V3.17 Update Palette Issue

I’m having a problem with updating palettes. If I make a change with a fixture and then “Update” the change doesn’t get recorded. However, if I make a change and then “Merge” the change into the palette, the change gets recorded.
  • What is your default masking behavior, destination palette mask, and parameter you to which you seek to record?
  • Can you possibly describe the exact syntax you are using?

Update is a little special, in that update will only update information that was already in the palette.

For example, you make a palette with gobo1 information. you [RECORD] it to your cue, you play the cue back and realize the zoom and focus information is not correct, so you select the fixture, change the gobo, zoom, and focus, and press [UPDATE], selecting the cue and the palette. Since Zoom and Focus were not in the cue or pallete, the gobo 1 information would update, but zoom in focus will not. for this example [MERGE] might be the better option to choose.

Record makes new objects
    Merge adds information to existing objects
    Update, changes information for existing objects
    Move, moves objects
    Copy, copies objects
    Delete, deletes objects
  • Thanks for your detailed reply Noah. Just so you know I’ve been using Hogs since the mid 90’s, so I’m aware how to Programme the desk.
    If I have information in a palette and use a IPCB mask to store everything I need from the fixture in that palette, I then store that information into a cue. When I make a change to a fixture I normally press Update and then deselect Cue and select Palette Enter, the change normally takes affect. At the moment when I press clear the light returns to where it was before the change. The only way I can get the change to stay is to use Merge with the mask into the palette.
    But, at the moment it seems to be a problem when I’m updating any information which includes Intensity.
  • What is your default masking behavior, destination palette mask, and parameter you to which you seek to record?

In my position palette, I keep P selected at the top of the position directory but use IPCB where I need to record that information into the palette. If I merge information into that palette, I select IPCB where appropriate to update that information into that particular palette. During a show, if I make a change all I normally do is press update and in the dialogue box, deselect Cue and select Palette Enter and Clear.
  • This is so frustrating but I’ve sussed the problem here, we now have to move the auto update window to view the kind mask window, select the mask and then update. This is a ridiculous update, to have to move the Auto Update window to see the Kind Mask window is driving me potty.
  • Not sure what you are encountering, here, it might be best to see it visually, can you send video via email to HESservice@etcconnect.com? or post a link to a video here?
  • I’ve been talking to Colin about this and I believe he’s going to write to Sarah as this is a daft update.
    If you press update on a Full Boar you need to move the Auto Update window to see the Kind Mask window. It’s driving me nuts during a busy programming day. I have to move the Auto Update window everytime I want to do an update.
  • This needs a serious look at in my opinion. In addition to the irritation of the auto update window covering the mask menu in cases where the size of this is expanded by multiple user kinds, the new masking behaviour (whilst I appreciate it now falls in line with the established masking rules for additive and subtractive), doesn't sit nicely with update. The mask is already specified when the palette is first stored, and for as long as I can remember, when updating that palette the mask has been defined by the content of the palette which is being updated, which worked very well and needed no intervention. The only issue was that Off effect values were being added to palettes when they weren't present originally. In certain circumstances this caused chaos as I've mentioned in depth in past communications with Chris M about this. I feel as though the change just needed to stop the effect values being masked in with update when they weren't present before, but everything else worked well. If a palette had IPCB values in it, and those were changed in the programmer then they could be updated straight away without once again having to specify the mask. The need to now do this slows down the workflow and goes against the way everyone has been using update for years.