Youngest Hog 3 User?

djollie029djollie029 Registered User
Hello everyone, i am brand new to this forum. I am 15 and my name is Ollie. I got very interested in Lighting whilst in a production at a large theatre. Since then i have attended plasa anually aswell as visiting the BBC and ITV television studios to see what they do.

In 2004 thanks to Chris Ferrante @ Flying Pig/Highend i was invited to go down to Flying Pig's London Office and train on the newly released hog 3. I have now visited FPS London many many times and have a vast knowledge of the system and programming. Also last year i was asked by my school to tech the Lighting on the musical 'Chess' Chris kindly lent me the Hog ipc for the week to try out at my school.

Really i suppose i wanted to find out if i am indeed the youngest Hog user, but also i would love to hear from anyone who can guide me on to where to go after i leave school this year. I would really love to join a company and get trained in Lighting first hand rather than study it somewhere. Can anyone help me.

Also attached is a pic of the hog ipc console in my front room.

Thanks for reading. Ollie - 15yrs

Comments

• z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited June 2006
    Ollie,

Well done on your early entry to the field. I would say that if you are not the youngest, you are certainly one of the most self-driven young men out there.

I think that Brad's son was learning to program on a Hog 2 when he was three, so he's probably moved on to a H3 by now, but that's an extreme case. :18:

Keep up the good work!

Phil
  • djollie029djollie029 Registered User
    edited June 2006
    :hogsign: Thanks very much for your kind reply z6p6tist6, would anyone consider taking me on in the Summer Holidays for experience, only it is very hard to get anywhere with a comapny for all the h&s reasons.

Thanks Again.
    Ollie
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2006
    Ollie,

I am thrilled to see that you are so enthused about the Wholehog 3. You very well could be one of the youngest users. Phil is correct however that my son has been involved with programming since he was about 2. He was fortunate enough to get to learn on the first Wholehog 3 console (pre-release) in the United States many years back.

More recently he programmed a test routine for the first round of Hog iPCs every produced last year, programs our Halloween party every year on a Hog 500, and also used a beta version of Hog 3PC for a Scouting event in February. All this, and he just turned 9.

He has been fortunate to have a well connected father and in fact he even has run some lights at two Metallica concerts.

Again I am very happy to see that you have found your way into lighting and wish you well with your career. Please send me an email with your shipping address and I will be happy to send you some Wholehog 3 swag.

brad_schiller (at) highend.com

thanks,
  • dijistudiosdijistudios Registered User
    edited June 2006
    Hi!
    When I was 10, I went on a cruise and first learned to ues the Hog 500 and the Whole Hog 2 along with the obsession 2. I also picked up how to program ETC and Wholehogs quite quickly. In fact, the cruise ship Voyager of the Seas by Roayl Carribean has some of my programming on it in the Viking Crown Lounge (4 Roboscan 918's, multiple source 4's with color scrollers, a hog 500). I am now 16, am purchasing a 20'x20' trussing system with 10 Mac 250 Entours, 8 Roboscan 918's, and a JBL audio system all for flying. I plan on using the hog3 iPc for the lighting grid as I will be leasing to local production companies to run their lighting. I had to reply to this as i think i was one of the youngest ETC Expression 3 programmers. I learned to program it when i was 7 on a cruise (ive gone on about 17 now, this is how i got into lighting in the first place).

So yeah, im going to need to find some place for storage soon :)

Matt
  • lightkidlightkid Registered User
    edited June 2006
    Hey Olli,

I started with that lighting stuff at the age of 10 - thats now 9 years ago. I programmed my first show on a hog1k with the age of 12 - and this was when I started to learn wysiwyg too. One year later came the Hog2, in 2003, I think, I started with the Hog3, which is now my prefered console when doing gigs.
    But still I like the Hog2 very much! :-)

Unfortunately my work concentrates more on WYSIWYG than on the Hog's but that's how it can go... ;)
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2006
    This thread reminds me how time flies :) When I was ten, first Vari-lite was born and I knew nothing about lighting...:dunce:
  • bassmanbassman Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Well I seen youngsters being envolved in programming of Wholle Hog II, one was 9 years old I showed him one PC console it took him 1 hour to program it, and when he saw Whole hog II he was hooked. As they grow up, and to day they are great programmers in all Whole Hogs.
    It looks like Brads son is the youngest one .....I think I am the oldest I know most of console programmers and never saw nobody ollder than me.....I spend 3 days in H.E.S. building in Austin TX and I did not see nobody not even close to my age . I started when DMX did not exist it was Protocol only.........Well I look much younger than my actually age....:D :D :D I started before DMX was envented.
  • Socal_QSocal_Q Registered User
    edited May 2008
    As far as i know you are the youngest hog3 user on high end systems... I am 17 and my church is building new facility for high schoolers (i am cuttently running ETC express) and this is what got me started b/c we are going to use a roadhog to control an assorment of moving heads, LED's and scrollers. And in responce to your "what next" question... get plugged into a local church that is of larger size and chances are that one of the venues has a console that you can toy around with. the plus side is that it gives you a lot of creative freedom because they usually are just happy enough just that you are there. you'll move up the line =)
    :hogsign:
  • StrandManStrandMan Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Im Connor,13 and am very intrested in lighting but not with hog but strand 500series at my local playhouse and downloaded hog 3pc 2 weeks ago with ESP vision
    :hogsign:
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Connor,

That's great that you're getting such a young start on professional equipment and that you're actively pursuing other ways to learn independently.

(Though I'd probably keep a check on 'colorful' language when you're searching out your first internship.)

Cheers,

Phil
  • StrandManStrandMan Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Sorry everyone about one of my previous posts on the thread but was just so excited and well i was that so i typed anything but Djollie i take it back and if anyone would help me in getting started in the lighting world i have small experiences of a strand 500 programing a few shows at the Harlow Playhouse but i really love hog and would love a console but no cash so ill have to stick with the PC and ESP but other than that sorry

P.S would anyone have some summer work for a 14 year old in the summer for the Essex area England, Plus Deleted bad post
    :hogsign::hogsign::hogsign:
  • rosswillrosswill Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2008
    Youngest RoadHog user?
  • djollie029djollie029 Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Thats great, Very Good!
    edited July 2008
    rosswill said:
    Youngest RoadHog user?
    too bad... and i thought it might be me... altough i might be the youngest road hog full boar owner :)
  • ahelgorahelgor Registered User
    edited July 2008
    -don't you meen road hog full boar WiNNER? ;)
    edited July 2008
    that as well :)
  • Socal_QSocal_Q Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Jeez you won a Road Hog Full Boar. Soo lucky.

Well what about legitimate users that can program shows and run an event. I know there are 2 and 3 year-olds that can select fixtures and move them and a 8 year-old who has programmed shows before. So far we have Connor 14, Ollie 15, Me 17, and Dennis 19. Any one else out there?
  • snowmansnowman Registered User
    edited July 2008
    im 14 and i use hog3pc for the local church regularly, so im not as young as Connor :mad: almost 15
    BUT STILL DEAD KEAN ON PROFESSIONAL LIGHTING
    :hogsign: :hogsign:
  • gwcwc3pogwcwc3po Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Well Im not a "Full" hog 3 programmer...! But I'm 16 and I'm programming Dl.2 and Dl.3 In Quebec Canada!
  • TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited July 2008
    Strand man at least you can make the stupid strand consoles work. I originally learned on a mini light pallete, but after learning hog i have forgot even that. Me and strand syntax has never gotten along until reciently a guy from strand showed me some new toys, but then Hog III came out :D.
  • hdmcchdmcc Registered User
    edited August 2008
    im 18 and a fluid hog1k user and im trying to get my boss to let me hire a hog 3 or roadhog for one of our bigger shows, no luck yet though :(
  • but0017but0017 Registered User
    edited September 2008
    Im 16 and currently live in Australia, as australias lighting industry is not as big as Americas it is quite hard to get your hands on the Hog3. I managed to run the Hog3 when i was 15, along with 16 moving lights.
    edited September 2008
    How did you get your hands on it then?
    edited September 2008
    snowman,
    edited September 2008
    snowman, it was on a school show and as i wasnt paying for the gear to hire we had the budget to hire one which was good
    edited September 2008
    ...all we have is a basic hog3pc setup, which works, but because we just dont have enough money - its a permanent setup so we have to buy everything - im stuck with that and 4 highend studio colors
    edited September 2008
    yeah thats the negative of permanent installs you actually need to pay for your gear at full price, well as ours wasnt permanent we had the budget to get alot more and we ran the Hog3PC with the programming and playback wings, we used 12 Robe Colourspot 575AT spots and 4 Robe Colourspot 170AT spots.
    edited September 2008
    alright, alright, no need to rub it in......lol kidding
    yeah that is a downside; at least when its a special occasion we get a whole lot more stuff in
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited March 2009
    djollie029;8931 said:
    Hello everyone, i am brand new to this forum. I am 15 and my name is Ollie. I got very interested in Lighting whilst in a production at a large theatre. Since then i have attended plasa anually aswell as visiting the BBC and ITV television studios to see what they do.

In 2004 thanks to Chris Ferrante @ Flying Pig/Highend i was invited to go down to Flying Pig's London Office and train on the newly released hog 3. I have now visited FPS London many many times and have a vast knowledge of the system and programming. Also last year i was asked by my school to tech the Lighting on the musical 'Chess' Chris kindly lent me the Hog ipc for the week to try out at my school.

Really i suppose i wanted to find out if i am indeed the youngest Hog user, but also i would love to hear from anyone who can guide me on to where to go after i leave school this year. I would really love to join a company and get trained in Lighting first hand rather than study it somewhere. Can anyone help me.

Also attached is a pic of the hog ipc console in my front room.

Thanks for reading. Ollie - 15yrs

Ollie, I only just found this thread. I also started on the Hog 3 just before my 16th birthday.. all down to Brad Schiller at PLASA. Well I am in the north of the UK in liverpool, but hope to move to London soon to persue a professional programming career. PM me if you want to chat, it seems we have alot in common! :friday:. Out of interest, which LDs and programmers did you meet at the BBC and ITV? I know a few and they have been greate to me too!
    edited March 2009
    Socal_Q;27820 said:
    Jeez you won a Road Hog Full Boar. Soo lucky.

Well what about legitimate users that can program shows and run an event. I know there are 2 and 3 year-olds that can select fixtures and move them and a 8 year-old who has programmed shows before. So far we have Connor 14, Ollie 15, Me 17, and Dennis 19. Any one else out there?

Me, 16 now, first started lighting at 10ish. Started H3 at 15, now 16!
    edited March 2009
    Mike Hanson of our LA office has told me of a 10 year old that has taken the classes and regularly programs at a church!
  • coryedwardscoryedwards Registered User
    edited October 2009
    I started designing lighting shows for my elementary school when I was 7 on some desk I can't remember haha. I had also been designing for my church on an ETC Express. Then when i was 12 I got my hands on a grandMA :O I had been using that till 1 year ago when the new TD at my church made me use a Hog 3, and I've been hooked ever since, and I'm 15!
  • etchighend828etchighend828 Registered User
    edited May 2010
    Let's see...in 2006 I would have been about 12 years old, and just staring starting learning on the Hog 3. I had been working with LightJockey normally at my church since I was about 6, however, it just wasn't doing the job. This past Christmas we received a Road Hog. I've been going strong and actually do free-lance work now. I have done such things as "JFest", a Christian music festival featuring the top artist of a particular radio station. I can't tell you how much it excites me to see someone else who is in the same boat I am. I love it. I hate the always lingering "if I go up and talk to the LD at some big show...they're just gonna think I'm some dork kid." Mainly because it's happened before. This encourages me.
    edited May 2010
    Reid,

you said "...they're just gonna think I'm some dork kid."

Yes this can happen, but only with people that are jerks. Most professionals are very happy to share some knowledge with those that are truly interested in learning. The key though is to make sure that you ask them at the right time (not just before the show starts for example). Also explain right away that you are involved and interested in lighting. Many times when on the road, audience members ask lighting guys about the band, how to get backstage, to adjust the audio, etc. This is when LDs tend to get snotty...

so be polite and explain why you are talking to them first thing...

This industry is a great place with wonderful people.
    edited May 2010
    bradpepe;47214 said:

This industry is a great place with wonderful people.
    Reid,

The quoted sentence above is actually from a very wonderful industry guru! I highly advise you buy his book(s). :)

Happy Programming :)
  • Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited May 2010
    As Brad said, how you approach someone makes a big difference. I find that asking an intelligent and relevant question is a good way to start. Find something unique or interesting about the show and ask about that.

Also, don't be offended if they don't have time to talk. It doesn't necessarily mean they're a jerk, they may just be busy. Don't take it personally. You'll find many techs are rather gregarious and love to talk shop.
  • etchighend828etchighend828 Registered User
    edited May 2010
    ericthegeek;47220 said:
    As Brad said, how you approach someone makes a big difference. I find that asking an intelligent and relevant question is a good way to start. Find something unique or interesting about the show and ask about that.

Also, don't be offended if they don't have time to talk. It doesn't necessarily mean they're a jerk, they may just be busy. Don't take it personally. You'll find many techs are rather gregarious and love to talk shop.

After reading this, I very much agree and thanks for the advice. My father told me to make myself clear :) in giving dsome more background. I suppose the biggest thing is just the fear of doing something stupid. Anyway, my dad is the technical director for the church that I work for (5,000 members abbashouse.com) so that has allowed me to play with some pretty fun toys. :) WE have several touring shows come in year round. Such as Michael W. Smith, Big Daddy Weave, Salvador and Steven Curtis Chapman. And every time I am the House LD. All of those guys have always said "How old are you?" And then said "You're a big help." I guess it's cause they don't expect me to know what socopex is. :)
    But I agree with the "..if they don't have time to talk." As I said, I've done several large shows and in almost all of them... RIGHT after the show ends I get the "How many DMX channels are you using?" question. And everytime it's been..."A lot" ;) But I'd love to actually get more involed and noticed around the community. I recall the last time I really wanted to do that was at a TSO concert. I watched the Hog more than the show. Next time I will just ask. :)
    Joe Bleasdale;47218 said:
    Reid,

The quoted sentence above is actually from a very wonderful industry guru! I highly advise you buy his book(s). :)

Happy Programming :)

I will DEFFINATLY do that. :)
    edited May 2010
    etchighend828;47268 said:

I recall the last time I really wanted to do that was at a TSO concert. I watched the Hog more than the show.
    Ohh no, do NOT mention TSO ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgf60CI_ks&feature=related

:)
  • Meh 626Meh 626 Registered User
    edited May 2010
    EDIT: Opps, didn't realise this thread started over four years ago....
  • leebotleebot Registered User
    edited May 2010
    I thought the TSO rolls were only allowed on the Lightnetwork. There is something scary about a moderator posting TSO rolls.
    edited May 2010
    Reid,

FYI:
    The LD's at TSO (either Dan Cessar or Bryan Hartley depending where you are) are both very open and friendly with any lighting people (or anyone else) that comes up to them before or after the show. You can talk to them with ease...