Separate DMX Channels

Hi,

I have really urgent question,

We have show tomorrow with 96 desk channels and there is one guy that should program the WholeHog by hemself, this guy is not a Hog or any intelligent light console guy, i try to learned hem how to program the desk channels and he understand thet but this guy can't understand how to program the Moving head. and the problam is that we swich 4 Fresnel fixtures to 4 Mac 600 cuz we don't have those.
My question is if i can "Separate" the Int DMX channel of the Macs?
What i want to do is to give the 4 Mac 600 default pos like the Fresnels and a default CTO Colour so the Mac act like a conventional light and the guy only need to give the Macs an Int but the guy don't want those Macs cuz he don't know how to operate them, he don't want to select them and start to play with them, he want them in a dask channels type.
For example: 1>90 dask channels, and 91>94 Mac 600 Int (91=Int channel of mac 600 #1, 92=Int Channel of Mac 600 #2.....)

Can i do that ???

I think about the concept of conventional console with faders that control on moving light, each channel is an independent channel so if Mac 600 #1 start from 1>14, the whole Mac is separate on faders 1>14.
There is an option in the Hog thet can control on individual address?, let say the Mac start from address 270, i can control only on adress 270? let say 270 @ Full to get full Int, and if i want to control on the yellow parameter and bring it to 85% i will do 277 (for example) @ 85.

I try to put them on HTP faders but he don't whant to press every time Live+Touch

Amir
Danix.co.il
Israel
  • Amir,

There are a few ways you could handle this. If you want to have individual control of each parameter as a numbered fixture, you could do that by patching a bunch of desk channels, but there are a number of problems with that:

1) It's very unweildy.
    2) Desk channels give you 0-100% control, not 0-255.
    3) 16-bit parameters become difficult to work with and crossfade resolution is lost.

I would patch the MACs as MACs and set the user numbers as 91 > 94. Then I would consider one of these options for controlling them:

1) Change the default values in the edit fixtures to put the MACs in the position, colour, and beam you want.

This option makes it rather difficult to change the default settings when you need to adjust them and it doesn't offer any guarantee that the operator won't change the parameters and write them into his cues.

2) Set the position, colour, and beam that you want and then record this to a sigle cuelist. This cuelist can be set as high priority if needed and could even be run as a virtual master that you could fire with your startup macro.

This would make it easier for you to adjust the positions if necessary and by running the cuelist as high priority you can ensure that his main list won't override any of the parameters that you've set. The disadvantages are that this list could be accidentally released and the operator can still override values using the programmer.

3) Set the position, colour, and beam that you want and then park the fixtures.

This will guarantee that these parameters won't be overridden, if that is important in this situation.

Even with the MACs patched as MACs, they can still be selected with desk channels and have their intensities adjusted together. When you select a combination of moving lights and conventionals (and even media servers), the intensity wheel will always be able to adjust the intensity of all selected fixtures, as will the first encoder of the Position and Intensity parameter pages (assuming, of course, that you haven't created a custom wheelset).

Creating HTP fader handles for individual fixtures is an option, but you are correct that you will need to touch or suck the intensity values before you record to your main cue stack. There currently isn't a way to just set a default to record the output state rather than the programmer contents.

I usually find that if I take the time to explain to a designer how much more flexibility the Wholehog 3 can offer over a conventional desk with lots of faders, that I can help them become comfortable with not having a handle for each fixture.

I hope this helps.
  • I was going to recommend the option 3 -> parking and setting user numbers just like Tom said... I would do it that way in that kind of situation. I feel it could be simpliest and safest way to do.
  • parking the features which are not in use is the best way!!!
    option 3
Related