Specific chase effect

So I've been searching for a while and I can't seem to find out how to do this one chase effect. I'm not even sure what to call it. Maybe a fill chase?
I want to create a chase effect where the lights stay on and then bounce back. e.g.

oxxxxxxx
ooxxxxxx
oooxxxxx
ooooxxxx
oooooxxx
ooooooxx
ooooooox
oooooooo
ooooooox
ooooooxx
oooooxxx
ooooxxxx
oooxxxxx
ooxxxxxx
oxxxxxxx

I feel like I could use the mark on or mark off effects, but I can't seem to get those to do what I want. So maybe I'm wrong.
Any help and suggestions are welcome.
  • I think this might be best in a cuelist. You can then change the fade time to 0 and specify a delay time for each cue. Then set the cuelist to a chase.

Edit for more clarification:
    Each step you listed would be a cue. An example with 4 lights:
    Cue 1: 1 at full
    Cue 2: 2 at full
    Cue 3: 3 at full
    Cue 4: 4 at full
    Cue 5: 4 at 0
    Cue 6: 3 at 0
    Cue 7: 2 at 0
    Cue 8: 1 at 0

Once the cuelist is set to a chase it'll loop causing the bouncing back and forth.
  • Another option is two cues again with 4 fixtures as an example
    Cue 1: all lights at 100% with delay fanned 0 > 3
    Cue 2: all lights at 0% with delay fanned 3 > 0
    And put a wait time on cue 1 to follow cue 2

This example will space each turning on by 1 second. If you know how long you want the effect to last like a total of 10 seconds per cycle. 1 delay will be fanned 0>4 and the other 4

Going the fanned delay time will also give you the option to switch the in/outs on the fly.

Also we spent about 15 minutes here at HES to figure out different ways to achieve this! :)
  • There are several ways to do this actually (4 of us here at HES huddled around a console debating the best, the fastest, and the easiest)

Personally, I would go the Pixel map route:

Map your 8 fixtures 1 row 8 Across.
    Make a pixel map layer around the fixtures
    Assign your fixtures to the plot
    Pixel map layer @ full, Media folder 1 content 1 (full white bar)
    Set your X position "-50%"
    Make a Sawtooth effect in the effect editor on X position Set the size to 50% and the desired rate. The image should bounce between -100% and 0%
    Record this as a palette, cue, scene whatever...

This route allows you to add and subtract fixtures easily as well as to transfer to other media content, and since it is an effect you can fine tune it to how you need....

"More than one way to skin a hog!"
  • Thanks for all the advice. I finally was able to get around to trying this out.
    I went with the pixel map method and was able to get it working great.