Question about multiple cuelists directory with multiiple users in an educational enviroment

Hi guys,
I am studying at a music industry college, and this year they just bought a new Hedge Hog 4 console.
As were trying to things figured out, I would like to get your thoughts or recomdations on something
Being an education facility we have multiple students using it for their shows each having their own cue lists.
Without having multiple show files, as they would each have to have their own patch, and plot, I would like everyone to use the same default showfile that would contain only the 1 default plot, where each student would be able to load in their own cuelist directory and there fore own playback config on the faders with their own banks.
I tried this but when I did an import, each cue had Import listen under the name.
Can anyone offer any solutions, in a multiple user enviroment where we want to use the same showfile.but different Cue lists and playback config.
Any thoughts and recommendations are much apreciacted,
Thanks,
soundguy
  • Make a base showfile that includes just patch and Plot1.
    back that up and use the backup to start teh show from, then rename it for each student...

• Each student has their own cuelist and their own page for the playbacks?
  • Its early stage right now, so there isn`t a standard practice but it will start picking up very quickly, so I am just trying to come up with a standard practice that everyone can use.
    The idea some things stay by deafault, like patch and plot positional presets, color, efffects ect. Which each student can add something to it, and we can all benifit from the work. IE some of those effects can take some time to program, which is nice for other students to use, however when it comes to cues and the playback of those cues thats where it would be nice to have student import their own cue lists (directory), into the console so they have their own setup, on both the touch screen and playbacks, without changing showfiles and keeping the other pallets that we collectivley added too.
    You can import and export cuelists however when you do every cue has imported listed under the name
    Thanks
  • Personally, having had just spent the last 5 years at two different colleges.

I would provide your students with a base showfile; patch, basic palettes, some views etc. Then give each student their own file.

From there I would go through the Show Merge function with everyone, so that way if the patch changes, you can just merge it from the new show file to the students existing show file.

If student A makes a bunch of effects, and some other students want it, they can just merge from the student A file.
    That way there is a much less chance of, “HE messed up my showfile!” and “Who deleted my palettes?”
    Personally I just found this to be easier than to share a showfile. It really just depends on the students and the intricacies of the space, so make the decision that you think will work best with your students.

---------

If you are deadest on a single showfile, give each student a specified range of items:

Teacher: Views 1-10 Palettes 1-100 Page 1 for faders. (Students can use these or make their own, they just cant edit these)
    Student A Views 11-20 Palettes 101-200 Page 2 for faders
    Student B Views 21-30 Palettes 201-300 Page 3 for faders
    ETC ETC ETC

You could also set up the Views to automatically change pages using comment macros.

• You've had some good advice there.
    May I just add, if a student creates some great effects etc that the others like and wish to use, would it not be a better learning experience for them to attempt to recreate them in their own show file and so discover the process involved as opposed to just using someone else's programming?
  • ^^^ I agree with this so much.

One of my teachers in college played some effects on stage running, and we had to determine what kind of wave and under what modifications was happening to produce the effects.