Hog 4 OSC TCP/IP

Hello,
I am looking to control Hog 4 OSC through TCP connection. It works fine with a UDP connection but when I enable TCP I get a connection (and MIDI Viewer shows the connection) But no OSC commands are coming through. Exact same setup except I'm sending the OSC packet down TCP instead of UDP. Anyone actually use OSC with TCP?

Comments

• nzpiemannzpieman Registered User
    I tried it once during a tour on a wireless network and tablet. It still worked switching to TCP (was using UDP successfully) but it became quite laggy as I moved around the venue. It was trying to verify every packet with TCP, not great on a 802.11g network, average wireless router etc.

Are you using a console or Hog4PC? What OSC device are you using?
  • morte615morte615 Registered User
    Using HOG 4 PC hardwired (in the same switch actually).
    Did you have to do anything different to the OSC packets between UDP and TCP?
    I am using the exact same script just changing from a UDP send to TCP send so everything beside the transport protocol should be the exact same.
    Midi Viewer shows the TCP connection, and when sent with UDP it shows the commands come in but with TCP I don't see any commands show up in Midi Viewer after it's connected.
  • maeganw12maeganw12 Registered User, HES Staff
    Which device and software are you using to send OSC?
    Sending from a QSYS Core 110
    I
    Thanks. Is this receiving another signal and then triggering the Hog via OSC? I'm not familiar with the device.
    You'll want to make sure the QSYS Core 110is using TCP to send the OSC command.
    The QSYS Core is generating the signal based on a custom LUA script. The script works just fine in UDP but seems to fail in TCP. The Core is outputting TCP and the MIDI Viewer in Hog sees the TCP connection created so I know that it's being connected but it does not see any OSC commands enter the MIDI Viewer.
    The only thing I am doing different in the script between UDP and TCP is opening a TCP socket and then using TCP:Write instead of opening a UDP socket and sending UDP:Send
    Do you mind emailing me maegan.wilson@highend.com a picture of the MIDI viewer when it says the connection is created?
    I won't be back to work till Friday, but I will send you screen shots then.
    Thanks!
  • datadriverdatadriver Registered User, HES Staff
    morte615: If you are sending via TCP/IP you must first send the size of the OSC packet as a 32 bit integer (see http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0) Hog expects that in network byte order.
    Is this different than what it looks for in UDP then?
  • datadriverdatadriver Registered User, HES Staff
    Yes. Think of data you send over the network as pieces of a puzzle that form a picture. With UDP you get all the pieces at once. With TCP you might get one piece, then another, then another, etc. So with TCP you need to know the number of pieces prior to attempting to put them all together to form the complete picture. That's why the OSC spec says to send the size first, so the receiver knows when to put together the pieces. In this analogy "pieces" are bytes and the "puzzle picture" is an OSC packet. :)]