main playcontroller buttons..

I know we(and I) have discussed alternate use for the main playcontrollers for the future..so i'm not shure if this wish has been covered..

-I'd like to "lock" the main playback to a list.. theres pobably more ways that this can be imlemented..but heres two ideas atleast..

1. we could "link" the main controllers to one of the 10 playbacks as today, but just disregard the choose keystrokes.. maybe we could link it with holding mainchoose down, and press the choose we like to link permanently to..

2.we could make the main playback a faderless playback and in that way just move a quelist to the main playback as we today do with the playbacks.. This will also give us one more playback..

-it will probably be wise to look at which of the main playback's button that will be "locked" since basically will only want the play and hold button, since i would use this function on my "main" cuelist in a show situation, and i will probabbly want to have the skip ffw/bck release/assert/goto available to the other lists..maybe an option to choose which buttons you use for this new "playback".. and maybe if you need the other buttons temporarily for this new "playback" maybe holding down main choose and press skip ffw, as an example..
  • I like this idea.

I think we also need options to have Lists assigned here change on a page by page basis as well. So we could have the option to have a List locked to the main playback no matter what page the show is on, or to have the List change depending on the Page (kind of like template page lists).

Of course any List assigned/locked to the main playback should be treated as if it's "fader" is full.
  • I can see how this could be very useful, but there are lots of little questions that would need to be ironed out. I'd like to hear more from everyone about how they would like to see this implemented. Here are just a few things to consider:

Does the main playback configuration need to be stored with each page? I think about how most rock shows are set up as page-per-song and the main play controls would be set up to control the main list for each song.

Could it also be useful to have the option to tie the main playback controls to a specific master. For example, the main controls could always control master 10, regardless of what master is chosen.

Would you want to be able to use the main playback controls for other masters if a different master's choose key is being held?

What changes would need to be made for LED feedback? The main choose LED could be on when we are overriding standard behaviour. The play / pause LEDs could function as normal. I don't think we have a good way to provide intensity feedback that is usually handled by the flash key LED.
  • 1- yes and know.. i think it must be a choice.. maybe it can be solved by making this "playback" available in the template page somehow, that would be an easy way to override it from changing with pagechange

2-that was what gave me the initial idea, so yes, that would be nice, but in a perfect world it would be nice to load a list "directly" onto it, and thus freeing up a playback.

3-as i said earlier, i would defenately want to be able to use the skip ffw/bck, assert,release buttons.. i'm not shure if i'd need play and pause though.

4-a lit choose would probably do the trick. as for intensity, i personally would use this for a type of list that never needed to be taken down from full, so owuldn't need information of intensity.. but thats me, others might feel different.
  • When I first read this post, I thought that this would be a really great idea, because I have more than once "chosen" another fader to work on that cuelist in the middle of a tech rehearsal and then would press the main go because I would be so used to that and chaos would erupt on stage from running the wrong cue. So having the main playbacks linked to a particular list would solve that problem; but I'm concerned about not having an intensity fader for that cuelist anymore. I like the idea of locking the main playback to a particular fader so I can choose other faders and work on them. If you temporarily wanted to use the main playback controls for another fader you could hold down choose for that fader and then press whatever button on the main playback controls.
    I realize that this then doesn't allow for a fader to be freed up for other uses. I think that this is a sacrifice that is worth living with. Because if you're going to put your "main" cuselist on the main playback controls, than I don't think that you should loose any functionality on those controls, not the least of which is the ability to control intensity. Hope this makes sense, just my thoughts
    Eric
  • I agree with Anders that I would never want a list used like this to have any intensity other than Full.

My only concern is that we don't have the situation like present where a list that is taken to zero on fader and then deleted from fader is treated as zero if then selected as a virtual list until such time as it is re-assigned to a fader and brought to full.

So it will "force" said list to be at full when assigned to main playback.
  • if lack of intensity control would be a problem for some people, how about putting in a feature like when the GM is faderless today.. you could hold down mainplaybacks choose, and turn I-wheel(or first encoder on IPC/wing).. But then theres the problem with visual feedback of intensity.
    -but personally, i would think of it as a virtual list as Marty said.

-Maybe this could be two seperate features of the desk..

1-assign a list directly to it..-no intensity control, acts as virt.cuelist -you can hold down other choose's to use the buttons for those playbacks temporarily.

2-"link" it to one of the other quelists, basically making it disregard choose buttons.. then you can I-control it with the original fader.-you can still hold down other choose's to use the buttons for those playbacks temporarily.

-thats two functions thats both usefull, but in two different ways..
  • It would have to be the 2nd Encoder wheel for use on the iPC/Wing cos the rate would be on the 1st wheel.

Kris.
Related