record merge...

jankirchhoffjankirchhoff Registered User
I do a lot of "record merge" actions and it really annoys me that I first have to press "more" in order to be able to activate the merge function.
Isn't it possible to introduce some "shift"-key to make record a record merge?
like pressing <some key>+RECORD cue 12 enter? and another shift key for record remove and another one for record selected?

I think the fact that record merge has been easier on the hog2 has been discussed before, but I can't find that thread.

Jan

Comments

• DeRudDeRud Registered User
    edited April 2006
    Hay Jan,

you have a MERGE button on the III

Best from Berlin
    Denis
  • jankirchhoffjankirchhoff Registered User
    edited April 2006
    Hmmm....
    After having used the programmer wing with hog2pc for a year it seems like I still ignore all the keys that have not been used with hog2pc... ;)
    I'm an idiot, I guess I should just start to read the manual from the start again.

But I still think it would be nice to have a shortcut for record remove and record selected...

Jan
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2006
    Jan,

I've always found Remove to be easy to get to on the record toolbar. I suppose we could come up with some syntax like "Record Delete 1" to record remove directly from the command line, but the syntax is a bit confusing and I don't think it would speed things up much.

Record Selected is a bit tougher. It's on the More toolbar, so it takes a bit more effort to get to. No logical syntax is jumping immediately to mind for this action. An argument could certainly be made to move Selected onto the Record toolbar. That would at least save one button press.

What do you think?
    edited April 2006
    Hmmm.. I guess changing the toolbar-buttons will confuse a lot of people?
    I use all these things like merge, record selected, record remove a lot and the only thing I personally like touchscreens for is selecting palettes or running scenes... I love to have everything on hard keys - or at least to have the possibility to use something like "shift/ctrl/alt + key"-combinations to avoid using the touchscreen when doing stuff over and over (like updating cues or palettes, i.e. you have lots of stuff in your programmer already and then do record merge selected over and over for different fixtures during rehearsals).

Right now I can't really think of any shortcut that makes sense... I might just need to think about it again for a few days...
  • quinnquinn Registered User
    edited April 2006
    yeah, when programming gets hard-core, nothing beats touch-typing on real keys. and the touchscreens can feel soooooo far away at times, even more so when they're still out with last week's gig!

as for record-selected, i'm totally curious as to why "/ Record 1" doesn't accomplish exactly that...
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited April 2006
    teerickson wrote:
    Jan,

I've always found Remove to be easy to get to on the record toolbar. I suppose we could come up with some syntax like "Record Delete 1" to record remove directly from the command line, but the syntax is a bit confusing and I don't think it would speed things up much.

Any chance to use PIG+Record for Record remove?
    edited April 2006
    Quinn,

Can you make an argument for why / Record would make sense for Record Selected?
    edited April 2006
    Sami,

Pig + Record makes reasonable sense to me for Record Remove.

Does anyone else have an opinion about this?
    edited April 2006
    PIG+record for record remove sounds good.
    I still look for something for record selected...

Jan
  • stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited April 2006
    PIG+record sounds good but perhaps record + delete would have more sense and we could keep PIG+record for "real" recording option like recording IPCBET from programmer in palette or all other record possibilities we do not have think yet .
  • quinnquinn Registered User
    edited April 2006
    sure! these forums are fun :)

if you've got a ton of stuff in your Programmer, you can use "1+2 Record 3" to record only 1+2 into 3 by
    utilizing the Source of the SMCOD structure.

i think "/" should be a valid way to refer to Current Selection:
    "/ Live Enter" => Current Selection / Active = select only the live instruments that are already in the
    current selection.
    "Live / Enter" => Active / = select all live instruments without enforcing a (null) intersection.

so if:
    the left of / is (null), then it's treated as a Current Selection

and
    the right if / is (null), then the left / is returned unfiltered

then:
    "/" should return Current Selection, unfiltered.

"1+2 Record 3" records 1+2 into 3, "/ Record 3" should similarly record Current Selection into 3

it's not as much an idea for the "shortcut" to Record Selected as it is a finger-friendly way to effectively record selected without needing a crazy chord to do it from the keypad...
    edited April 2006
    stephlight wrote:
    PIG+record sounds good but perhaps record + delete would have more sense and we could keep PIG+record for "real" recording option like recording IPCBET from programmer in palette or all other record possibilities we do not have think yet .
    Record + delete is not bad, though I prefer Pig+Record...it feels more like unrecord=remove :) and I think Pig+Record is a better arrangement for fingers...good when using two hands or one hand...

But...the main thing is, it would be nice to have a good shortcut for Remove.
    In theatre enviroment many times lot of things is done on the fly in a hurry and quite a lot of removing is needed to get things back on track.
    edited April 2006
    Somehow quinn makes sense... though

Group # / Live Enter and Live / Group # Enter has the same result

so I guess / Live Enter and Live / Enter should have the same result...

and what would happen in situation like this / Group # or Group # / or Group # / / Group #
    edited May 2006
    Record Remove could be Record - so we could do Record + to record merge
  • chrisfchrisf Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2006
    Hi ,

I am unsure why we need record + to do a merge as there is a hard merge button right near the record button.

I would vote for Pig + Record for remove as it fits best with our syntax imo.

Record selected could be denoted by Record / or by / Record (as quinn points out) prior to saying what you wanted to record.

Chrisf

HES
    edited May 2006
    hello chris, happy to talk to u again ( i came with P. Marty in England for a hog 3 training and we talk at phone during a hard show in Grece (at botanicos club)) i hope all is as good as possible for you, I missed you at Paris SIEL . i just talk about record + because some people don't like to use touch screen, or prefer to use key pad.

edit: I had not seen "merge" button, of course this is best way with record merge.
  • chrisfchrisf Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2006
    How could i forget those nights of unblocking!!!!

My only issue is that you do not need to leave the key pad as there is a already hard merge button right next to the Record button. Hence Record + (along with Record - mentioned earlier) would be a waste of a key press for merge. It would be an extra key press to do something you are able to do in one already.

I however agree with you that it would be useful to allow for other functions on the record tool bar to be mapped to keypresses.
    edited May 2006
    Btw, does this pig+record as remove mess up pig+record as paste...
    Though...we can use pig+merge as remove :)
  • pbeasleypbeasley Registered User
    edited June 2006
    What about 'Record' + '-' as remove? or does this already do something that I am forgetting.
    edited June 2006
    Paul,

Good idea. I've logged this request as enhancement #9537.

Thanks.