Change type Compound fixture to Compound fixture...easily.

Hi,
Is there any way to simply change type between a compound fixture and another compound fixture.
I understand what exploding a compound fixture is but i don't understand how it is then possible to change type from an exploded compound fixture to another compound fixture which you can't explode or is not in the show yet?
What ideally i'm looking for is a quick and easy way to change type between compound fixtures.

I deal with a lot of festival systems and don't have the programming time available to go through cues individually
when changing type with compound fixtures.
Dealing with a huge amount of LED bars/LED strobes/LED wash fixtures that are compound is becoming increasingly difficult.

Currently trying to edit a show that has 50+ strobes in an extended in 62 channel mode which despite having several other versions of that strobe programmed already and in the show i cannot change type (easily).

Thanks Cormac
  • There is not an "easy" way to change type of a compound fixture. You basically have to change type of each part to the other part of the other compound fixture.

1. explode the compound fixtures
    2. select the part(s) you want to change type of and hit change type
    3. Check the box that says "View compound type parts" which will show you all the parts of a compound fixture
    4. choose the part in the list and hit OK.
    5. Repeat for the rest of the parts of the compound fixtures.
  • Hi Maegan,
    Thank you for this.
    I forgot the last step which was view compound type parts.
    I'm currently working with JDC1 fixtures in 62 channel mode.
    I don't think I would have enough time to change type everytime I need to change a fixture type if this is nessesary.
    On Wednesday next I have the same fixture in 68 channel mode so I would need to repeat the entire process for every 100 fixtures which effectively means changing type for a few thousand fixtures.
    IMHO long term there needs to be a better solution than manually telling the console which part to change type to/from.
    Thank you for the reply.
  • I agree this should be easier. I believe it's been requested, but I'll bring it up to our team here.

For those fixtures specifically, I don't believe a change type is necessary. The difference between the 62 channel and 68 channel is what Hog calls the Pattern fixture.
    If you go from 62 to 68, you just need to repatch the fixtures with the pattern fixture. If you go from 68 to 62, then you need to unpatch that pattern fixture and repatch without it.
  • The main issue for change type with multitype fixtures is the order of the cells/parts.
    Also the number of cells etc...
    There is a request for a clone-matrix so that you can choose which part should be cloned to the new one.

Thats why I always use the single parts in combination with dotted user numbers.
    Change type is a fast process.... 3-5 clicks...
    After that an aggregated fixtures behaves like a compound
  • Thanks Marc,
    That is helpful and yep i suppose i could patch every fixture as a single part.
    Agreed i could change type to every single part but ideally what i'm hoping for is something a little more streamlined.
    I'll give it a go on the next occasion and see where i get to.

Thanks C
  • Even if you patched it as a compound, with compound explode you could split it into its parts. Doesnt change a thing in fixture handling, just makes cloning and change type easier
  • Yep...when you start getting into patching large amounts single part fixtures.
    Like 50/60/70 of each fixture type i find myself spending a large amount of time
    just patching the show which isn't what i want to ideally spend time doing.
    I'm learning that there are lots of other ways to get to a point but i'd like to see a quicker more streamlined
    approach...dare i say it like other consoles.
    Appreciate the feedback.
  • Remember:
    Also dotted fixtures can be patched in sequence
    So doesnt take longer than patching compounds. No need to patch the parts on its own.
    The only difference is really that you see the single parts.
    After that selection, patching and so on is the same.
    Selecting the whole number will always select the whole fixture incl. all subparts.

On other consoles you also have these issues or others when it comes to cloning. Working with instances on a GMA is also not that easy when cloning
  • Hi Marc,
    Is it possible when using fixture builder to "copy type" from more than one fixture to make the new fixture?
    I'm testing something here and it would be helpful if i could add the 3 dotted single parts to create a new fixture.
    Yes i know i can patch the dotted fixtures but it would be helpful in this instance if i had a compound fixture for time/ease/speed.
    I've kept this within this thread as it's the same conversation (for me anyway)
    A situation where having a compound fixture which has been set to an extended mode (single parts) that i don't currently have in my show-file.

Thanks Cormac
  • Hey Cormac. No this is not possible yet.
    Add the single parts, apply the dotted number (which is done very fast) and after that use it like a compound.