select fixtures not using pallet

stephlightstephlight Registered User
Is there a simple and fast way to select all fixtures not using position pallet from editor, cue or scene?
If that does not exist would it be possible to build this option.
[FONT="]Using something like position + 0 could be a way
[/FONT]

Comments

• teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited October 2006
    Steph,

Just to clarify:

You want a way to select all fixtures that are not currently in a specific position palette on-stage. This would select all other fixtures, regardless of whether or not the palette applies to them, right?

I think a selection modifier, like / - Palette might work well for this. That would allow you to be more specific and use commands to do things like "Select all studio colours on the front truss that aren't aimed at the drummer".

How does that sound?
  • stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited October 2006
    The reason for which I ask this option is that I often create bases pallets that I call to build a look, and once this look is finished, the designer made me move some fixtures which then do not refer any more to a position pallet or color or beam, so I must quickly select fixtures not using a pallet (which can be anywhere but not included in particular groups) to create a pallet dedicated to this look which I can update in other venues on the following dates.

I would like to be able to use something like:

op1: (All fixtures), -, position, record, position, 1, 2, enter
    op2: (All fixtures), - + position, record, position, 1, 2, enter

That would select in group (All fixtures) fixtures not using any position pallets and would record them in the position pallet number 12

The solution you give seems very good if it can also be at the same time more “global” by taking account only of - position, - color, - beam, and why not - cue and - scene, and precise while being able to specify – position3, - color12 and so on

That sounds very useful for me
    edited October 2006
    Tom am i clear enough?
    edited October 2006
    Steph,

I'm sorry it took me a few days to respond to you. I just got back from Las Vegas where the LDI trade show was happening.

There's one thing I think I need a bit of clarification with.

When you select these fixtures, are you trying to select fixtures that are not currently using the palette (which would include those lights not in the palette and possible some lights in the palette that are just doing other things), or only the fixtures that the palette doesn't apply to at all?

I'm still trying to think this one through syntactically, because I want to make sure that we end up with command syntax that both makes sense and is also consistent with our current syntax used with other functions.

Thanks.
    edited October 2006
    you're welcome Tom i know that my English is so bad that many people don't understand me

i trying to select fixtures that are not currently using any palette is the exact sentence.

thank you for your patience
    steph
    edited November 2006
    is that clear enough for you tom?
    edited November 2006
    Steph,

I understand what you're asking for and I think it would be useful to have a way to handle a number of cases when thinking about how to modify the current selection. Here are the cases I think we should consider and how I think we could best deal with the syntax.

1) All lights not in palette X
    / - [Palette]

2) All lights not in palette X that palette X applies to
    / - Fixture [Palette]

3) All lights not currently in a palette of type X
    / - Position

4) All lights not currently in any palette
    / - I P C B E

What do you think?
    edited November 2006
    It's looks good, the last syntax is / - I P C B E because /- is already used or because you must specify some thing after /-?

thanks
    steph
    edited November 2006
    I think / - is too vague. There's no indication in that command of what it does. Since we don't have a general "Palette" button, I figured that we could just use the IPCBE buttons to specify "not in any palette". I think that of the four commands, that is the one I'd use least and I can tolerate a couple of extra button pushes for syntax that's somewhat consistent and makes sense.
    edited November 2006
    Ok good, it is a good reason, and a way of remembering what or how.

I'm totaly agree with this four syntaxes.

thanks for your patience