Setting IP Address

Is there anyway to set a DL.2 to a specific IP address on board or via the CMA?

Travis Slyter
Ruehling Associates
  • You can using a cheap router.

We intentionally did not include static IP settings in the fixture itself to help eliminate the confusion that tends to cause for people.

The idea is that you can hang the fixture right out of the roadcase and never have to think about any type of configuration in advance before flying it.

Scott
  • Understood, but we have a client that is putting the unit on an existing house network and has specified secure IPs that will isolate the DL.2s from the rest of the network so that only the comptures in auditorium will be able to access the fixtures. Apparently the distances and location involved prohibit running a temp Ethernet line.

So he needs to assign the DL.2s to those specific addresses. Kind a unique situation, but not totally out of ordinary.

:cool:
  • Okay,

So I'm gonna put my IT guy hat on for a minute since I deal with some of these type things too.

If he is hooking into an existing network infrastructure, then the IT guys there can either assign everything plugged into specific ports get DHCP addresses in the range they specify. They could also filter MAC addresses to assign static DHCP addresses from the range they want to anything matching the MAC prefix of the DL.2 fixtures.

Another (better in my opinion) option is to put all the DL.2 fixtures on a cheap router to hand out IP Addresses and then instead of running a temp line or hooking into their network, just have them re-patch 2 of the jacks together directly in the wiring closet. I actually do that in several places around HES to avoid going through the corporate network to be able to connect my office with the Test Lab DL.2 fixtures.

Scott