DL-2 preview

Hi,
just wondering is it possible to preview content on a DL-2 and if so how you would do that.
just to clarify if i wanted to preview content in a show situation so i know what the next image/video etc would be.
I have read the other post's and understand that you can preview the camera,and you can use the onboard LCD screen to preview the thumbnail's of content and you can also see content in the CMA application but i'm talking about about "on the fly" situation where if for instance an LD asked to have a look at the next cue before it became active.

Hope this makes sense
Cormac
  • The best method is probably to have an extra Axon media server at FOH. The Axon runs the same software as the DL.2 and is treated in the same manner by the console (minus a set of fixture control channels).

Before you say anything...this is definitely an additional cost for the production. How much of a cost will vary per vendor, and the impact on overall budget would vary based on the size of the show.

Another added benefit of carrying a FOH server like this, is that it gives you the ability to feed your video content to other display mediums such as video walls, in-house plasmas or projectors, and recording trucks (during that inevitable last-minute video shoot).

Otherwise, the CMA client is probably your best method. But, currently, you can only browse media in the manner your familiar with. There is no way for it to give you a 'Next Cue Heads-Up Display' of any sort.

--

Of course, your LD wanting to see a cue before it comes up on the console has its own issues as well...

...but I think that may be worth its own thread.

Good Luck and Happy Programming!

Phil
  • Hi Phil,
    thanks for the reply.
    ok so in short there is a way to preview a DL-2 but i need to get an axxon or other media server to do this.
    This is really just me trying to figure out what you can an can't do with a DL-2.
    I would love to have pre-production on every show i do but sometimes that isn't possible so i wanted to find out if i was using a DL-2 in a live situation how would i do a show on the fly and preview content,i think to be fair it isn't uncommon for a client or show caller to want to see a slide/image before the cue is executed.

Thanks again Cormac
  • "it isn't uncommon for a client or show caller to want to see a slide/image before the cue is executed"

Absolutely true. And I think it's one of the more difficult things to deal with as a programmer sometimes. I've been in this situation myself, and it can be very challenging, technically.

So, how you would actually program this would probably depend quite a bit on your programming style.

I would emphasize that an Axon is the best way to go when using DL.2s, as the stock content on these boxes are identical (everywhere in the world! - how cool!) and they are programmed in exactly the same ways.

It also means that content management is a snap, since the CMA sees the Axons and DL.2s in exactly the same way. So if you do pre-pro with your Axon at home, wearing your pajamas, your robe, and your Grommit house-slippers, in your bathroom...err...if you load a bunch of extra custom content on and program with that, the CMA can auto-magically replicate all of that to your DL.2s on-site. How cool!

Did I answer the pertinent stuff?

PG
  • Thank you,
    yes you did indeed answer my question's but i have another if that's ok?is it possible to add non-stock content to an axxon server or are you limited to the lock-down content.

Regards Cormac
  • Wow Phil,

Great job answering all the questions!

Cormac, Phil covered everything very well. The only thing I'd add is that the way you would use an Axon to preview a DL.2 would just be to give it the same DMX feed and set the address on it to match up with the DL.2 fixture you want to preview...and it will then mimic everything the Graphics Engine in the DL.2 is doing.