16-bit for scale

I have noticed that when crossfading values (especially long slow fades) using any of the "scale" channels, things can get a bit jumpy.

Any way of implementing a higher resolution for X-Y-Z scaling?

I realize this would mean an additional 3 channels of control.
  • Marty,

This has definately been a problem from the beginning, and a pretty ugly one as you have noticed. Unfortunately to go to 16 bit scaling, it would actually require 9 additional channels, as we have scaling on all three layers.

We have done some tweaking on the code in 1.3.1 that made it better than it was previously. If you really want to shudder, downgrade back to an earlier version and do some scale crossfading ;) .

We have a threshold in the software now that we can adjust up and down for smooth fades vs. snaps. I will make sure that your feedback hits the correct ears and we can see if we can smooth it out a bit more.

Thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming :headbang:
  • Marty, i found this out back in earlier last year (Feb.) and the way around to smooth crossfades was to move the 'Z' position back or forwards about 10 clicks to get a smooth crossfade. When talking with Tom Grimes about this issue (which was a HUGE thing for us in pre-programming our units). that was do to the way Mircosoft Direct X uses the 3d format within the fixtures. I know that Tom was working on this issue and trying to figure out a fix without it being a costly one.

i know that it seems to be crazy to do this, but it is a workable work around for now. you will really notice huge issues if you do any kind of zooming in on the 3D objects within the scaling. since we do so much zooming in on our programming for our looks, it was a big find to do this work around.

hope this helps.

keith hoagland
  • Hi Keith,

Good tip! Kind of a "watch this hand while the other pulls off the trick".

Unfortunately quite often I have zoomed in so close, and have objects in such close proximity to one another that moving the position would destroy the look.
  • most of my crossfades only had to have a couple of clicks to move. most of the time, when the move took place it was during the crossfade. most folks, even at times the designers have not even seen the objects move. it only takes about 10 clicks. when you have each position (x, y, z) default at 32768, moving say layer 1,z-32755, layer 2 z-32775, layer 3 z-32768; this allowed me to have a smooth crossfade. moving this little bit is huge in the digital world, but not so much within the playback of the media files in the DL2.

it was hard at times to get done, but once i figured this out, i placed each new cue with these moves in it, so that way i could make sure
    i was always having smooth cross fades.

it is a rough work around, but from what i understand with talking to HES is that until Microsoft comes out with a new or smoother way that DirectX works within 3D, it is the way DL2 will work for the time being. it still beats trying to time a cue with a video crew to blow such great looks you can get nowdays with lighting & video all within the same console.

best of luck
    keith
  • Ahhh....very cool. I'll have to give that a try. I didn't realize it was such a small move, and if you move all the objects together the look is maintaned then.

Nice one:headbang: