Upgrade Memory of the console

Is there anyone who tried to upgrade the memory from the standard 256Mb to more and if so is it making the console faster or slower.
  • I doubt you would see any noticable performance increase by adding memory. Based on the performance profiling that I've seen, it's pretty unusual that the memory is a bottleneck.

Keep in mind, that this kind of change to your console would be at your own risk and that we wouldn't be able to support problems that it could cause.
  • That's a complicated question. The short answer is no, but let me explain a bit so you can understand how things work.

The graphics processors in the Wholehog 3 have on-board memory, so they do not use any of the physical RAM for their processing. All of the buffering that is done by the GPUs is done using their video memory.

The desktop process is responsible for most of the Wholehog user interface and does most of the drawing of objects on the screen. This process does use the physical RAM for it's processing, just like all of the other processes do.

It seems like you may be thinking that adding memory will improve graphics performance. As I said above, I don't think you will notice any performance change if you add memory to your Hog 3.

Just so you know, we are currently working on improving display performance. Our last few releases have been focused on improving performance and stability, including improved response of both flash buttons and intensity faders. We understand how important speed is to our users and we're looking into ways to make the console even faster.
  • And I will second Tom because I've been working with the developer and Brad on it, >> they are working real hard to give us what we need in the way of speed, just a bit longer and it will be there. remember the things the H2 would and would not do for years.

Robin
    Designer/ Programmer
  • You may want to take a look at this old discussion on the LightNetwork:

www.lightnetwork.com/messages.php?msg=14093.1

Nich Archdale, the hardware designer and engineer for the Wholehog console range, responded to a similar question. In addition to mentioning that memory isn't a bottleneck for the console, he also commented that due to limitations with the Motorola MPC107 north bridge, 2 DIMMS would be clocked slower than just one (66Mhz vs. 100Mhz).
  • Robin,

This was probably the fastest chip that the original designers could specify when the console hardware was being designed. The Wholehog 3 has been on the market for a number of years now. The hardware was probably specified years before that, considering the amount of software development that was done before that.

Remember that Moore's law (as in Intel founder Gordon Moore) states that computing power roughly doubles every 18 months. I wasn't involved with the original development of the Hog 3, but I would think that the designer specified the best chip that was available at the time.
  • This is why there are so much problems, we use a software in the present on a fixed hardware system, thought there is more than 5 years! There is a logical error, the hardware part should never be fixed as much.
  • Steph,

As far as I know, there isn't a motherboard in existence that would allow you to change out the north bridge. Changing components like this would require changing the entire motherboard. Because of our special needs (space inside the console, 4 monitors, etc.) I doubt we could use a typical retail motherboard.

We also need to consider that unless we plan on providing hardware upgrades for every existing console in the field, our software would need to support both new hardware and old hardware. We wouldn't be able to write software that exceeded the capabilities of the existing hardware unless we made sure that every console was upgraded.

As I mentioned above, we are working on a number of things that should increase performance, but I think it's unrealistic to hope for a console with easily field-upgradable board-level components.
  • But if new hardware could move everything fast forward,(a faster chip up dated board ) would not the software work on the say a mark 1 Hog 3 the same as the mark 2 updated move to the second stage Hog 3 and just help cut down hours of developement ( the software is writen thats the big bit, right or am I off corse .
  • Robin,

Updating hardware requires development of a custom motherboard with specific requirements: supports four displays, 2 being internal touchscreens, very tight formfactor, low profile, no fans, Midi, etc.

While a regular PC motherboard can be picked up for around $100 due to the enormous volumes they are produced at, custom motherboards in low volume like this cost in the thousands. Not to mention the enormous development time required.

At the end of the day, it still doesn't solve the problem unless the users are willing to buy the hardware upgrades. The fact that there are numerous of the existing consoles out there means we still have to support them, while the new hardware would run faster it means that we still have to develop software to run based on the older hardware that exists in the field.

The point is, that we are doing everything we can to improve performance to the best it can be without *forcing* the users to replace expensive hardware in the console. Isn't that what you guys would expect of us?

At some point there will be updated hardware when parts go end of life and of course when that re-design happens we'll put in the best hardware we can find and hopefully include an upgrade path for users wishing to invest in their console. In the mean time, we're going to continue working to improve the performance of the software as we have been.
  • Scott,

All that users buy the must expensive console, i don't think they have a problem to pay for the upgrade to make it better.
    I don't know If the console do all that problems because of this, but if it does, and if you know that replace that part will solve almost every thing so way not forceing that users to upgrade? im sure all of them will be glad to do that. im sure after 2 months all the existing console in the world will be upgrade, everybody want to make is Hog better. if you have a chance to do that now when the console still in the beginning of it developement, so why not, make it better.

Equipe the Hog with the current technology , not 10 years technology .

Amir
  • If it would fix the slowness I would buy a new part this afternoon and refresh away for the next 5 years.,

RD
  • My opinion is a little different from you.

The user is not paying the counter value though Wholehog2 has improved hardware up to now.

Wholehog2 and Wholehog3 are different things.
    However, not changing hardware has the following advantages.

1)You can execute the made show with all hardware.
    Therefore, it is not necessary to worry in other countries. (Even if you do the console in the rental)

2)There is not worrying about the occurring bug because of the difference of hardware.
    If two or more hardware exists, it makes it to each software.
    As a result, the bug that will exist increases, too.

3)You should not confirm whether all hardware all over the world has been renewed.
    There is no method of hardware's all over the world confirming whether the up-grade is done.

I wish to express my gratitude for your having read to the last minute.
    Regards,

Akito
Related