Original Emulator presets.

Hi there! Got 2 LWR Emulators + led controller. All preset data seems to be erased. Is there a way to get original presets to controller? Where can i get them?

cheers!
  • Call Don Pugh @ 1-512-873-7106 Big daddy Don has it all. Tell'em I sent ya.:headbang:
  • Buzz,

Our LED controller pro is out of the office right now for Christmas, but I don't think that the original LED controllers had any "stock" presets. My memory from programming Intellabeam LED controllers was that I had to create all of my looks from scratch. I'll try to confirm this for you, or Don at LightParts could certainly answer your question for you.

Thanks.
  • [quote=teerickson]My memory from programming Intellabeam LED controllers was that I had to create all of my looks from scratch.

I believe you a right on this Tom.

No stock presets ever came with any LED or LCD controller I ever used....and I used A LOT of them back in the day....:trink26:
  • I keep thinking there were some... all the letters and numbers..simple shapes etc..but thats about it.:dunno:
    I always wanted to throw a green 12mw yag in one and replace the lamp.
    It's servo motors did a pretty good job.
  • [quote=Puffyfish]I keep thinking there were some... all the letters and numbers..simple shapes etc..but thats about it.:dunno:
    I always wanted to throw a green 12mw yag in one and replace the lamp.
    It's servo motors did a pretty good job.

Just so out nomenclature is clear....;)

There are scanning "PROGRAMS" that live onboard the actual fixture and are called up via controller.

If using LCD/LED controller you get to them with the "PROGRAM" key, then you can adjust the scan size/speed/angle all that good stuff. This is just another set of parameters that are stored on "PAGES" that are then linked together to form "PRESETS".

The main difference between the LCD and LED controllers besides the display is greater control with the LCD model of the scale on X+Y axes and sync options as well if memory serves.

If your controller is then dumping the info for your PAGES and PRESETS when you power off, you probably need to replace the internal battery.

Rumor has it that some folks in the club business custom modified a small handful EMULATORS at one point that did have YAGs in them about 10 years ago, though I've never actually seen one of these. The big disadvantage of this is you get stuck with only that YAG "Lime Green". The color wheel is renedered usless.

Just as a point of clarification, the scanning motors are galvos, not servos as we're used to them. The other two motors for the gate and color wheel are steppers.

I had the pleasure of working for 6 years in a venue that had 22 of these bad-boys, but we ran them off our HOG with a DMX converter box from Interactive Technologies.
  • Thanks for your help. :) Spend one week in garage programming emulators. They're amazing. Seen lot of them in 90's warehouse parties and loved 'em. They still look fresh. :)

Is it possible to use any other lamp in emulator? Any specs for the lamp?
  • As I recall, there is only one lamp. Few make it. HES or Lightparts.com have them. Just don't ever touch them, there quite nasty when they detonate with skin oil on them. Use a paper towel an wipe them with alcohol.
    When the lamps get old they just wont fire so just replace them.

Marty; You had 22?! Wowzers!:Eyecrazy: O man,.. that had to be the foshizzle for sure! You lucky dog.:headbang:
  • Yeah....that rig is still running too as far as I know...club called 'Webster Hall' in the East Village.

Luciano is the man there now:hogsign:
  • [quote=teanegro]
    Is it possible to use any other lamp in emulator? Any specs for the lamp?
    I have a bunch of emulators and they are still among my favorite fixtures. I've had several discussions with Don P (indeed the master of 'elderly' fixtures) regarding emulator lamps, and he said the best lamp is from the original OEM manufacturer, A.R.C. (original HOL-1000). There are other lamps that will work, however, according to Don, many tend to burst. Being a very high pressure lamp, it almost always destroys the reflector and the condensor lens when they blow up. So the money you might save on a cheaper lamp will be offset by the cost of replacing optics.

I've also talked to a frustrated board operator at a venue with 16 emulators (whose management went with cheaper lamps) who could not keep all 16 lit during the course of the evening. They would strike initially then go out later in the evening. Sometimes they could be restuck, but usually they were done for the night. Moral of the story... get the original "right" lamps from Don. :)
Related