Transitions between songs in different cue lists

I am new to Hog and taking over programming at a church. I am trying to program songs and service elements in separate cue lists so that they can be easily moved around and even reused in future services. I am having a hard time with cleanly transitioning between cue lists.

I have been recording an empty cue before the first real cue so that I can mark that first real cue. I then use macros at the end of each cue list to play the empty cue in the next cue list and change the master. In the first real cue I use another macro to release the previous cue list. This sort of works but there are a few issues

1. Mark doesn’t grab fixtures that were anywhere in the pervious cue list even though they have a 0% intensity. This means they fade intensity and position at the same time.
2. The colors of lights that are on in both the previous cue list and in the new cue list sometimes fade to white and then snap to the new color
3. Lights that were on in the pervious cue list but are not in the first real cue of the new cue list fade out and home at the same time. Ideally they would fade out before homing.

I feel like I am missing something. How should I be doing this? Even if my approach worked it is a lot of macros that have the master number hard coded. This means I can’t move things around without changing all of the macros.
  • Hi,
    I'm wondering if you recorded what you might call a preset cue that you used at the beginning and end of every list would that help?
    I sometimes do this by grabbing all the relevant fixtures and record intensity/colour/beam/focus into a pallette (make sure you enable the relevant masks) I then use this as a preset between songs at the beginning and end of every cuelist.
    If you have fixtures that are not used within specific cuelists you obviously need to think about what will happen to them if they are included in a preset cue.
    In relation to colour and intensity values changing or fading you may need to to edit the out time values? 

I find using pages to release cuelists Perhaps easier than always using macros which may be overly complicated and hard to track.

Hope this helps?
    C

• I like the idea of use pallets for the end and intro cues. That eliminate the need for marking the intro.

The other creative solution I found was touching every fixture in the intro cue will release the other cue lists as long as I have persist on override turned off.

In the end things are more complicated because mark won't override attributes that have a value from another cue list regardless of the current intensity. This wouldn't be as big of an issue if the "off" value worked.

I think the color issue was related to switching between CMY and HSI colors. I found that the auto created color palettes use CMY for some reason.
  • An update incase anyone stumbles on this in the future.

There is 1 big bug that I am working around. Mark does not work if a fixture has ANY attribute from another playing cue or scene. The intensity doesn't matter and the priority of the list or scene doesn't matter.

I am building each song in its own list. After I program the first cue I record the position, beam and color from all fixtures that I am using in the first cue into a palette. Then I go to the last cue of the previous song and apply that palette. This effectively marks those fixtures. Then I record an empty cue 2 before my "2nd" cue in the song. I manually play cue 2 after releasing the pervious song. This triggers marking the next cue and avoids the bug that prevents marking fixtures that have values from another list.

To transition between songs I pull up the fader for the next song during the last cue of the previous song. Then I hit play on the next song while fading out the previous song. I have the fader set to intensity with release at 0 turned on.

This is working pretty well but can be difficult to execute when song transitions are fast.
  • Mark has always just been respecting the cuelist where it is located.
    Dont know if other consoles handle that in a different way.
    But with HOG it has always been like that
  • Mark was somewhat fixed in 3.7. It now will mark fixtures after the other clue list is released most of the time. There are still times that mark doesn't but I haven't figured out why yet.