Replacing Hog 1000 Power Supply

I have a unit that periodically (every few days) will drop its DMX signal, release all cues, and all console lcds will go dark. Some button leds stay on. Usually by waiting a few moments it will come back on its own. However, losing all your lights in the middle of a show, as you might imagine, sucks, even if only for 20 or 30 seconds.
I'm guessing its a power supply issue, though why certain parts of the board maintain power while others lose it is beyond me.
My question, in three parts, is (1) do others feel this is probably a power supply issue (2) are the Hog 1000 power supplies generic and readily available at your local electronics superstore, ala the Pearl and (3) is replacing one pretty straightforward, so's that a blundering ass like myself could replace it without screwing it all up. (ie no soldering required)
Thanks in advance.
  • Hello, from the information given, it could be a number of things, maybe even the power supply. You may also have a loose cable inside the console. You may have a damaged pcb, maybe something was spilled in it at one time and some corrosion has damaged some traces on the pcb.
    It is really hard to say from the information given, and without seeing the console for evaluation.

When the console comes back to life, does it react like it does when you first power it on, do you get the Start Window where you select New Show or Load Show?

Mitch
  • I do a clean restart nearly every day, and the problem occurs for both of two LDs using separate shows, so it's not as simple as needing a restart. I will check all the connections inside and the pcb for corrosion. Assuming it is a power supply, (my gut tells me that's the problem) where might one easily obtain such a power supply?
  • [QUOTE=Mitch]Hello, from the information given, it could be a number of things, maybe even the power supply. You may also have a loose cable inside the console. You may have a damaged pcb, maybe something was spilled in it at one time and some corrosion has damaged some traces on the pcb.
    It is really hard to say from the information given, and without seeing the console for evaluation.

When the console comes back to life, does it react like it does when you first power it on, do you get the Start Window where you select New Show or Load Show?

Mitch

PCB looks pretty clean, and to my knowledge nothing has ever been spilled in it. As for when it comes back to life, previously it would just come back with the show loaded, albeit all cues released; the latest incident however, during which the board was lost for the longest time yet, it came back to the start window and the show had to be reloaded. I've ordered another power supply, hoping I can successfully replace it and that a new one will cure what ails me.
Related