Studio spot 250 shutter noise

djmattdjmatt Registered User
edited August 2008 in HES Automated Lighting
Hi,
I've got 10 spot 250s in my club and two them are making noise anytime the shutter is activated. In any kind of mode like shutter chases, or even when I DBO the system the shutters on these two lights will only partially close and will click rather loud. Is this something I can repair or will I need to have them teched out?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited July 2006
    Hi Matt,

You probably just need new stepper motors for your shutters. However, I would also check your set screws to make sure they are not loose first.

I've had lots of problems with the shutter motors on these fixtures over the years. They are just too close to the lamp and the heat does them in over time.:aiwebs_007:

Out of curiosity, how old are these fixtures?
  • djmattdjmatt Registered User
    edited July 2006
    thank you for the help. These fixtures have been in use at this club for justy under 5 years. Use is pretty heavy considering they are running from 11 am until 2 am. The noise started on the first one about 5 months ago and the other one started in the past week.

Would you, by any chance, have a link to a distributor who I would buy new motors from?

thanks again,
    Matt
    edited July 2006
    There are several companies that I deal with locally here in NY. There might be someone closer to you though. Where are you located?
  • djmattdjmatt Registered User
    edited July 2006
    Just outside downtown Dallas, TX.
    edited July 2006
    In that case, I'd suggest calling the good folks in Austin to refer you to a local dealer.

1-800-890-8989
  • leebotleebot Registered User
    edited July 2006
    Lightparts.com has some Great techs and has lots of parts in stock for you to fix it yourself. Located in Austin TX
    edited July 2006
    Yes, Don Pough and his crew are all excellent!
  • PuffyfishPuffyfish Registered User
    edited July 2006
    Truth be told, Don Pugh has forgotten more than most know! It's a fact.
    He is a Master tech and lamp wizard.:headbang:

I'd check the rubber covers over the stops, if they ride up they will start clanking. I get my new ones at NAPA auto parts. Common in SS-250's and Technobeam. Cost ya about 50 cents. Use the hi-temp rubber.:D
  • bcarterbcarter Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a good way to get the mounting swrews out of the shutter motors? I have had to drill out the screws on two of them. My right angle screwdriver didn't work. The rear chassis and plate are riveted in place so you can't remove them to get a straight shot with a regular screwdriver.
  • bcarterbcarter Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Chris had this to say:

You need to remove the reflector assembly and the fan plate #7 in this drawing:

http://www.highend.com/support/automated%5Fluminaires/series250%5Fviews/series575_ed18.asp

Thanks man!