Play Speed parameter on Pixelmap Layer

Hi guys,

There's been some discussion about erratic crossfades on the Play Speed parameter of the Pixelmap Layer fixture. I said I'd take a look and it certainly isn't working well in v3.9.0.

When the Path is set to Linear for crossfading between 2 cues, or if set as a manual crossfade or IPCB crossfader, the content does not change play speed smoothly.

This appears to have been the case from the beginning of pixel mapping (checked with v3.0.1)

Cheers

Colin
  • None of those things affect the play speed parameter, which is used to calculate the video frame
  • I'm confused by this response.

If I have 2 cues, and those cues are changing the play speed, then when transitioning from one cue to the other using a linear path the change in the play speed of the content is erratic. The same thing applies if the List has a single cue containing a play speed value, set as a IPCB crossfader.

They absolutely affect the play speed parameter...???
  • To clarify, play speed is not the sole factor here. There is also the DMX refresh rate and the video frame rate of the content. If you want to hit every frame in the content the DMX rate and frame rate should be the same. For example, if play speed was constant with disjoint rates, the content might seem "jumpy" periodically as frames are occasionally going to be skipped. If you then exacerbate this with speed changes you could potentially be skipping over frames at an "unequal pace" as the speed changes. I'm just suggesting this as the perfect starting point. Now if you are using static content and spinning/rotating it there is a lot of math but it has been unchanged for many releases. Hope this helps
  • I´m with Colin.
    When you look at a mediaserver and change the playspeed of content it gets stepy to when you are too slow, but what we see here is really not working correct from what you expect in comparison to a mediaserver. It also is happening when you make clips faster.
    Just look at an AXON ;)....