Smpte Jumping

I seem to be having a problem with Smpte on the console.

I am currenty using the little Blue smpte input box that goes into a usb port.

When I start show Smpte at 01/00/00.00 the input will read correct time. The current will jump to a random time for a brief second then jump back to and track correctly. It will do this everytime but every time it jumps to a random time dispite where smpte was stopped at.

It will do this every time I start smpte and the real problem is all the cue list that are enabled will jump to a cue in the show then jump back to the top where it is suppost to be. This is only happening on the start of smpte

The show is running 29.95 non drop. I tried changing the level of the smpte input with the shaper we have on it. That did not seem to have an effect on this problem. I also I changed regen to 0.

Any ideas why it is doing this? It makes for an ugly show start.

Doug :confused: :1zhelp:
  • Make sure both options in the timecode device setup are set to zero. If problems still persist - in your timecode'd cuelist, in the options, toggle on "Track Forwards Only".

Another test is to disable SMPTE on your reshaper (set it to the slave input or something) and then start the show. Once timecode is rolling, click over the reshaper onto master input and then see if you have the same response. If it works okay, then there is some gobblygooky timecode bit that is being sent out right at start.
  • Doug,

Jason offered some great options. The only additional thing I'm wondering is if it would be possible for you to try running SMPTE directly into your console and bypassing the shaper.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks.
  • Hi Doug,

This is not an unheard of issue. It is caused primarily by the fact that on input as you see, the current jumps to a spurious bit of timecode. Once it settles down all runs well.

Jason's tip about setting jump after frames to 0 will help as it will allow the console to sync the input and Current that little bit faster.

On the other hand, having trigger forwards only on, will probably not help, as once the cuelist has jumped to the spurious timecode mark it will be unable to jump back.

If after you have adjusted the Jump after frames setting to 0 you are still seeing these issues, the best way to work around this at present, is to enusre that you have a couple of secs roll in on your timecode input. Ensure that Enable timecode in your list is turned off. Now once the input and current sync (about a sec) enable timecode and all should run fine. Of course you can automate this by using enable and disable timecode macros.

Cheers

Chris
  • Hey guys,

I changed the Jump after frames to 0 as Jason suggested and that did the trick. I did this first so I never tried to go direct to the board and bypass the shaper. I did try adjusting the level that had no effect. So all is well now, I didn't fully understand what the jump after frames did so I never adjusted it before. Thanks for the great responses, you guys rock.
    :headbang: :notworthy:

Doug :hogsign:
  • Doug,

I'm glad to hear you have everything working.

Jump After Frames has an effect when the console receives a timecode value that is different than what it expects. If timecode jumps to a different time, the console will wait this number of frames and then jump to where the new time is. Setting this to 0 will cause the console to track exactly with your timecode source. Setting this value above 0 will give you a bit of a buffer that will prevent the console from jumping around if you have an unstable timecode source.
Related