(build 1216)Bug Report: System failure after cloning universe

Name: John Crimins
Date:2-21-07
Software Version and build number:v2.02 (b 1216)
Number of displays:2 external
Connected USB Devices: None
Networked Devices:2 DP2000 networked through d-link switch

Problem:
After programming a simple single universe show, I cloned that universe from DMX 1 on my primary DP2000 to DMX 1 on my backup DP2000: the goal being having a simple backup in case my primary DP2000 fails.
Immediately after finishing the cloning, any cuelists that are currently running begin to jump around as if they're random chases. The lists can't be released, asserted or paused and any action I take has no effect on their rogue behavior other than restarting the console.
On Friday, Mike Hanson loaded a show into my console for a DL2 demo and the same problem arose when he tried to repeat what I had done with cloning from one DP2000 to the other.

Troubleshooting attempted:
Replaced the ethernet switch and ethernet cables.
Tried cloning from the secondary DP2000 to the primary.
Restarted desktop, editor, and playback processes.
Scratched my head and said "hmmm" alot.

I would like to attach a show file, but I'm a Mac guy and am not sure how to do that.

Thanks
  • John,

Does the jumping only occur with playbacks that were active when you cloned the universe?
    If you release all playbacks (pig+release) and then play them again do you still see the problem?
    If you restart the console and reload the show do you still see the problem?
    Is there anything unique about the playbacks that exhibit this problem (lists, scenes, chases, htp, cue only, etc.), or do all playbacks seem to jump?

Thanks.
  • Hi Tom,
    If a playback is already active when I do the cloning, it will begin to dance around.
    If no playbacks are active when I clone, all will seem to be as it should until a playback is played, then it will become possessed.
    Once possessed, playbacks cannot be released, paused or affected in any way until the board is restarted.
    Once restarted, the cloned to DP2000 is "not found" until I hard reset it. Once it is found and the show loads in, playing any playback will trigger the problem.
    Nothing unique about the playbacks. They are simple cues with intensities for a few desk channels, a dozen Image80s, and a dozen Lumapanels.

Another tidbit I noticed:
    I had a few desk channels in the programmer one of the times I did the cloning.
    The board started to do it's freakout.
    In trying to regain control, I cleared the programmer.
    In the output window, I switched to the "sources" view.
    The channels that had been in the programmer were still showing the programmer as their source, while the other active channels were showing their actual cue source info.

At wrap tonight I'll try some more stuff to try and provide you with more info.
    Thanks
  • John,

Was your backup DP connected when you cloned the universe?
    Had anything been patched to it already, or was cloning the first time that anything was patched on that DP?
    Did the backup DP properly come online and show Outputs Active?

Thanks.
  • Tom,
    My backup DP was connected when I cloned the universe.
    Nothing had been patched to it already.
    The backup DP came online properly and showed Outputs Idle until I cloned to it, at which point it showed Outputs Active.

I fooled around with it some more last night and found a few things.
    The nature of the freakout is essentially any playback that is playing will alternate rapidly and randomly between a playing and a released state.
    I could regain control of the console without restarting if I:
    Either unpatched the backup DP or changed its Net # to a virgin #,
    and went into the cuelist options of the freaking out playbacks, set them to "is a chase", then deselected the "is a chase" option.

At this point, now back in control, I added some new fixtures to the show and patched them to the backup DP with the new Net #. All appeared to be fine, except when I brought those new fixtures into the programmer, I couldn't adjust any of their parameters. It was as if they were in a pre-patched state.

Thanks
  • Tom,
    I don't know the technical reason why the DPs were conflicting, but I sorted it out.
    I went into the config menus on the DPs and checked the "DHCP" box on each.
    Now everything is fine.
    To make these DPs work with my Hog3PC setup, I had changed all sorts of settings on the PC and on the DPs.
    I suppose I should reset the DPs to their defaults when I use them with the Hog3 in the future.
    Perhaps I should also pick up a copy of "networks for dummies" since I'm really hazy about the whole networking thing.
    Thanks for your help.
    -John
  • [quote=J Crimins]Perhaps I should also pick up a copy of "networks for dummies" since I'm really hazy about the whole networking thing.

I highly recommend "Rock Solid Ethernet" by Wayne Howell.

It is a book on networking from someone who speaks our langauage!

Here's a link to where to buy:

www.plsnbookshelf.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=120
Related