Nano Hog Front Panel Fault

I have a hog PC setup with a Nano Wing (and a Super Widget installed in it).

I've just upgraded the system to Windows 10, and Hog 4 PC to v3.12. Straight after I noticed that certain front panel key presses registered as multiple key presses, and using the hardware diagnostic I can see that each of the 8 keys on the right hand end of the panel 'light up' a slightly jagged horizontal row of 15 other switches. I assume that the front panel is scanned as a 16x8 matrix, and the symptoms look like a short somewhere in the matrix, ie a hardware issue. This hardware test runs separately to the Hog show software.

This is what the diagnostic shows after pressing 'right arrow' and 'all'

But I wanted to check this isn't a possible software issue, so can I ask if anyone else has had those symptoms? I have done the following-

I have mapped the wing and the super widget in the v3.12 software, and DO have dmx coming out of the widget.

I have also reloaded the nano firmware by powering up while pressing Next Page/Choose 1/ Choose 2, and had a confirmation flash after 15 secs or so.

This isn't the 'ghosting' issue of keys mapping wrong on a one-to-one basis, and for which there is a technical bulletin- the nano wing in question did have that fault and was fixed about 6 months ago.

Cheers,
Andrew
  • Photo may not have come through- this link should work-

drive.google.com/file/d/1MGRvKrrIB9MGqBginvI7DmmwOCQAqPbk/view?usp=sharing

• Hi Andrew, it may be related to ghosting, and the same modification done for ghosting may solve this if it has not been done. If you are comfortable opening the Nano, send photos of the rear of the front panel PCB of a few components we may be able to tell if it has had the work performed.

In the middle of the faders are two components at locations, U28 and U29.
    About 1/3 of the way in from the left side will be U23.
    If you can take good photos of these areas, we may be able to tell if the mod has been done. You can send to mitch.peebles@highend.com

As a test you may try removing the wing and any USB drives from the PC and reinstalling the software v.3.12. If nothing changes possibly downgrade to v.3.11 or v.3.10. If the problem continues, it may be a hardware issue.

If sending it for repair is an option, if it is only the ghosting mod that is needed, the repair will be free of charge.
  • Hi Mitch,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The PCB has had the mods set out in the technical bulletin done by me (as I needed the console pretty soon) about six months ago and has worked ok since then. When this new issue arose, I did open the nano and take a good look at those 6 components and they seem ok visually- but of course there may be a fault that's harder to spot. The console did have a trip in the back of my car after the last show on v3.11 and windows 7 which could have undone the repair.

I've also connected the nano to a laptop that I use as a backup which still has windows 7 and hog pc v3.11 and the problem is still there (even with another firmware reload).

So it does look like a key scanning hardware fault and quite possibly related to the ghosting issue. I'm in the UK (just West of London)- could you point me in the right direction for a repair?