DL.2 v1.3.2 Released!

SBlairSBlair Registered User, HES Alumni
edited March 2007 in DL.3/DL.2
We have just released verion 1.3.2 of the DL.2 Software today.

This version adds a number of new effects and improvements to the software.

The Press Release for information about new features in this software are located at: http://www.highend.com/news_events/news/news_detail.asp?news_id=379

The full Release Notes and Software are available at: http://www.highend.com/support/digital_lighting/DL2andAxonSoftwareUpgrades.asp

Comments

• Pan&TiltPan&Tilt Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Scott,
    Having difficulty updating one DL-2 unit to the new 1.3.2.110 firmware.
    Ended up rolling back to the previous version. CMA indicates that the Software Update 1.3.2.1268 is there but the firmware update (1.3.2.110 ) is not (indicating older version). Also have network "Activity" and "link" indicators flashing as the firwmware tries to update. Fixture indicates "fail" when completed. Rebooted a number of times and I can get proper operation with the older version of firmware and software.
    Any suggestions.
    Thanks
  • schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited March 2007
    We recently came across the same problem here in the office and are working to figure out what is going on as we speak.

One thing you can try is loading the new software and if the firmware fails, try power cycling the unit once or twice. Has seemed to help here in the office.

More info once we know what is happening.

Thanks,
    edited March 2007
    Excellent, No problem. At least we are not crazy.
    I'll attempt one more time, if not we'll just roll back to the previous version until further notice.
    Would you recommend rolling back and installing the older version before trying the update again or updating from the current point "failed"again after power down. Just inquiring if that will make any difference.
    Thanks
    edited March 2007
    Update (just an F.Y.I)
    Interesting thing occured when we went to try to re install the software.
    The unit was in the same state outline in my last thread. CMA indicating the same also when we came back to the units. Closed the CMA program and re-opened the program. The fixture did a re-home (yolk paned and head tilted, just the fixture we have been having this issue with). The second unit server information appeared as usual and it took another 3 to 4 minutes for the the server information on this first unit that we have been having problems with to appear on the CMA. The firmware information indicated the older version for about 30 seconds and then switch to the updated new version (1.3.2.110)
    Network status indicators both switchd off. Fixture seems to be working properly now. We never had the CMA activate a home process on the fixture when opening the program. Regardless we will run the fixture through it's paces after lunch and I will post a thread to its status.
    Thanks
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I've seen some strange lags happen when updates are sent while a fixture is recieving DMX. As long as 10-15 minutes after the code is sent.

After a fixture finishes loading its' new software it will re-home even if the power is cycled to the unit...it will just start over. So maybe this is what you were seeing?:confused:

Do you have the same issues when your DMX cables are unplugged?

Also are you running the fixtures to CMA off a switch? If so is it a Gigabit, or a slower one?

And forgive me for asking because I've sen it before....are you using pre-fab Cat5 cables or did you try and make them yourself?
    edited March 2007
    Marty,
    Thanks for your response. Some answers to your questions
    We are using a Gigabit switch with the CMA. Also we are using Belden 7924A Cable in which we have fabricated for use with these units.
    We have also ran into another issue specific to this fixture. We have had no problems with the other unit.
    This same unit in which we had the problem uploading the new software with also will not totally come online on power up.
    Upon boot up the display indicates the High End Logo and then goes blank. We only have control of pan and tilt but cannot access the graphics engine.
    The units were hung from a truss in the shop for programming. We ended up taking the unit down and flipping over on it's base. We now have control of the unit. We powered down the unit once again and now have the same problem in reverse. Checked all our settings in the CMA for display flip ect.
    (all settings are the same between the 2 units on the CMA, only this one unit is giving us fits) Any suggestions on a course of action we can take before opening the unit? Heading back to the shop to see how things are progressing with the programmer and if they have any other issues after the weekend.
    Thanks
    edited March 2007
    When you lose access to the graphics engine, do you still have a menu, or is the LCD screen blank as well?

One thing to check is the state of the external RGBHV relays. Either in the menu under the SET -> PROJECTOR tab or in the CMA, cycle the 'Projector Input" setting from Internal to External and back to Internal again. Some times the relays will get out of sync with their menu setting and need to be run through this cycle to get every set straight.

Another thing to try if you can't get any output from the graphics engine is the self test video patterns. Turning on the patterns and setting them to pattern two should show you all three layers and a background color.
    edited March 2007
    Matt,
    The LCD Screen is blank.
    The unit is currently up and running correctly as we speak but the screen is still blank. It seems to come and go as it pleases. It has a bit of backlight so it has not totally lost power to the screen.
    I will try your suggested proceedure with the relays if I can get it to act up again and try to continue to find some type of consistancy to the issue.
    Thanks
    edited March 2007
    Do what Matt suggests first...I have seen a few times where the External/Internal relay gets stuck.

