Hog 1000 Defult Libary

Hi Guys, WE have a large Stock of the robe colorspot and wash At series and the current version of the software doen't have these fixtures in the libary. We can load the libary off a disc but being that the console lives in a hire department I would like to remove the reliance on floppy discs as much as possible. any thoughts? a few other hire companies were after this as well. Is there a program that we can edit the main libary? so we can remove the fixtures that we wont come into to contact much ect ect.
  • Michael,

I don't know that it's possible to do what you are asking.

Another great way to handle this is to build a standard library disk that includes all of the fixtures in your inventory (as well as any other common fixtures). The easiest way to do this is probably the Library Disk Generator on the Flying Pig web site...

www.flyingpig.com/hog2libgen/

Once you've built this disk, make a whole bunch of copies. Label the disks something like "Joe Schmo Lighting Company - Hog2/500/1000 Library Disk - Current to [Creation Date]". Each time you prep a desk to go out the door, put a fresh copy of your Library Disk in the road case. When the console comes back to the shop, take the library disk out of the box, and put it in a 'used' bin. Every once in a while, have someone re-burn all of the 'used' disks in the bin, then put them back in to circulation. (This is because you don't know if the person who had the disk re-saved to it.) If you really want to make it obvious, buy a box of yellow floppy disks and label them with laser printed disk labels.

If you add this simple step to your console prep sequence, you'll always have the fixture libraries available that you need.

Cheers,

Phil
  • I really Dont like Floppy Discs. I really would like the ability to use usb keys or cds ect ect. My history with floppy discs aren;t great. I was just hoping to eliminate that problem and the MAsters at high end should be listening to hte hire departments. I have a few other hire dapartments here in Melbourne Australia with the same issues.
  • [QUOTE=Mika_Aus]I really Dont like Floppy Discs. I really would like the ability to use usb keys or cds ect ect.

I'm sitting behind a pair of 1Ks right now, and I can completely commiserate with you. That being said, I am almost 100% sure that the hardware inside these boards doesn't come anywhere close to supporting USB keys.

While the consoles are 'supported' by HES/FPS, they have not been under development for quite a while now and will never see any upgrades of that sort.

If this is a true issue for you, I'd suggest you take a good look at the iPC. This offers all of the functionality you are looking for, with the option of programming on either the H2 or H3 platform.

Best Wishes,

Phil Gilbert
  • Michael,

Phil has done a great job providing you with the proper information. The Hog 500/1000 consoles are not scheduled to have any updates in software or hardware. You can prepare show files on Hog 2PC and load them into your console or start from a blank show with the newest libraries.

The current solution as Phil said is to use the Hog iPC console which is based on Hog 2PC and Hog 3PC. The libraries are updated periodically in both and you can save to USB devices.

Phil -> thanks to you too for answering so fast!

thanks,
  • The usb keys and the burning of cd is a goods is a good way but the feture that I am reaaly after is to edit the mster libary in the fixture. We have robe At series in the hire department and I haven't ever seen some of the fixtures in the list in Australia before. So I would like to remove some of them and keep the at series in the console. As I said before I really dont like floppy discs and when ever you really nedd them they fail. Brad is there any way I can fix this issue. I know that each hire company will like to do something like this and I know then each console isn't interchangable but I was going to leave the master libary on a floppy as I dont think it will be used as much. I dont think that you can fix the libary the way I am after it so I thought that there might be a software fix so I can download the libary form the website and then store it to the console? any thoughts?
  • Michael,

Unfortunately there is no current method for you to load new ROM libraries into the Wholehog 2 OS. The memory of the consoles is also quite limited so we can not really add more libraries either. Since the development is complete on the Wholehog 2 OS, you will not see any changes in the OS to allow the type of functionality you are looking for.

The Wholehog 2 OS consoles will remain at their current software version and all new libraries will need to be merged into show, or the shows created on Hog 2PC.

I understand the dilemma you have, but HES/FPS has decided to put all development into the current line of Wholehog 3 consoles.

thanks,
  • All that being said are their any plans for a hog 1000 replacement that will support usb and 2 universes?
  • Lee,

Your best option for a Hog 1000 replacement would be the Hog iPC. It supports USB and up to 8 universes (4 internal). The console will run either the Wholehog 2 or Wholehog 3 operating system.

