Roadhog

www.highend.com/news_events/news/news_detail.asp?news_id=390

Hi tom/Brad/Mitch,
Any chance of a post about the new console and what it can and can't do?

Regards Cormac
  • Looks like a replacement level console for the now outdated HOG 1000/500 line.

I don't see anything about networking it into other H3 systems though or the ability to run networked DPs for expansion, etc.... I would think that it is capable though as it is running H3PC on an XPe platform.
  • Here's what Brad posted on the LN:

Low cost
    No networking, external monitors or on-board SMPTE
    Limited to 4 universes (no expanding with DP's or widgets)
    You can connect USB Wings and USB SMPTE Widget
    Operates only on H3 software...no Hog II.

That's all I know for now.
  • Ok,
    I was thinking much the same as both posts but was trying to work out the high end console hierarchy with Hog III being at the top ,IPC next and perhaps roadhog after or am i missing something..

cormac
  • Yes, it is lower then the iPC. It is also supposedly cheaper then the ipc as well. (half the price is what I heard).

It is about time for a replacement of the old hog 2 line consoles.
  • Everything that's been said here so far is true.

The Road Hog is the least expensive member of the Wholehog family, with a price approximately half that of a Hog iPC. If you need a more accurate quote, you should contact a local dealer, as prices vary by region and even between individual quotes.

The Road Hog has 4 universes of DMX. There are ports for these universes on the console. This cannot be expanded with USB widgets or with DP2000s.

The Road Hog runs Hog 3PC software. It uses the same .msi installer that the Hog iPC and Hog 3PC stand-alone use, but it will have its own system restore image. Show files, of course, are fully compatible between Road Hog and other products running Wholehog control software.

The Road Hog has 2 internal 12" touchscreens. There are not connections for external monitors.

The Road Hog does not support networking to other consoles or peripherals.

The Road Hog supports up to 8 playback mini-wings or 2 full-sized expansion wings.

The Road Hog supports our USB SMPTE timecode widget.

The Road Hog has no internal removable storage (CDRW / ZIP) drives. It ships with a Flying Pig Systems 1GB USB memory stick and will support USB CD / DVD drives for backing up shows.

That covers most of the basics and there is additional information available on the High End Systems web site at www.highend.com.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about this exciting new product.
  • Both the Wholehog 3 and the Hog iPC have MIDI inputs and outputs. The Road Hog does not.
  • the desk looks great, and will fill an empty hole in the range of desks..
    -I wan't one of those usb memory sticks,hehe ;)
  • Hi Tom,

How does the physical size and weight compare to the Hog iPC? Will the roadcase be similar in style to the iPC? I.e. rolling luggage style?

Thanks for the great explanations.

Travis
  • Travis,

I honestly haven't seen the Road Case yet. I think they may still be designing it. I'll look into this and let you know as soon as I have an answer.

It may be a bit late in the process for suggestions, but do you have any specific requests or preferences with regards to what style of case it would be? Do you like the Hog iPC rolling case?

Thanks.
  • Two things I like:
    The faders align with the touch screen! YAY:headbang:
    I hated this on the iPC:aargh4:

And the Big one!!!!!! It's about time I can get a hog 3 console rental for the same price as a hog 2 from those damned companies that have crappy old hog 2 desks.

:notworthy:

I freaking hate hog 2 consoles. That's why I skipped them all together and now hopefully vendors who were too damned stubborn to buy a hog 3 will buy a road hog and I can get a console I actually like.
    It doesn't crash does it:footinmouth:
  • It looks cool. I have to say, though, I'm a little jealous. A little over four years ago, I made a giant step in purchasing a Wholehog III, and I haven't regreted it. Since then, Hog iPC with Flash Drive ability has come around, Hog3PC with Flash Drive ability has come around, and now the Roadhog, with , yes, a Flash Drive. When oh when will the Original Hog3 have this ability?
  • :1zhelp: [quote=barnes2000]
    When oh when will the Original Hog3 have this ability?

I second that Scott. :drive: :rippedhand:

:1zhelp: ...How many CDs do I gotta burn through...:1zhelp:
  • I have come to the conclusion that flash drives are not a stable backup device. Don't get me wrong theyt are better than floppy disks but I have had too many of them fail for seemingly no reason at all. I have taken them fom on laptop whre they were working and put them into a laptop and nnot be able to read them. Most resently I lost a show file I had saved from an IPC. So I now always save to a cd. They are so cheap it is just not worth taking a chance.
  • Hi Tom,

I like the iPC rolling style case. It fits well in car trunks / seats and is shipping-friendly for UPS and Fedex.

I had some suggestions for the iPC but that's a done deal and this case should be easier. I like the accessories case on top. I would make sure that fits a keyboard, mouse, discs and manual as well as rooom for a USB CD-RW. The USB CD-Drive will be huge. First, as many have stated here, thumb drives have some reliability issues. Second, if you are transfering from Hog III you will need a CD-RW as it doesn't support thumb drives so there is a compatibility issue there. Right now no way to get shows from Hog III to Road Hog.

I would assume the desklights will have to be stored in the case. I would put them in some sort of hold to keep them from bouncing around.

It would be nice is there was some way make some movable dividers or straps so that you could strap things down inside the storage bin so your accessories aren't flopping around, particularly the drives. Something like you see with laptop cases with velcro/felt dividers that can be repositioned. Tough to make something movable yet durable though so that may not work.

Unfortunately the weight of the lid with the storage makes is an iPC case a little bulky to take off with one person, but I don't know if there is a way around that.

One thing I would be careful about is to make sure if the console is designed to be left in the case lid that all of the connections on the back are clear from the foam in the case. Sometimes the connectors are low enough that the console actually rests on the connectors rather than the feet. You end up shifting the console out of it's case slightly, then forgetting to reseat it properly. Or you have to prop it up with something or worse you leave it and connectors bend or become loose.

Also I would carfully check to see the fit and padding when the console is stood on the wheels. We've had some issues with our iPCs shifting slightly. The newer models seem to be a litter better.

Wow, that's got long in a hurry. Thanks for asking, good to chat. I think this will be a strong product.

Travis
Related