Complete Beginner Setup Question?

spainpatspainpat Registered User
Ok Sorry I am a total Newbie here...I know flame away...haha

Anyway I am trying to setup a widget and programming wing using hog2pc on my computer...and I cant find where to configure the widget and the wing with Hog2pc so I can add my fixtures and start programming...any help would be appreciated...

thanks in advance

Comments

• Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited August 2006
    when you start Hog 2 pc,
    Right click on the blue panel with the faders and buttons.
    there should be a menu selection labeled Config...
    From there you will be able to select your widget, and any playback or programming wings.
    Have fun
    Joshua Wood
    Service Manager
    Ruehling Associates Inc.
  • spainpatspainpat Registered User
    edited August 2006
    Awesome thank you...I kept trying to do that on the very first screen and it wasnt working...now it makes sence..
    edited August 2006
    Now I cant get my fixtures to add and get them addressed...I promise these are the last questions I will ask?
  • erockerock Registered User
    edited August 2006
    Read thru the manual for the Hog 2, it gives really good step by step instructions on how to add fixtures, change user numbers and then patch them to outputs, it should answer all your questions
    Eric
    edited August 2006
    Yea thats weird I read through this whole thing and I didnt see anything telling me how to add fixtures...

Am I reading the wrong manual?

http://www.flyingpig.com/support/hog2/manuals/Hog2PC_handbook.pdf
    edited August 2006
    Nevermind I read the manual for the hog 2pc not for Hog 2...sorry I got it now...thanks
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited August 2006
    Patrick,

You've probably already figured this out, but here are the basics of patching:

Open the patch window by pressing the Setup button on the front panel, then press the Patch button on the main toolbar at the bottom of the right touch screen.

Press the Add Fixtures button at the top of the patch window.

Select a manufacturer from the left column of the fixture schedule and a fixture from the right.

Press the set button to enter text, type a quantity to add, and then press enter.

Press OK to close the fixture schedule.

Patch the fixtures using the syntax:
    fixture numbers @ dmx address
    for example,
    1 Thru 12 @ 1 Enter

Close the patch window by pressing the close button in the upper left corner.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
    edited August 2006
    I sort of figured it out...sorry about the simple questions...I have been using Martin Lightjockey for the last two years and it just address it for you...

So what if I wanted to patch say two fixtures that use 17 addresses...

Would the first one be

1 thru 17 @ 1 enter

then the second one

18 thru 35 @ 1 enter

I am a little confused as to how it works...

thanks for all the help so far I am slowly learning the program.
    edited August 2006
    Patrick,

I think you have it backwards.

The syntax uses the console's user number first, then the DMX address second.

So, if I have 8 fixtures numbered 1 through 8 and I want to patch them sequentially, starting at DMX address 251, the syntax would be:

1 Thru 8 @ 251 Enter

You shouldn't ever need to know how many DMX channels are used. All you need to specify is the starting address. The Hog will patch all of the fixtures, one after another, with no gaps in the sequence.

Does this make sense?
    edited August 2006
    Ahhh....now I get it...

so if I had four fixtures two were say Technobeams and two were Mac 250s would it still be

1 thru 4 @ (starting dmx address) enter

or would it be

1 thru 2 @ (starting dmx address) enter for the Technobeams

and

1 thru 2 @ (starting dmx address) enter for the Macs

but that makes alot of sense and it makes sense as to why I was having so many problems.
    edited August 2006
    You can patch them all at once using 1 thru 4, even if you have multiple fixture types. The patch will just happen in the order that you selected the fixtures. You could even say 1 + 3 + 4 + 2 @ 101 Enter. The only times you would need to patch in multiple steps are if you need to leave a gap of addresses between fixtures or if you need to span multiple universes.