Stay in Allow refs

stephlightstephlight Registered User
If i create a palette with Allow refs and after i merge values inside i must select again "more" and "Allow refs", if i want that the palette stay in Allow refs.

Could we have an option in Preferences that make stay a palette in Allow refs when we merge other values inside with out selecting again Allow refs.

thanks
steph

Comments

• Akito.HAkito.H Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited December 2006
    steph,

I also agree to your Request.

Thanks,
    Akito
  • quinnquinn Registered User
    edited December 2006
    hey thanks for bringing that up, steph. my fingers have gotten so used to going through the motions, i almost forgot how much it bothers me...

i'd like to take it further, as i do, and get Allow Refs to be on ALWAYS.

when i press record, i expect what's in my programmer to get saved.

how *dare* my console do any different. without telling me, and non-consistently too.

Embedded Palettes revolutionized the ways many of us approached our worlds, i'd even say it's become a true fundamental.

it's a concept that's become so natural to us, yet its implementation has turned into, a horrible hindrance...
  • stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited December 2006
    you're welcome, quinn

I just do it 10 times and it's start boring me, as i want to try to put only palettes in cues and no more hard values or only those are specific to one cue, i'm a great "alow refs" user
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited December 2006
    I think that most programmers (myself included) generally don't reference most of their palettes to each other. There are times when this is hugely useful, but most of the time my (position) palettes have hard values pointing to a specific point on stage.

I do agree that having a preference would allow users to customize this behaviour to their own needs. I've opened enhancement #10268 to request this and I've added your comments to the request.

Thanks.
    edited December 2006
    My request is because if you have a reference palette already existing and you want to modifie it you must reselect "allow ref". The option would be: if you have saved a palette one time with allow ref, it will stay reference even if you update or merge new values, since you unselect allow ref button.

thanks
    edited December 2006
    Steph,

When you are editing a palette in an editor, it will keep and properlry update references if the palette is already a reference palette. You don't need to make changes to the update toolbar before you update.

If you want the console to intelligently use references when merging into a reference palette from the programmer, then we'll need to make some changes to the allow refs button on the record and merge toolbars. Currently the button defaults to off. We would need to default it to flat (not on or off) so that users could explicitly turn allow refs on or off.

How does that sound?
    edited December 2006
    teerickson said:
    How does that sound?
    Really good image
    edited December 2006
    Steph,

I've logged this idea as request #10272 and I've added your comments to the enhancement.

Thanks.
    edited December 2006
    thanks,

steph
  • SourceChildSourceChild Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Mentioning Position, on Big Rig shows, I might have three levels of embedded ref palettes. For example, G1, G2, Keys, Drums, Perc, Bass, Vox 1, Vox 2, Vox 3, Vox 4, Vox 5, Stage Pos1 - Stage Pos 10, and Aud Pos1 - Aud Pos 20 would all be foundation palettes.
    The second tier would be Band 1 -Band 10, Vox GRP1 - Vox GRP10, Stage Look1 - Stage Look20, Aud Look1 - Aud Look 20.
    The third Tier would be "[Song name] V1 Look1", "[Song name] V1 Look2", "[Song name] V2 Look1", "[Song name] V2 Look2", "[Song name] Pre-Chorus Look1", "[Song name] Pre-Chorus Look2", etc.
    It would be nice if there were a way to have comments that would track through in the allow ref palette building that could give me the ability to see for example what "aud look" or "band look" was in the "verse 2 pos" palette instead of seeing 100 lights and 100 individual pos palettes.
    The idea is that I will create a cuelist cue called "Take" (the word from a song) which is cue 85 in a list and use "Verse 2 pos" in it. When I open the editor, I don't want to see the individual light palettes, I want to see the 2nd tier group palettes instead but know that if I change tier one, it will reference through to tier 2 and tier three.
    I've tried as best as I can to explain this but feel free to ask more questions. This would be a feature that would literally save hundreds of man-hours of programming time.
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Any update on this? Having an 'Always on' option for Allow Refs would be super helpful on a TV show I'm on where time is short and fingers need to be fast!
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2009
    Bug #19272 is still on our todo list, but is not currently targeted to a specific release.