Request for a special cross-fader

I just did a few shows with lots of different lights (LED-Strips, LED-Spots, LED-Tubes, spots on a dozen mirrorballs, various moving lights, etc) and as it was not clear what would happen during the night I had lots of faders with all the different things on them.

When I know a Band, I pre-pogram everything on a one-list-per-song basis. When I do not know the songs very good, or don't have much time, I do a quick page-per-song setup with a main cuelist with a chorus and a verse cue and a few other faders for downparts, flashes, whatever.

But when I know nothing, I usually make a what I call "festival setup" - lots of faders with instant access on everything.

On the backside, If I want to have a new look for the chorus, I'd have to touch 5 faders and 6 buttons within a half a second - no button to simply switch between the chorus/verse looks.

What about a special crossfader-function:
This Fader would invert the fader-values of all "linked" faders.
very simple example:
I have Faders "red PARs" and "amber front-wash" on 100%,
faders "ACLs", "blue PARs" and "Blinders" on 0%
All Faders a linked to my cross-fader. When I move the crossfader from 0 to 10%, the red pars would be 90% and the blue pars 10%, when I move the crossfader to 100%, I'd have my look with acls, blue pars and blinders, when I pull it down again, I'm back to my red/amber look.

This would be very helpful for busking shows when there is an easy way to change which faders are linked to the crossfader. I.e. hold down choose of the cross-fader and then press all choose buttons of the faders you want to link.

What do you think about this? together with the "+go when off zero"-option on faders it would be a very nice thing...

Jan
  • I think a wonderful way to do this would be a "Goto" Stack.
    In another thread I was writing about enhancing the Goto. I think another enhancement for "Goto" type functions would be the ability to do a command line of multiple Goto commands. For example Syntax:
    List 1/2 + List 4/5 + List 7/19 Enter
    to run cues 2on list 1 5 on list 4 and 19 on list 7 all as a single button Go.

I feel you when it comes to shows with tons of faders. It sucks when I know the songs but there are so many song possibilities that I know I can't just write cues for specifics when I know the song list will change on the fly.
  • kind of like an enhanced crossfader between two presets like on old desks. But with the ability to define the to groups A and B on the fly.

The idea with a multiple goto is also a nice thing, but you wouldn't want to type all that before every chorus/verse? :confused:

After having thought about my idea a little longer, I think it would be nice if this would work with virtual cuelists and scenes, too:
    hold down the crossfaders's choose-button and...
    ... press any fader's choose buttons that you want to "include" in the crossfade
    ... press any other fader's GO-Button in order to have a "go" on that fader as soon as the corssfader leaves 0. A "Release" (or back?) would happen when the fader goes back to zero
    ... press any virtual cuelist or scene. This would behave the same as pressing the GO on a physical fader

This would not violate the "concept" of the desk, it would just behave like a macro and start GOs on faders. As the "real" faders values are overriden by the crossfader, I'd suggest they behave the same as they do when you change pages and have to "pick up" a fader value.

When, in addition to that, there would be a way to save the assignment on the crossfaders or have a few comment macros to to the assignments, you could make an awesome festival setup to busk shows: Have all colors, moves, positions ready as scenes, have some groups on the faders.
    Then set up your first look with the faders and prepare the second one with just a few button presses while holdiung down the crossfaders' choose-button. then pull up the crossfader for the chorus. take it down for the verse. great! :headbang:
Related