Is Update reliable?

Just wanted to get some feedback about the Auto Update. I have had multiple fixtures in the programmer that need to update back into different cuelist. When I hit the Update button the popup window shows all the different cues that the fixtures will go to...how reliable is this? Is it just me, or does it seem that not everything goes where you want it to. What if the fixture is in more than one of the cuelist running, but the cuelist have different priority...does the edited fixture go to the higher priorty cue when updated?
Sometimes I edit so many fixtures at once, I can't remember if some of them are already in a cue or if they are new and don't have a cue for a home yet. What do you guys do to help keep up with where fixtures are going when you edit them?

Thanks,
  • I'm having mixed sucess with update. If I am in a cue and I adjust a paramter on a fixture that is getting a value from a pallette, and hit "Update," the modifed pallette is only sometimes available as a selection option in the "Update" pop-up. This behavior is inconsistant, and happens with multiple fixture types.

This seems to happen most common with beam parameters (shutters, zoom, etc) that have been recorded into postion pallettes (use P, use B)

[iPC, HIII mode, ver. 1.4.1]

Brendan Gray
  • Hey Scott. I just wanted to answer your question on how we handle autoupdate with multiple fixtures in the programmer and multiple cuelists onstage. You asked what happens if a fixture is in more than one of the cuelists running, but the cuelist have different priority, then which one gets updated? The answer is the higher priority list will always get updated because the lower priority cuelist is not technically controlling output at the time. For example, if you have a studio color at full in list 1 and that same studio color at 60% in list two. If both lists are being played back and list 1 has a higher priority, then as far as playback is concerned only list 1 is effecting stage output. So if you were to put that studio color at 50% in the programmer and then hit update, the higher priority list will be the only cuelist that is offered as an option to be updated. On the other hand, if you were to release the higher priority list and leave the lower priority list playing and then do the same thing, then the lower priority list will be listed as an option for an update since it is now controller the fixture's parameter onstage.

Also remember that when you get the option to update more than one cuelist it's only because parameters in the programmer are effecting parameters that are being controlled by playback on lists other than the currently chosen list. In other words, when you do an auto-update the console looks at all the bits and pieces that make up the current look onstage and tells you where those pieces of the puzzle are coming from. If those pieces are coming from somewhere else other than the currently chose master (list) then you will have the option to update those parameters on their respective lists. If you chose not update those lists, then those parameters don't get updated...anywhere! I hope this information is helpful.

Brendan, as far as updating palettes is concerned I will look into what might be causing this confusion. Are these global pallettes, per type pallettes or per fixture pallettes? There might be a conflict there that the Hog3 is not handling properly.
Related