I hope this helps.
  • So there is nothing that we can do. Is there any thing thaqt can be done. Is there a new release of the software that will just update the fixture libaries everything now and then. Or is it completely not supported now?
  • Michael,

As I stated in my previous post:
    The Wholehog 2 OS consoles will remain at their current software version and all new libraries will need to be merged into show, or the shows created on Hog 2PC.

The consoles are supported with their existing software, but there will be no further development. New and updated libraries are available via downloads or Hog 2PC.

This is why the Hog iPC is suggested as a replacement as it is based on the Hog 2PC and Hog 3PC platforms and the libraries of Hog 2PC are updated periodically.

thanks,
  • Is there still no update? Is there plans to release a new version where the software is the same but it has the new fixure libaries updated. ie the current robe libary is out of date and before you start I know I can download the libary to a disc and insert it everytime I need the fixture. Every time I need a fixture I dont have a disc that works. How hard is it to compile a new master libary?
  • Mike,

I want to be absolutely CLEAR now.

The Hog 2/500/1000/Echelon/Jands Hog series of consoles will NOT ever receive a different ROM library on board. Using the methods above, it is possible to build a master library that can then be put on disk.

Treat that disk like you would a power cable ('mains cable' in Australia?). Act as if the board would NOT run without that disk. Make sure one of these disks is ALWAYS with the console when it leaves the shop.

If for some reason, this is just...not...possible...

...buy an iPC

--

At some point in the lifespan of any piece of technology, development must stop.

This line of consoles is somewhere between one and two decades old, and was arguably the most popular line of lighting consoles made to date.

We all know that these desks will continue to be used for years to come with great results. That said, I know of a shop in Houston that still has a few Animators...but they don't expect Compulite to add libraries for a DL.2.

I think that there are reasonable expectations to be had in a few related areas.

When you buy a piece of technology like this...
    1) ...you expect the platform to withstand a normal set of physical rigors. These desks have.

2) ...you expect the platform to handle a certain amount of future technologies, not just current ones. This line of consoles is - amazingly - able to handle every DMX controlled device that I know of, including the latest high-channel-count media servers.

3) ...you expect the manufacturer to support the technology for a reasonable 'life-span'. This is where it really gets impressive, as HES is STILL adding value for their users, offering tools like the recently launched library downloader and their new user forums which include areas for these desks. Their support line will still answer calls on this discontinued line, and they will help to ensure that the newest technology can be used with these aging control products. (It's worth noting that Microsoft's standard support lifecycle is a mere 5 years from product introduction for the average user, with a maximum of ten years...if you pay extra)

--

I laid all of this out to make the point that HES is going (and has gone) above and beyond when it comes to supporting these products.

But there is a limit to what is reasonable (and in some cases, possible).

So, I would Encourage you, Mike, to look at how all of these tools can help you keep these desks in rotation, and work on a process for having that library disk available...because it's not only a great option, it's the best option.

...or buy an iPC.

--

Sincerely,

Phil Gilbert
  • I do keep a disc in there as if the console wont work with out it. I have about 2 copies of the disc in the case al all time as the floppy dives are a hassle and not any good. All I am asking is to have the ability to change the master libary that is in the console. If the console is not supported then why can I still buy new consoles form Jands??? Why cant there be a peice of software that when you load the disc form its floppy dive that it overrights the defult libary. That is all I am asking a way to delete that current "defult libary" and have the ability to update it. You guys must have a way as you make the console if the console in no longer supported then you should be able to release it with out a worry and it is no longer your issue. I do under stand that no compay will always support their product but I am not asking you ro re invent the wheel.:finger:
  • Well Mike,

I do appreciate that rather expressive emoticon. I guess my previous post came across as being a little more harsh than I intended, for which I apologize.

I do want to make clear that I do not speak officially for High End Systems or Jands. So, please don't hold any of my comments against them. I am merely trying to convey the information that I understand.

I was also unaware that Jands continues to manufacture new consoles in this line, and I would encourage you to contact them in regards to any consoles that are still under warranty.

I do not know the technical reason for this, but it has always been my understanding that making a user-selectable library for upload to the onboard ROM is not feasible.

I wish you the best for all of your future shows.

Sincerely,

Phil G. Gilbert

:notworthy:
  • Thanks for that. I am just annoyed that it should be a quick fix. Fair enough that it isn't supported but a software release with the same core just with the new libary isn't that big of a change is it? Isn't it just a recompile and then posting it on the net. The Martin Case is such an old console and you cant buy it any more and that is still a fully supported console looks like I will be selling the hog and moving away form all flying pig based products.
Related