FILTER WARN

Since uploading 1.2.2.864 onto my heads I now have 4 heads showing FILTER LIFE OUT ERROR and 2 heads showing FILTER SERVICE WARN.

Do these bad boys really need changing or can I ignore the warnings?
  • Odds are the filters really do need changing.

You can try cleaning the pre-filter first and see if that helps.

Scott
  • Just as a follow up...I took out the paper filters of my heads. They all look clean and white. I've put them all back in and now only one of the heads is showing a filter warning so I'll change that one on the next load in.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the differnce between FILTER LIFE OUT ERROR and FILTER SERVICE WARN?
  • David,

The FILTER SERVICE WARN means that the filters are getting close to the end of their life, but haven't quite reached it yet. If you are just getting ready to start a new gig with the DL.2s, that's probably a good time to change them.

The FILTER LIFE OUT ERROR means that the filters have reached the end of their life, and need to be changed ASAP. At this point, the filtering is no longer functional, so fog and other particle has the possibility to be sucked into the projector, which can cause serious damage to it.

As another note: There are two internal filters on the projector itself, and these are definately worth checking and cleaning. If you take off the bezel on the opposite side of the head from the HEPA filter (this should reveal a control board), you will see two small cutouts in the metal work. These are on the left side as you look at it from the back of the head. Just above those cutouts is a small flat tool mounted to the metal work with two screws. You can use this tool to pull two small filters out from those cutouts (one you will have to move the handle of the projector to get to). If these filters are dirty, they can cause the projector to run hot and filter warnings to occur prematurely. They can be cleaned using a bit of soap and water. Just make sure they are completely dry before reinserting them. Also, make sure that you replace the flat filter tool and screw it down tightly, otherwise it can rattle around in head. I've been guilty of this myself before :rolleyes:

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any more concerns.

Thanks,
  • Another day. I still have FILTER LIFE OUT ERRORS. I've changed the HEPA filter on the 2 worst heads despite the original filters looking spotless and still very white. I haven't washed the pre-filter as I don't have the time to keep the heads at floor level and I'm not putting them back in at 36ft! I did pull out the 2 internal filters but again they looked clean. Guess I'm going to have to put up with these warnings and the rest of the stupid crew telling me that I have filter warnings. Maybe I'll gaffer over the display! Anyway the tour is nearly over so thay can go back to the warehouse for investigation.
  • another suggestion is what happened to the DL1s in the past when this error would not go away. try doing the factory default reset on the projector, then the fixture reset. This did the trick on one of my pesky Dl1 units, after replacing all air filters and the warning for new hepa filter would still show up. atleast it is worth a try.
  • If all else fails and you know everything is as clean as you can get it....
    Black Gaff tape. :blackeye: Not much else ya can do.
    How long left on the tour?
  • David,

One more thing to check: Make sure that both blower fans are running in the head of the fixtures. If not, this can cause filter warnings/errors even though the filters are clean. There's a connector near each fan, and the plug where connect to the circuit board in the head. The plugs are at the top of the card, each with a solid red and solid blue wire.

If you can't get the filter to go away, instead of black gaff tape, you can turn off the display. There is a small row of 4 buttons to the right of the display (to the right if it is hanging). The button closest to the green LED is the power button for the LCD display. Hold that down for a second and the screen will turn off.
  • Well the tour is over and none of the heads turned themselves off due to filter warns. They've been on since day one and despite cleaning and changing things the warnings stayed on.

The black gaff thing was only a joke by the way!!

Just to add that I was running the DL's with the display set to off, but I believe the filter warn overrides this setting. Otherwise how would you ever know? The heads were generally very reliable and most problems were due to miss plugs on the cat 5's or bad connections with the s-video. I did have to change a graphic card, very easy...the only annoying thing with the DL's is the tilt lock. They are very, very fragile and you need to keep local crews away from them.

Love the CMA, being able to access the heads from the ground is great. If you use your own computer however be sure to turn all your firewalls back on before you go back onto the web!