Technobeam Issues

I received an "invalid thread" message when I tried to post under the "Issues with Technobeam Color Wheel" thread, so I'm starting a new one.

So here's my story: my University aquired six new TechnoBeams about two and a half years ago. Used them for Freshman Orientation that year (oooh, pretty lights and patterns!) then put them away for storage until next time we needed them.

We took them out again for the production-which-shall-not-be-named (long story, don't ask >_

Practical Information:
- six units in the air split (3 and 3) onto two pipes. Each set of three is daisy-chained and terminated at the end. (And yes, the terminators ARE built correctly... I should know, I built them myself >_<)
- tried unpatching M-Speed control from the board (I've heard from other people that doing that will generally make the problem go away) but to no avail.
- re-installed fixture profiles (also re-patched)
- fixtures all have up-to-date software.
- Fixture profiles downloaded brand-spankin' new from ETC

Oh, and just to make life interesting... we have been able to get ONE T-beam to respond completely. Pan/tilt, color, gobo, strobe, all anyone could ever want of a techno, it does. Everyone else on the other hand... doesn't. =P The working t-beam is located DSL as the first fixture in the daisy chain on that pipe.

One other thing I should mention. We are also using two ROBE 250 spots in the production, however they are on a separate run of DMX entirely and work as intended without any problems.

Any and all help anyone can give me on this matter is VERY appreciated. Via forum or email is fine =)

Thanks again,

Gillian
  • Gillian,

Have you tried running through the onboard Self Tests in the menu of the fixtures to see if all the functions are operating there?

That will help cut the troubleshooting in half here.
  • Well, I tend to start at the end and work my way to control.
    Are the dmx in lights on the units say they are getting siginal?
    This siginal might be legless and you still see the light.
    What splits your siginal? A real dmx splitter or a Y cable?:eek:
    Are there errors on the line? A dmx'ter can tell you this.:D
    The last unit in line (or any one of them) has dmx diagnosis built into the software. :rtfm: Its in there and you can even chan find.
    Are all 512 chans being emitted?
    Whats the refresh rate?
    Will the units self test?:dunno:
    If you plug directly into the last unit does it work?
    If you address all fixtures to the address of the one that works do they then function?
    Terminator plugs do go bad! Seen it 8-9 times. Power surges, lightning, static can sometimes take them out. There only 1/4 watt ya know.

My bet is on a bad wire rather than a console issue.:33: The force is strong on this one...:cool:
Related