Cyberlight Power

klab232002klab232002 Registered User
edited January 2010 in HES Automated Lighting
Hey Everybody,
I recently gotten a few used cyberlights, I've used cybers before, but i've never been responsible for actually connecting power. So..

being a novice (but one who catches on quickly) i want to make sure i power my cybers correctly to test them, and eventually use them.

I was reading the manual, i see i can choose what power i want to use by moving the voltage wire within the fixture, my question is, the manual states i can use 208v (which i assume means i need 3phase), or i can use 230v.

In this venue i only have access to single (split) phase, so 240v. Is that the same as 230v? if i power the cybers with single phase 240v will i be safe, as long as i have the power connected correctly in the fixture..

Thanks much!

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Are you in the US? If so the 230v -60Hz setting should be the proper one for you.

MAKE SURE you meter the power properly before you hook up the fixture and that you have the correct type of plugs and they are wired correctly. If you are really shaky on this it is probably worthwhile to consult an electrician.

Don't accidentally hook up to the 230v-50Hz setting or the 240v-50Hz setting either.
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited March 2007
    btw, it takes single phase. Green=ground, blue and brown are the power.
  • JDIPRODUCTIONSJDIPRODUCTIONS Registered User
    edited March 2007
    The company i work for owns 20 cybers and the only way to get them to strike there lamps properly and act (normal) is with a 208v pd they are 3 phase lights so i would be careful power supplies are expensive and i am sure those lights are not spring chickens they are esentially single phase but they do need to see 2 seperate legs of power i do not think you can get that without a 3 phase distro
  • ryanwilkinsonryanwilkinson Registered User
    edited March 2007
    they are not 3 phase. 208v runs between two hots on a 3 phase service. If They are correctly set to 240v, they will strike at 240 which is single phase. (2 hots and a ground). That is why they allow for this setting. To my knowledge, they will not strike at 120v as they are not made for this. That is a hot and a neutral.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2007
    To be clear there is NO 240v-60Hz setting only 230v-60Hz on Cyberlights

Not to be confused with the 240v-50Hz which is not for use in the USA.;)
  • TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Ok things are starting to get confusing. What cybers want as far as power wise is two lines (legs) of 120. They can power up off of only one leg but it cannot strike the lamp that way. Now all of our cybers are tapped for 230. Even though they occasionally get 208. In three phase weither its delta or wie you will have three legs of 120 or two legs of 120 and a leg of 208. BE SURE THAT SOME GOOBER ELECTRICIAN DOES NOT SEND A SINGLE LEG OF 208 TO THE LIGHT I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN. Now if you have three legs of 120 than leg to leg you will see 208 V. b/c of the phaseing shown by this little math formula 1.73 x 120 = 208. Now in Y if you come off of the two 120 legs (ignoring the middle "wild leg" of 208) you will get 240.

OK electrical class done for now. Now as far as wiring up your cyber lights..

You do not need 3 phase power. I connect them at my house all the time. Most houses do not have three phase (there are some that do). At a house or at a club that has single phase you have two hot legs of 120 along with a neutral and a ground.

So the brown wire on the cyber light goes to L1 (line one or leg one (hot))
    The blue wire goes to L2 (line two or leg two (second hot))
    The greeen goes to ground.
    You do not have a neutral.
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2007
    Well said Tim.
    I couldn't have said it any better myself.

This discussion could get far more convoluded and we could start talking about windings and taps, but Tim hit all of the important points. It's a bit of a tough topic, so feel free to ask for clarification, klab.

Thanks.
    edited April 2007
    Also another thing is if you really want to read up on electricity and proper wiring procedures the UGLY's Book is a great reference source. They sell them at home depot and most electrical stores for around 10 bucks. I use mine all the time.
  • PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited April 2007
    TimMiller wrote:
    Also another thing is if you really want to read up on electricity and proper wiring procedures the UGLY's Book is a great reference source. They sell them at home depot and most electrical stores for around 10 bucks. I use mine all the time.

Ditto! +1
    That a copy of the LD Calculator. http://www.paul-pelletier.com/LDCalculator/LDCalculatorPage.htm
    A must have for the laptop!:headbang: Paul Pelletier writes some cool stuff and works for Martin Canada. The man know what he's talkin bout!
  • klab232002klab232002 Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Wow! I didn't think this would start a long thread, I did check the power setting on the power board for the ballast, changed it to 230v 60hz (which happens to be the same tap for 240v 50hz... strange) they fired just fine, and ran their self test.

Most of the places i'll end up using them will have three phase power, so i'll just have to switch them back to 208v when i use them there.

Here's another question, the manual says i should be able to see the lamp hours when all of the info switches are off, when i set them all off, the info led just does one long flash. all of the other info features ie. lamp strikes, give me responses. Is there some other way to find lamp hours, or am i missing something, or maybe the counter was never reset?

thank you all for your responses!!
    edited April 2007
    We just leave ours tapped at 230. (208 tap has burned on some of the boards). We dont have any problem running them at 208V even though they are tapped at 230V.
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe a fixture tapped at 230 but plugged into 208 will be a bit dimmer,
    but I have not done a shootout, but I believe I have heard that..
    Joshua Wood
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited April 2007
    A little clarification on three phase power: Three phase 120/240 Delta has the high leg, not Wye. In a 120/208 Wye (or just 'Y') system, all line to neutral (or ground) voltages will be 120, and phase to phase will be 208.
    A 120/240 Delta system will give you 2 legs of 120, and the third 208, all when tied to ground. Line to Line in a Delta system will be 240v no matter which phase to phase combination you use.
    It will not make a difference what two legs you connect a 240v fixture (like the cyberlight) in a delta system. It will make a big difference with 120v circuits. You can only use the (typically) blue and black legs to ground or neutral to get 120v. The third red high leg can only used for 240v phase-phase circuits (cyberlights) or 3 phase gear (usually motors). You wouldn't normally wire the high leg to ground as a circuit to get 208, as all single phase 240v circuits are wired phase, phase, ground. 120v circuits are phase, neutral, ground.

TimMiller wrote:
    In three phase weither its delta or wie you will have three legs of 120 or two legs of 120 and a leg of 208. BE SURE THAT SOME GOOBER ELECTRICIAN DOES NOT SEND A SINGLE LEG OF 208 TO THE LIGHT I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN. Now if you have three legs of 120 than leg to leg you will see 208 V. b/c of the phaseing shown by this little math formula 1.73 x 120 = 208. Now in Y if you come off of the two 120 legs (ignoring the middle "wild leg" of 208) you will get 240.
    You do not have a neutral.
  • MmaloneMmalone Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Please correct me if i'm reading this wrong, Cyberlights if tapped for 230v/60hz will work correctly on a single phase service using 2 hots and ground. Not new to electrical but new to cyberlights and don't want to burn the power supply up. Sorry for bringing up an old topic.

Mark
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Correct. Normal power, whether two legs of a three phase, or both legs of a 120/240 are the same - two hots and a ground.

- Tim