It is also probably worth while checking all the connections to the computer inside the top-box. If you are seeing intermittant signal to the menu screen it could be as simple as a loose connection somewhere in the wire-harness as well (look at the video connectors from the S-video I/O plug).

You also might want to pull out the comptuer and re-seat the video card (i.e. pull it out and then put it back in).
    edited March 2007
    Oh yeah....if you do open up the computer, check and see what video card you have installed. All the new DL.2s have the ATI RADEON X1900XT, but the older ones have the ATI RADEON X850XT (I think I have my model ##s right). The main thing is they use different DVI ports on the card to send graphics output to the projector.

Older Video Card: ATI Radeon X850XT
    - Use DVI port farthest from motherboard (Top plug if on its' base)

Newer Video Card: ATI Radeon X1900XT
    - Use DVI port closest to motherboard (Bottom plug if on its' base)
    edited March 2007
    Marty, Matt,
    Back from lunch, powered the units back up and have connectivity via the CMA but have no control via the units buttons and the screen is blank. Switched External/Internal a few times with the CMA and through the desk and you can hear the relays clicking. I think we are good there. I will here shortly open the unit up per your request. Anything else that maybe you would like us to try while the unit is currently in this state and before we proceed with any physical evaluation of the internal workings of the unit.
    Thanks
    edited March 2007
    Oh yeah....if i get a couple of guys to pick the unit up, flip it over and then back to where it was it seems to resolve the issue. It's worked so far.????
    edited March 2007
    Just to make sure I understand fully, the menu is blank, but do you have any graphics engine output, or is that just black as well?
    edited March 2007
    Seems like a loose connection but even if you shake the unit or tilt it doesn't matter, it has to be flipped all the way over...taking a gander inside
    edited March 2007
    defintely sounds like a loose video card or cable connection.

If you are not familiar with opening up the unit there are some very helpful diagrams from the HES support page

http://www.highend.com/support/digital_lighting/dl2.asp

Scroll down about halfway to see the "Connection Diagrams"
  • SBlairSBlair Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited March 2007
    Hmm... Sounds really odd that you have to rotate the fixture completely. Just for grins, can you try changing the setting on the Display Invert in the menu to see if that causes a change?

I just want to be sure to rule that out.
    edited March 2007
    Removed the cover casing and the CPU. Checked for any unseated or loose connections. Everything seemed in order visually. Reconnected connectors on CPU housing and re-assembled unit. Powered unit back up and we seem to be operational. Letting my programmer get some things done and then we will power down again and see if we come back up online or if the problem re-occurs. Will post another thread to our status.BTW we do have the X850XT in this unit. Thanks Marty and Matt for all your help
    edited March 2007
    Scott,
    Tried changing the settings via the CMA without any luck.
    edited March 2007
    Glad it's working again:)

Let us know if you run into anythng else.
  • RKHCKPRKHCKP Registered User
    edited March 2007
    it sounds like a problem i had not to long ago. the LCD would flash on everyonce in a while, but mostly was out, but had a halo around the edge, so that i know that it had pwer getting to it.

the fix for me was the 90 degree angle connector - i believe it is the EVBO connector. this was coming out of the graphics card. after awhile it seems these type of connectors wear loosely inside the unit. everytime i would open up the face place and reconnect things, it would work. BUT, with the pressure of the cable bundle going back into the fixture just pasted this connector, it got knocked loose. just not a lot of room right there in the fixture. a little dab of hot glue fixed my connector from coming loose and now the LCD works fine.

hope that helps.

keith
    edited March 2007
    Keith Thanks for your post.
    Sounds like a similiar problem. I'll have to give that connector a wiggle next time it won't come online on power up to see if we are dealing with the same type of issue. It's been up and running for the most part of today but we'll see tomorrow when the guys come in to start programming first thing AM after it's been off all night. I believe they are planning on flipping back over for a hang rather than sitting on there bases. Thanks Again..everyones been most helpful.
    edited March 2007
    RKHCKP wrote:
    the fix for me was the 90 degree angle connector - i believe it is the EVBO connector. this was coming out of the graphics card. after awhile it seems these type of connectors wear loosely inside the unit. everytime i would open up the face place and reconnect things

Hey Keith are you talking about a DL.2 or an iPC?? I've never seen a DL.2 with a 90-deg adapter for the graphics card:confused:. The iPCs all have them though.
    edited March 2007
    Hey Keith are you talking about a DL.2 or an iPC?? I've never seen a DL.2 with a 90-deg adapter for the graphics card:confused:. The iPCs all have them though.

I think Keith might be referring to the VIVO connector ;) If that connector is even the slightest bit loose it can cause the menu not to show up. Chances are, by removing the computer and reseating this connector when you put everything back in it fixed the problem.

One thing you can do to make the connection a little tighter (before going all the way to glue) is mis-shape the outside of the connector a little bit. I normally just take a needle nose pliers, grab the rim of the connector and give it a little tweak. This will make it fit tighter in the socket and be less likely to get loose.