Min PC configuration

Does anyone have a list for the minimum processes that should be running on a PC while the Hog3pc software is running?
  • Dennis,

Hog 3PC installs everything that it needs to run. It doesn't specifically require any other software or services beyond the basic Windows XP functionality (like networking). The short answer to your question is that you want as little running as possible. Every extra application or service that you have running in the background is using CPU and memory and could potentially interfere with Hog 3PC or even crash. If you are going to be using Hog 3PC in a show environment, I'd recommend having a dedicated PC with no other software running.

I hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the reply, what I ended up doing was totally wiping the hard drive and installing a new copy of XP, when I did this my processes went down from 51 to 15. I am going to try and monitor these processes as I install the HogPC3 & HogPC2.

Thanks again
  • Dennis,

There are some of services that are installed and running by default within windows that you may want to consider disabling, but this type of customized configuration will involve sacrificing some windows functionality to try to gain extra performance.

My basic reccomendations:

Turn off power management. You don't want your PC going to sleep while running a show.

Disable the Automatic Updates service. Make a point of keeping your PC and software up to date, but you don't want a service doing this for you while you're running a show.

Disable the Indexing Service. This service scans the content on your hard drive and creates indexes so that searches are faster. This can be an involved process, and not something you want happening during a show.

Turn off any web publishing services that you aren't using. I wouldn't run the World Wide Web Publishing, Simple Mail Transport Protocol, FTP Publishing, or IIS Admin services on a show computer.

I hope this helps.
  • I don't think any of those are installed at the moment. I see one file in the task manager called explorer.exe but I didn't have the browser open if that is what that is. I suppose I am going to have to google all 15 of these processes and see if I can figure out what each one does.

Thanks for the info:notworthy:
  • Dennis,

Explorer is your Windows XP shell. Windows XP will not run without this file.

Task Manager doesn't give you much (if any) information about the services running on your computer. You can view and manage your running services from the Computer Management screen (right-click on My Computer and select Manage), but I would recommend not making any changes unless you are comfortable with and confident about what you are changing. It is *very* possible to get your computer into a state where it won't boot or run properly by changing these settings.
Related