axon DMX View

Hey Folks,
On the Axon,
I would like there to be a option to see the DMX view of any DL2/Axon on the network.

This would make it much easier to set up a collage on a desk that does not have the ability to see all 256 steps of a DMX channel

There could just be a tab at the top of the screen with the names of all the DL2/axon's on the network.

This also would be a nice addition to the CMA in general for both PC and Mac.

Thanks!
Joshua Wood
Service Manager
Ruehling Associates Inc.
  • Keep in mind too that if you can see it via CMA then you should see on on AXON too b/c you can run CMA in tandem with AXON.
  • Right Marty,
    I guess I should rephrase that last line,
    I actually like the idea of using the CMA better than changing the way the DMX view currently works.
    Josh
  • Josh,

This request as been added into our system as #10305

I can definately see the advantages to doing something like this for setting up collages, however this is adding a feature that the CMA was never really designed for.

The CMA was designed for content management and configuration setting, which does not have to update in real time. When a change is made to content or configuration, an update is triggered to the servers to keep the information in the CMA up to date. There are also discovery updates triggered on timers to update the server list to keep track of servers entering or leaving the network. But even these built-in refreshes may only be happening once every several seconds.

Adding a tab for DMX view would require real time communication between the servers and the CMA, which will cause more processing churn on the servers and more network traffic. In order for it to be truly effective, we would most likely need something to the tune of a 30hz refresh for this information. This would require some pretty serious re-archtitecting of the system.

I'm not saying it can't be done, its just not trivial :33:
  • A bit bold but one thing to think about...
    On my hog 3, I love to have my programmer open.
    I do however need screen real-estate.
    If the CMA could show a window showing the DMX in a "programmer/editor" style format then I would be very happy.
    Obviously this would not be easy to do since the editors on a hog 3 show palettes in them but perhaps using the same linking software that the visualizers use, there might be a possibility.
    For now though, simply a table view that showed the file, folder, the name of the color fx or vis fx, and the value of the different states would totally rock!