Studio Spot 575 Brightness/Color Temp issue

SchulzSchulz Registered User
edited April 2007 in HES Automated Lighting
Hello all,

I just got a pair of SS 575 's and the lamps were shot, so I went down to the local light place and they had only one Philips MSR 575/2. So I replaced the lamp on one of the 575's and got the light going. I was immediately not very impressed by the output and color temp. To verify this I compared it with a SS 250 and shining from 5 feet away on a white wall the 250 seemed blindingly bright compared with the 575, as well as having a much whiter color temp. I wish I had another 575/2 lamp to A/B it with but I'll have to wait awhile because I need to order it.

Could this be a case of a bad lamp or could there be more going on here? The optics on these 575's look clean, and I think it would have to be extremely dirty to make it look like this. Also, these came with the wide 30 degree lens. I doubt this would make such an output difference, would it?

Thanks,

*looking forward to being blinded by 9000 lumen's* :headbang:

David

Comments

• ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited April 2007
    I'll go out on a limb and ask you if you optimized the lamp?

I know for myself I have been surprised how much light I can loose by having the lamp be even slightly off wrt the reflector.

Cat
  • PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited April 2007
    ChrisTall wrote:
    I'll go out on a limb and ask you if you optimized the lamp?

I know for myself I have been surprised how much light I can loose by having the lamp be even slightly off wrt the reflector.

Cat

DITTO!:D
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Actually the wide lens will make a Huge difference in percieved brightness.
    As shown by these data sheets,

http://www.highend.com/pdfs/products/studiospot250/Ss250tech.PDF
    and
    http://www.highend.com/pub/products/automated_luminaires/Studio575/SS575tech.pdf

The Studio Spot 250 with a standard lens, actually is a bit brighter than the 575 version with a 30 degree lens.

Also, the 250 has a slightly higher color temperature, thus making it appear a bit brighter as well.

Hope that helps,
    Joshua Wood
  • SchulzSchulz Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Ok, that makes sense. With the wide lens and slightly lower color temp it's going to make a big difference. I did do a rough lamp adjustment, but it looks like I need to spend some more time with it.

One more thing I noticed is that on one of the 575's the lens is adjusted differently. I'm not sure of the correct terms, but you know how the lenses have a bottom and top half? Well, one of them is completely together and the other has a 1/8 gap between them. Also another strange thing is that the one that has no gap had an extremely small screw rattling around in it. So I pried it open just a touch and got it out. I can't tell which of the three holes is missing the screw though, besides I don't have a screw driver small enough anyway.

I have to tell you that in the last 4 weeks I went from one burned out Tbeam to now 6 HES fixtures and each one has a funny problem of some sort, I'm just a little hesitant to flood the forums with questions...:15:

Thanks again, you guys are great!

David.
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited April 2007
    David,

Ask away. The more you ask the more you learn, and the more we learn.

Besides, by the time your done you may be the expert on tearing down a 575 and rebuilding it! And then we'll be asking you what to do.
  • PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited April 2007
    I totally missed the wide angle factor... duh...more coffee.:footinmouth: :dunce: