CD timecode with Hog 3

Hi, I would like to know why there are 2 seconds of difference between the CD built inside and the LTC or MIDI timecode? when I use the cd to trigger cues in my shows and after I transpose the same timing on a MIDI timecode or a LTC timecode or a Simulate timecode, I find a latency about two seconds. note that the audio files on the CD and MIDI timecode and LTC time code is the same!!!! I think it's 'cause the CD fisical time to initialize the disk and then to read from the first track. It's possible to reduce this latency, without use a pc to read a wave track and the internal simulate Timecode to syncronize with the pc? It's very heavy!!!!!!!
  • The hog3 is not actually reading timecode off of an audio track on the CD (try putting in any ol audio cd and see what happens). It is using the time base embedded on every audio CD. This is probably why you're seeing this offset.
  • Paco,

Jason is correct. The Hog3 CD drive doesn't actually read timecode off of the CD, it will work with any audio CD and it should be produce consistent and repeatable results.

For a good discussion about how it works, take a look at this thread:
    forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=478
  • thanks a lot.I supposed that Hog 3 was not able to perform timecode by his built in CD, and now I'm sure.
    but I think it's unthinkable that Hog 3 use an USB widget for LTC Timecode and his built in CD is not able to performe Timecode. If you are building a show off line and you need to build it using Timecode and you have not an USB widget for LTC timecode, your only way to build your show is trying to start together a wave track by a PC and the internal simulate timecode? :aargh4::aargh4: try to build a show with a 60 minutes wave tracks. in my last show I had to program lights and water fountains controlled by inverter!!!! and after I recorded the cue list in a ENTTEC DMX streamer, but the music starts from a CD using the cue list first memory. two nights to syncronize audio and lights and water just using my pc and simulate timecode:aargh4::aargh4:. ok waiting for news about timecode generated from built in CD, thanks a lot.
    Programming with an HOG 3 it's the best, in any case!!!
  • Some thing I use from time to time when programming SMPTE shows is the program "Acid" and a Midisport 1x1. Acid outputs Midi Timecode (as many other audio programs do) and the console will take that directly without any USB widgets or nodes. It is a cheaper alternative to using the widget.
  • thanks jason. I use to work with wavelab that generate timecode too, I'll try to work connecting PC and a Motu sound card with Hog for the next show. thank you again
  • Paco,

One thing that may be useful for you that isn't in the current manual is this:

You can offset the timecode values for an entire block of cues at one time.
    In the cuelist window, click and drag over the wait column for the cues you want to adjust.
    Press Set.
    Enter the new correct value for the cue that is being edited.
    The console will calculate the offset and apply this change to all of the selected cells.

I hope this helps.
  • Tom,

Since finding out that the timecode 'shift' functionality does actually exist, I have not thought to play with it.

The one problem with shifting on the Hog 2 is that timecode in the Duration column of a Link cue (i.e. exit TC for a loop) would not be shifted with all of the timecode in the Wait column.

Does the exit TC for a loop on the H3 have to be manually updated after a timecode shift, or does the console know to shift these exit points as well?

PG

PS - If the answer is no, any chance of getting a Feature Request for this?
  • Hi Tom.
    I worked like PACO in a show and i have seen timecode from hog3 CD
    player go slowely respect other audio reader.
    I don't know if this problem my hog3 only.
    When is possible i will check with other hog3 in order to have more info.
    This problem not appeare using TIMECODE SIMULATION.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roberto Novelli
    Supporto tecnico
    roberto_novelli@ianiro.com

helpdesk : ianiro@ianiro.com
    www.ianiro.com
    Sede principale/Head Office : Via Ragusa, 5
    Logistica/Logistics : Via Ragusa, 3
    00040 Pavona (Roma)- ITALY
    +39 06 9310198 ra tel
    +39 06 93162162 fax
  • Roberto,

Can you give me some details about the problems you're having?
    Are the timecode values actually running slow when timed with a stopwatch?
    Have you tried timing the playback of cues?
    You could try writing a cuelist with a cue at 60 seconds. Start your CD at 0 and time to see how long it is until the cue runs.
  • Hi Roberto,

Europe championship, very nice game for you country !

greeting

Sorry Steph...
  • Hi Tom,i'm sorry but i'm working very strong at the moment,:mad:
    and my hog3 is working in the show.
    I'm arranging technical service for my customer together
    Chris Ferrante and i will meet chris just after tomorrow.:p
    We will have very good discussion and i let you know in the forum
    about test makes.:trink26:

i will check CD timecode and i know the problem have seen PACO about
    2 secs delayed from start CD timecode.i have solve how do you spoke in this thread and working fine.we must check because go slowely respectly other CD writer,but i repeat could be problem my hog3 only...

@ Tom
    "Have you tried timing the playback of cues?
    You could try writing a cuelist with a cue at 60 seconds. Start your CD at 0 and time to see how long it is until the cue runs."
    Yes i have checked with cuelist

yes Tom i check with cuelist and timecode list in the cue.
    in the first cue was macro PLAY CD.

I go playback in the hog3 and simoultanuosly play same audio trace in different CD professional reader like TASCAM.
    after 40/50 secs CD hog3 is delayed back 1/1,5 secs

this is check i will do in other hog3 when is possible.

i think this is velocity cd rom problem not timecode problem...
    will see...
    bye

roberto novelli

@ amir877:trink26:
    do you have drink free o charge...:friday:

bye
  • hi guys, I solved buying a little USB/MIDI interfrace that I connect to my pc. in this way I'm be able to send a midi timecode to my show without latency and without troubleshootings.
    hi roberto I's first time I ear about a player that plays slower than other audio reader. I think it's a driver problem!!
    paco
Related