What the heck happend here:

Jan OpsethJan Opseth Registered User
Take a look at the included picture, the console locked up complilty!

And it was showing of this nice lighting pattern at the playback controls,
is it a kind of message?

hog3lock.jpeg

Comments

• bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2006
    Jan,

Do you have any more information regarding the software version, what you were doing, what happened on the screens, etc? Were the LED's flashing or static?

thanks,
  • Jan OpsethJan Opseth Registered User
    edited April 2006
    Sorry for not including this in the first post,
    Software is 1.3.8 b956
    Had some mac´s in the programmer, the mouse pointer went all the way up until the top right screen as there was something that pushed the screen, tried to disable right touch screen, but that didnt help, all did hang, couldnt open shows (to take backup), first the leds (all) did flash very RANDOMLY on the whole console, after an power cycle it only was static as on the picture.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited April 2006
    Uh oh...has the "Christmas Tree" crash returned to haunt us again?:eek: :Eyecrazy:

You may have a processor problem....if you are able - make sure all your chips are seated properly.
  • nibornibor Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited April 2006
    Make sure you have no lose conections in the console, or even a fader not pushed in, this was happening to me after a bummpy shipping.

Robin,
  • teericksonteerickson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2006
    This could certainly be related to a loose connection between the face panel and the CPU board. It's pretty much impossible that this is the "Christmas Tree" issue becuase that was a problem with a very old front panel firmware version that was resolved. All consoles shipped after that time included updated firmware and we updated almost every existing console in the field.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited April 2006
    Tom,

What was the timeframe on the old firmware issues....prior to 3 years ago?

Jon
  • amir877amir877 Registered User
    edited April 2006
    Wow...i wish my Hog do somting like that...this is cool !!! :headbang:

The "Halt" can be green??? and the flash to ??? wow...:notworthy:
  • Akito.HAkito.H Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited April 2006
    amir877,
    All the colors of LED can be made sure in the console test.
    Connect PS2 mouse.
    Press and hold Pig key.
    Turn on console.
    Select console test,Enter.
    Select Front panel Test.

You can see all the colors of LED.

Thanks,

Akito
  • amir877amir877 Registered User
    edited April 2006
    Wow thanks Akito,
    ill never see this screen, ill never think that Zeus can do things like thet !!! :notworthy:

Thare is another secret screens that i should know about ?? :D

:hogsign: FOR LIFE !!!

Amir
    edited April 2006
    amir877,

These are screens to test hardware.

Please confirm it with this screen when you doubt the breakdown of hardware.

Moreover, the mouse of PS2 must connect surely and use this screen.
    Or you will not be able to control the console.
    edited April 2006
    Jon,

Based on the information I have, it was almost 4 years ago. Also remember that we updated almost every existing console to the newer firmware revision. I would really be amazed if anyone actually experienced and reported the original "Christmas Tree" problem.
    edited April 2006
    Tom,
    I have one doubt.
    How do I make it to a new firmware?
    Is it Bios?
    Thanks,
    Akito
    edited April 2006
    Akito,

The front panel firmware is actully something that cannot be upgraded by users. Upgrading requires us to plug into a header on the front panel board to flash the chip.
    edited April 2006
    Tom,
    I see.
    Thank you for the answer.
    Akito
    edited April 2006
    Folks, I can assure you all that it wasnt any fun at all, with an designer that wonder what the hell was happinging, and asked: You shurly did take a backup did you?.... eh...... I did not! , so I could have swapped Harddrives with the other console, but as we didn´t have any major programming since last time, we just wrote of the values from the output!

The console was sent to the dealer and the service tech called me today and said that it was a button on the frontpanel that had shorted, so he said he shuld take it on an long time test.

:friday:
    edited April 2006
    Jan,

I'm sorry this caused you hassles, but I'm glad you were able to find out what caused your problem. This is another good reminder for all of us to run backups to ZIP or CD frequently.

Would the console not restart at all after you had this problem?
    I'm wondering if it would have been possible to restart and then run a backup.
    edited April 2006
    Tom,

It would restart but it did lock up at once the log on screen did come up!

So I never was able to get to the shows/backup option!
  • sicklouiesicklouie Registered User
    edited April 2006
    Jan Opseth wrote:
    The console was sent to the dealer and the service tech called me today and said that it was a button on the frontpanel that had shorted, so he said he shuld take it on an long time test.

I have noted after working on the Hog III's we own that it is possible to catch the fader leads in between the bump button and the front panel face plate when putting the face plate back on. I would recommend taking great care that all faders are properly seated, wires cleared and the face plate correctly positioned prior to screwing it down. There is also a slight bit of adjustment to the plate. I've noticed that the rate thruster and intensity wheels can scrape slightly and you can correct this by tweeking the plate carefully before tightening down.
  • HillbillyHillbilly Registered User
    edited April 2006
    teerickson wrote:
    Jon,

Based on the information I have, it was almost 4 years ago. Also remember that we updated almost every existing console to the newer firmware revision. I would really be amazed if anyone actually experienced and reported the original "Christmas Tree" problem.

To throw in my .02 here...it was indeed about 4 years ago. Fall of 02! There have been a few issues that would try and duplicate the Christmas Tree, but the front panel upgrade did indeed take care of things. Ah, back in the day...I remember the first time I saw that one. Things like that never happen at a good time. And don't tell anyone, but I know of at least one user that upgraded a few of those!