Few requests

Hi,

I got few suggestions to make and hopefully I'm not repeating someone's requests all over again.

1) Could we have this command " Record Cue X Time X Enter "
Well, I felt that this way is much faster then recording a cue, then change the timing.

2) There used to a command " X @ Enter " to bring a channel to 0%. Why is it taken away? It save you a keystoke of having to push the 0 button. :D Just being lazy.

3) As for patching, if I'm working with house dimmers and there are dimmer that are labelled 791 (which is 2/279), I will have to do a lot of calculations just to convert them before I can patch them. :aiwebs_007: I hope to be able to patch without having to spend time on converting the numbers.

4) I feel that there should be an option to turn on/off the tracking for timings. Time tracking is useful but sometimes, it doesn't work especially on Theatrical shows. You get confuse over the actual timing of the next when you start changing the contents of cues or deleting them without tracking the changes forward.
  • Foxrider,

1) The syntax "Record Cue X Time Y Enter" has already been logged as enhancement #4215. I've added your comments to the feature request.

2) I don't remember a time when @ had been implemented as Out on the Hog 3. I know that ETC uses this syntax on at least some of their consoles. There is an Out button on the main toolbar and this is probably the easiest solution. It even saves you one more keystroke compared to @ .

3) I agree completely. I've opened enhancement #9667 for this idea and I've added your comments to the feature request.

4) I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. Time doesn't really track, per se. Since the value is never changing for a parameter that is tracking, there really isn't any timing information since a crossfade isn't happening. Can you give me an example of what you're talking about?

Thanks.
  • [quote=teerickson]
    2) I don't remember a time when @ had been implemented as Out on the Hog 3. I know that ETC uses this syntax on at least some of their consoles. There is an Out button on the main toolbar and this is probably the easiest solution. It even saves you one more keystroke compared to @ .

Actually Tom, when I first started on the console almost 4 years ago, there was @ to take intensity to 0. It took me a while to get used to doing @ 0 when it changed. I don't remember how long ago it was, but I know it used to be there.

As far as using , I find @ (or even @ 0 ) easier because my fingers don't leave the keypad and I don't have to look for which button is .

Just my two cents....:ninja:
  • Well, I'm slowly learning to cope with the fact that I don't know everything about the history of the Hog3.:sad2:

I did some digging through old defects and learned in bug #4835 that @ used to be syntax for Out, but it was removed because of user complaints.

I'd like to see if anyone else chimes in here with an opinion. I'm hesitant to request that this feature is added back in unless everyone really agrees that it was a mistake to remove it in the first place.
  • Just for my four cents (2+2)...

I'm fine without it. I have gotten used to it and had actually forgotten about it until it was brought up.

I could understand where some could mis-type and become frustrated when all of their fixtures turn off....
  • [quote=teerickson]

4) I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. Time doesn't really track, per se. Since the value is never changing for a parameter that is tracking, there really isn't any timing information since a crossfade isn't happening. Can you give me an example of what you're talking about?

Well, lets say I record Cue 1 with Ch 1 @ 50 and Ch 2 @ FL. I give the cue a fade time of 3 sec. In Cue 2 Ch 1 goes to FL in a time of 5 sec. I decided to delete Cue 1 with track forward disabled. Now Cue 2 will have a time of 5 and 3 sec, since Ch 2 has a 3 sec value for time from Cue 1. I hope I have painted out a simple but clear example.

Well as for @ enter, I agree with jxgriffi cos I also like to keep my fingers on the keypad when I'm working with intensity. I think the number of times when you will use @ enter is more than the number of times you will mis-type and hit undo to revert back. But then, it's still up to the rest of the community to vote for it. :dunno:

I also realise that when a fixture is unpatched, you can't use the gel picker and convert the value from Hue and Sat to CMY by touching the one of the CMY wheel. It only works when the fixture is patched. :confused:
  • Hello, I may not be understanding your first request correctly but before recording the cue, if you use the syntax, TIME X ENTER, the command line text will turn blue, then record the cue as normal. The cue will have the time represented by X in the syntax as it's fade time.

Mitch
  • Foxrider,

Now I understand what you're saying.

I can see how it might make sense both ways. Since you are basically collapsing parts of the tracking state into cue 2 some people may want to keep the existing timing that had been used while others may want to just force everything to use the base times of the existing cue where data is being merged.

I'll talk with some folks around here and see if we can come up with a syntax option or preference that would make it easy to control this.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • [quote=Mitch]Hello, I may not be understanding your first request correctly but before recording the cue, if you use the syntax, TIME X ENTER, the command line text will turn blue, then record the cue as normal. The cue will have the time represented by X in the syntax as it's fade time.

Mitch

That's something new for me. I'm not sure whether you guys are going to implement the command line " Record Cue X Time X enter " which I think is faster and simpler but I will use your method at the moment. Thank you. :D
  • [quote=teerickson]Foxrider,

Now I understand what you're saying.

I can see how it might make sense both ways. Since you are basically collapsing parts of the tracking state into cue 2 some people may want to keep the existing timing that had been used while others may want to just force everything to use the base times of the existing cue where data is being merged.

I'll talk with some folks around here and see if we can come up with a syntax option or preference that would make it easy to control this.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, you should keep the current way of how it works now because I find it useful too for different types of show. Just a option to turn it on or off will be good. Thanks. :cool:
  • If you want to use what Mitch suggest you need to make sure that none of your fixtures select in the programmer, if one of the fixture select, the Hog will give the time only to the selected fixture instead of the global cue time.
  • [quote=amir877]If you want to use what Mitch suggest you need to make sure that none of your fixtures select in the programmer, if one of the fixture select, the Hog will give the time only to the selected fixture instead of the global cue time.

Thanks Amir, point noted. :notworthy:
Related