Adding Value Via Palette

Is it possible to program a palette to add or subtract DMX value to a certain parameter?, similar to an encoder wheel.

Ex. When i press the palette it adds one to the DMX value of Intensity. and i would also have a palette that subtracts one. Or better yet it adds ten to the DMX value and if you hold HOG while pressing palette then you get one added. I would like this for many parameters of Catalyst.
--Jesse
  • Jesse,

I've thought about this myself a number of times and I think that "relative" palettes could be extremely useful.

My first thought is that the offsets would make the most sense as real world values. For example, fixture 1 in position 2 could have a value of position 1 + 45 degrees. One of the big advantages of the Wholehog 3 is that we mask DMX values from users. This allows you to work with units like degrees, Hz, RPM, and seconds that make sense to designers and allows much easier control of multiple fixture types together.

I see a few potential problems with this thought of "relative" palettes. The biggest one is having an easy way to update values. When I Auto-Update, I'll now need to consider all of the following options:

Update the offset in the relative palette.
    Write an absolute value in the relative palette and remove the reference.
    Update the base palette. (taking the offset in the relative palette into consideration?)
    Write a hard value into the cue or scene.

There are also some questions as to how to create these new palettes. Normally, when a fixture is in a palette, as soon as I dial an encoder, I'm removing that palette reference and adjusting hard values. We would need some key combination that would allow us to dial offsets and keep the base palette reference.

I'd be happy to get an enhancement logged for this, but I want to make sure we come up with functionality that is going to be both useful and intuitive.

Let me know what you think.
    Thanks.

Related