Hog 1000 - few questions: bugs or I'm just an idiot?

Did my first show on a 1000 this past week. I really like the console overall, but couldnt seem to figure out why it kept doing a few things.

:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

1. Pig + Choose didn't bring up the master's list right away, 75% of the time I'd have to press it a few times or even press others and go back before the window would pop up. 25% of the time it would pop right up. Am I missing something? It's quite annoying when trying to move around quickly.

2. Monitor + List would not bring up the List page on the monitor right off. I had to use Monitor + one of the Group/B/C/F buttons to bring up one of those windows before it would let me use Monitor + List to bring up the List page. Also quite annoying when trying to name things quickly. Also, is there anyway to name a cuelist if you don't have an external monitor?

3. This is just a question, how do you add in a fixture to a current show? The merge function would not let me merge the fixture library from the new show I had on disk (which came from the Wholehog II Library Downloader Utility and included the new fixture I was using that wasn't in the library on the console). I ended up starting from the new disk and then just merging my palletes back into that show from mine. Thankfully I wasn't to far into anything so I didnt have to worry about merging cues or anything. Whats the right way to do this? Say I have a pre-existing, fairly large show - and I want to add a new fixture to it - surely what I described above isn't the best way?

I don't have the software version handy but I can get it if needed. I assume its the latest since the console was bought brand new a month ago.

Thanks in advance...
  • Michael,

The stange view problems you are having could be due to the console needing a clean start. I have seen many strange things happen when the Hog 500/1000 desks are not clean started.

To do so, first make sure to save your show as this will erase it from the desk. Then hold down the Enter key as you power on the console. Now select clean start from the menu.

I suggest performing a clean start any time you start a new show on a Wholehog 2 system. Then if you have a continuous running show I would do it about once a week. As the system performs various calculations it will store information in its memory and this can get full and cause various problems.

Regarding the merging of libraries, please read this technote:
    www.flyingpig.com/support/addingHog2libraries.pdf

• Brad,

I performed a clean start on the console in the shop and reloaded the show. Very little change. For curiosity's sake, I did a second clean start. The Pig + Choose function now works 90% of the time - but still not 100%. The Monitor + List still does nothing. Opening something else on the external monitor first still allows the Cue List window to pop right up following that. Any more ideas? I had a buddy stop by that's familier with the Wholehog II system, and he thought it was quite strange as well. We did another clean start and just patched some LED fixtures - same results.

Thanks again...
  • Michael,

This does sound strange. I will need to investigate further and get back with you. What version of software are you running in your console? The current release is: V3.3, Build 177

thanks,
  • There is a possibility that a hardware issue is causing the problems. There may be a faulty button(s), or the circuitry for the buttons may have a bad trace or solder joint.
    Was there an external keyboard connected to the console? The keyboard could be faulty or something may have been sitting on top pressing a button down.
    You can look in the event monitor and see if a command is being sent repeatedly by a stuck button, or if the button is not responding at all when pressing it.
  • I will double check the software version this weekend. I'm 99.9% sure it's 177. Like I said before, the console is only a month old - I hope it's not a hardware issue already!

I thought about it being a bad button, but the choose button to be selected lights up after the sequence - just the cue options do not pop up. I would assume this means the button is working? Also, it isn't just one specific master, it could randomly be any of the 16. I thought it might be a bad [Pig] button, but I had the same results with both [Pig] buttons.

On the Cue List thing, the List button works for the external monitor when something else has been selected first and also always puts "List" into the command line when used alone - just won't bring up anything on the monitor unless something else has been selected first. Can anyone confirm that it should bring up the List Page when [Monitor] + [List] is used? Perhaps that isn't true and I just need to deal with it?

There was no external keyboard hooked up at anytime. I'll check the event monitor out and see what it says (or doesn't say!).

Thanks to the both of you, I'll let you know what I find out.
  • Brad, Mitch:

The console is indeed running v3.3, 177.

I *think* I may have figured out the master's list thing: I checked in the Event Monitor and all buttons are functioning properly as far as I can tell. Once again I played with opening the list, and quickly found my supposed problem again. However, I noticed this time that it happened when I excecuted the commands quickly. If I let it sort of reset by doing something else, then tried it again but slower - it works fine! Tried it again, and I think I may just be releasing the Pig button too soon: Pressing [Pig], then say [Master 5], wait till the master's list appears, then realease the [Pig] button - and it works every single time. If instead I instantly release the [Pig] button after pressing the master's choose, nothing happens. I guess I'm just moving too fast for the console? :Eyecrazy:

So I guess the only question I have left is about the monitor. Can someone please confirm that it should or should not instantly pop up when [Monitor] +[List] is pressed?

Thanks again, hope this makes sense -Michael
  • Hello, I didn't undestand at first. The MONITOR + LIST behavior is the way the software is, nothing wrong with your console there.
    You can open any window on the console's main display by holding down the PIG button while pressing LIST or CHOOSE for example. This allows for naming etc without an external monitor.
    Windows such as the Program window, and the Outout window can only be opened on an external monitor.

Mitch
Related