxproductionservices.com/forum/axoncrash2.jpg
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2007
    Andrew,

Taking a quick look at your screen shots, it looks like these are completely unrelated errors.

The first appears to have been caused by usbport.sys, which is the Microsoft USB port driver that handles USB v1.1 and v2.0 communications.

The second appears to have been caused by ati2cqag.dll, which is the central memory manager and queue server module for the ATI graphics card.

On the other hand, it's somewhat concerning that you're seeing two BSODs in one day. This could be a sign of a hardware problem, or might be a good indication that it's time to do a full reinstall of your server.

We'll have to see if the developers can provide any insight into the exact error message details.
    edited April 2007
    Andrew,

After talking with one of our developers here and doing a little research, this could very well be pointing to a hardware problem, more specifically something wrong with your video card. After digging back through some old screen shots of my own errors here, I started seeing some very similar messages right before I had a card die.

Sometimes problems like these can point to a corrupt OS, but that is highly unlikely in this case due to the drive protection software we use on the Axon servers. You could try doing a partial restore on the server, but I don't think it will help much.

Do you have another Axon you can do a little swapping with? If the problem server keeps consistantly blue-screening, you could try swapping the video card with another unit and see if the problem follows the card.
    edited April 2007
    Matt-

I've got 4 Axons here at the shop, so I'll try swapping out the video card. If this is a bad video card, it would be the 2nd one I've had to replace on our stock of Axons. I'll let you know how it goes later on in the day.
    edited April 2007
    Ok, swapped the video output cards and fired the same cue. About 3 hours later, the screens go black. I still have the cursor that I can move around. Anything I can do to see a dump log? I've still got it up in the showroom. Call me or e-mail. Thanks!
    edited April 2007
    Andrew,

So was this the problem server with a new card? Did you try the suspect card in another server? Just curious if the problem is following the card.

Unfortunately, there's no way as of yet to grab the dump file. Was this the same cue you were running yesterday? With just the one movie playing, no images changes or anything?
    edited April 2007
    Today's error was on the same server, but with a new video card.
    Yes, the same cue, just one movie file playing, no other changes.
    I will try the original Video card on another axon and let you know how that goes.
    edited April 2007
    Ok... The problem DID NOT follow the video output card. I let it run for 4 hours and no errors of any kind. Should I do a restore on the faulty server? Let me know...
    edited April 2007
    Andrew,

It's definately worth a try, especially since it won't hurt anything. Just make sure you have the latest version of the image and re-upgrade your server back to the latest software release.

Thanks for your patience and keep me updated.
    edited August 2007
    Matt-

I just got around to doing an image recovery. Here is the result on startup:

http://www.fxproductionservices.com/forum/bsod23aug07.JPG

Any ideas?
  • SBlairSBlair Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Andrew,

It sounds like you've got some bad hardware, it's pretty tough to identify exactly what component though without completely going through it.

How old is the unit? If it is still under warranty then it would be best for us to just get it back here to take care of it for you.

Scott