Audio

Hey can anyone tell me if you can run audio clips from the Axon:1zhelp: ? I have triggered media clips with audio via Catalyst, but was wondering if there is an audio out on the Axon and is so, have HES placed a audio play forward setting to use this function?:phone:

if not, i think it would be a great feature to add so that it could possibly be used on some events coming up.:poke:
  • Hello, unfortunately Axon does not have any Audio capabilities.

Thanks
  • It wouldn;t really be practial to add audio to the Axon.
    Remember the purpose behind the axon is to intgrate with rigs using the DL2's Everythings about both fixtures is exactly the same only the Axon does not include the motion section (Pan, tilt, dimmer,projector,camera) that the DL2 has.

This is so that in a rig containing DL2's you can also sync the DL2's with screens, other projectors etc etc.
    Also, the axon is good for pre-programming your show that contains DL2's without the fixtures being there as the DMX footprint/patch is exactly the same.
    All you would have to do when you arrive at the venue is swap the axon's for DL2's and program the motion section.

Kris.
  • I disagree with it being not practical. it would be way practical to have a audio out for the Axon, when you want to use several DL2 units to build a collage for one big video to use and then have a audio track to go along with it, the Axon then would be witin sync, because it is the same medium format of the DL2 units. I have used DL1 units with Catalyst to trigger audio feeds that track with media files.

Just as you said, sync with other DL2 units, that is the reason to have it on an Axon so that the same video file that is being used within DL2 units can be in the Axon and you now can sync both audio & video.

I have used that feature on Catalyst within several projects now, in fact one was for a network TV playback. It is faster than having a Audio guy & Graphic guy trying to sync. It is all done within one.

I just think it would be a great addition to have within the same device that gives you all this Collage features.

Keith
  • I do agree it would be a great feature to have,
    I have used it on the catalyst too and it's great for those corporate events that I seem to be spending most of my time on.

I just think that because HES are wanting to keep both the DL.2 and the Axon as simaliar as possible that this may not happen.

One can Hope :P

Kris.
  • it would be an easy option to have the audio as an extra fixture for the axon. in that whay the global and graphic part stays the same for dl2 and axon.

so dl2 has
    1 x motion
    1 x global
    3 x graphic layhers

and axon has
    1 x audio (sound level, balance, eq, phase etc. etc)
    1 x global
    3 x graphic layhers

folder 254 can be an folder excluded on the dl2. on the axon this would be the folder where .mov or wav or mp3 or any other audio files can be stored.

Frank Verbeek
    Production Partners
  • Think about that one Frank.........

If you were doing a show and wanted to play back a .mov file with the audio too through your DL.2's
    You would set you desk to:
    Folder - 254
    File - 002

Then it would not play throught your DL.2's, you would just get the audio feed (and the .mov file on screens if they are attached to the axon)

I see what your saying however, I just don;t think the seprate older is wise, When you could have any file in any folder that has audio along with it being out put from the axon.

Also i'm not sure what people would think about the extra fixture for the axon....... could cause a few problems for people who already have DL.2's and Axon's in their rig.
    Having to re-address everything in their rig when after updating the software on their axons. so they can fit in the audio fixtures profiles.

Kris.
  • I think having audio playback on AXON could be very useful.

I agree with Frank that probably the best way to keep the functions separate would be to add another "fixture" to be patched ie "Axon Audio" profile.

Additionally it would be great if we could playback DVD footage directly form the drive on the AXON and output video and audio. Possibly by assigning the DVD drive as an input device that the AXON would need to switch to.

Like s-video vs camera on DL.2....add an option for DVD....I realize this lives in the Motion portion of DL.2 which is not patched in AXON, but maybe this could be part of a new fixture profile "part" if you will to be patched.

Also just to clarify Quicktime .mov files will not work on AXON.....only MPEG-2 (.mov is used in Catalyst), so unless new file types are recognized by AXON/DL.2 I imagine it would need to be an MPEG-2 audio only file. Or two versions of your content. One with video only for the DL.2s and one with video + audio (or just audio) for the AXON.

This does not even address a possible Audio Input though, so again we would need a parameter that would switch between internal vs external audio sources

I have also requested serial control of devices like video switchers:
    forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=3401

So maybe this could all be lumped into one profile called AXON Server or something.
  • [QUOTE=Marty Postma]

Also just to clarify Quicktime .mov files will not work on AXON.....only MPEG-2 (.mov is used in Catalyst), so unless new file types are recognized by AXON/DL.2 I imagine it would need to be an MPEG-2 audio only file. Or two versions of your content. One with video only for the DL.2s and one with video + audio (or just audio) for the AXON.

This does not even address a possible Audio Input though, so again we would need a parameter that would switch between internal vs external audio sources

The reason that is was naming the .mov file is that its a file that is also used on the catalyst. When working in combinations with axon and catalyst this saves me time converting my custom content into separate files. I now have to convert my movie into mpgeg2 for the dl2 and use .mov files on the catalyst for pixalmapping. Support of .mov files is just an extra for me it is not a priority. playing an audio from file no mather what format is for me the most important issue. If wav is easy to implent than it have to be wav, is it mp3 than mp3 is also ok. any solution at this moment will do.

Controlling rs232 equipment is also high on my wishlist, but is this something we want from the axon or are we gone post it in the hog3 request list. There are a number of production that i want to use rs232 controls without having an axon there.....

Greetings

Frank Verbeek
  • i think that if HES just adds this as an additional run feature within playback, like it is on the Catalyst, then you would not have to worry about patching another fixture type or for that matter change anything within you setup. It comes as an addition within the new software update. as for playing movies, your right, I do know that .mov is used for QT on a mac or PC, but MPeg2s are used on the Axon & DL2 units. having a unit that can playback a movie (MPeg2 file) with audio, that matches within the same format as the DL2 unit would be nice and useful.

keith
  • I agree Frank!

Support for .mov in AXON & DL.2 would save LOADS of time converting content into both .mov and MPEG-2.

I still think we need another fixture profile to handle all of the thngs we have been talking about here.

Something like this:

AXON Server (patched in place of DL.2 Motion)
    DMX Channel ## - Function

1 - Audio input source:
    - Internal file (accessed as any other folder/file on a layer)
    - External input (accessed as folder value = 254 / file value = >1 to a layer; the same as with Video-In via fodler 255)
    - DVD drive (accessed via folder 254 / file value = >1 to a layer; the same as with Video-In via folder 255)

2 - Audio output volume control

3 - Video input source - DVD drive or S-video (acessed by folder 255 to a layer as normal)

4 - RS232 device #1-- Channel behavior would need to be set up within AXON Possibly via CMA? or maybe a separate config applet launched from the blue AXON startup screen?

5 - RS232 device #2
    6 - RS232 device #3
    7 - RS232 device #4

Thoughts?:friday: