MIDI and Velocity

Is this possible on the HOG 1000:?
with a specific note on a keyboard - let's say note 1 - trigger a group - let's say group 1- with specific velocity of the note.
Then with that same note trigger another group with other velocities.
I'm thinking the midimap.txt file would look something like this:
others:12:1 = note:1 = velocity 1-50
others:12:2 = note:1 = velocity 25-100
others:12:3 = note:1 = velocity 75-127
where the groups velocities ovelap slightly.
If anyone know or has anymore information for me about MIDI and the Hog 1k it would be appreciated.
/Jesse
  • Jesse,

It's been quite a while since I've had to write a midimap.txt file, so I'll have to dig into this a bit and let you know what I find.

If my memory serves, there are a few problems with what you're trying to do.

midimap.txt allows you to map a MIDI note message to a Hog2 event.

First, I don't think you can specify both Group and a Group number. The numeric keypad event actually has its own prefix, keypad:.

Second, I haven't tried specifying a velocity range, but I'm not seeing anything in the manual that would lead me to believe that this is possible. The group event is just a button press. It isn't tied to intensity.

Third, I know that you can't map a single note to more than one event, so even if it were possible to specify velocities, you probably wouldn't be able to have ranges for the same note that overlap.

As I said above, I'm not entirely sure about this, so I'll have to get back to you.

One thing you may want to look at is using a intermediate device or program, like MidiOx, that may allow you to set up custom mappings to transform your MIDI note events between your transmitting device and HogPC.
  • Thank You very much.

I'm thinking that this might not be possible then but if you find that any of these work than that would be great. otherwise i'll have to look into something else. Thank you
    /Jesse
  • Jesse,

You're very welcome.
    Unfortunately, I was correct. You will need to look for a device or program that can do custom mapping to get the result you're looking for.
Related