Virtual Faders vs. Repatching

Good day, all.

I am new to the Hog 4 family and am working with a rack Hog 4 PC server plus Hoglet 4.  I need some input from those of you who understand Hog 4 PC better than I.

I have a fixed installation that has fallen under my responsibility for an upcoming show.  The Hog 4 PC install was previously patched quickly by a contractor with no though to fixture purposes (basically patched 182 dimmer channels 1:1 to a desk channel with no regard to what is or is not plugged into them).  I have copied this Hog 4 PC show as a starting point for my work.

I am trying to quickly program a cue'd dance performance in the next two weeks with limited ability to re-aim fixtures and limited access to the space due to competing events.  I have managed to develop a magic sheet by hand so I understand what fixtures are aimed where and what desk channels are associated with them.  I now need to determine the fastest way to program a large number of cues for this performance.

In my reading and watching training videos online, I have determined that I (think I) have two options:
1) Use virtual faders to group the (randomly numbered) desk channels to purposes (SR/SC/SL Warm Washes, Top Cool/Top Warm Washes, Specials, etc.) that would allow me to bring up a number of virtual faders (like I would on an old analog board), record a cue, adjust, record another cue, etc.
2) Repatch all fixtures to "dotted" desk channels and use the keypad to quickly adjust levels of fixture groups, save a cue, adjust more with keypad input, save a cue, etc.

It appears the strength of the Hog "process" is based upon organizing your patching to these dotted desk channels and using the keypad to set levels.  But, if I can get virtual faders to work, it may save me a bunch of valuable time repatching.  Unfortunately, I am running into nothing but trouble with what takes precedence ("HTP" vs. "LTP"?) over fixture intensity.  I.E., my last cue has a set of fixtures (assigned to a particular virtual fader) at 100% and the virtual faders are not allowing me to reduce levels of those fixtures for a new cue.

Is it possible to operate the virtual faders like an analog board or am I better off spending the time to repatch?  Is there another path?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Art
  • Group Palettes are very helpful for programming shows. They are just a selection of fixtures. e.g 1 + 5 + 9 + 13
    Viewing/Accessing Groups: You can view Groups on screen through the Group Directory (double press [Group] button). They can also be typed in with the group key [Group] [1].
    Recording Groups: Select your Fixtures e.g. 1 + 5 + 9 + 13 [Record] [Group] [1] [Enter]. You can also push [Record] then tap on the group in the directory. If the group already exists, you will be asked if you want to
    • Insert (make a new group in the next available slot)
    • Merge (updates the group with anything new, that isn't in the group already)
    • Replace (deletes the existing group and records your new selection)
      Then name the group with [Set] key e.g Top Cool. Now you don't need to remember Fixture Numbers. Use the nicely labeled group to select them.
      In the Patch Window you can put Notes against each fixture. There is a handy feature called 'Auto Palettes' (top of the patch window) which can generate Groups by Notes.

Using Groups: Group 1 @ Full, or @ 50, or @ 0, then Record into a Cue List. Again, you can click on the group or type in [Group] [1]
      You can also select a group of lights, then apply an effect over them (like Smooth or Chaser for Intensity FX) Double Tap [Effects] for the directory, [Fan]+Offset Wheel, or use the Spread Wheel. Then Record that into a cue.

Recording a long Cue List.
      By default, it will have tracking enabled. So if you turn a light to full in Cue 1, it will stay at full in future cues on that list. It's meant to save to you time so you're not putting it into every future cue. If you don't want this feature, you can change the Cue List Options and select 'Cue Only' which will 'release' any previous cues values in the list.
      You can Merge and Replace Cues as well, if you need to update anything.